• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official 2013 Modern Age Speculation Challenge

322 posts in this topic

Perhaps we could have divisions (us and uk or us and abroad) with the two winners facing off with a specific challenge in January. Something like taking your best book and selling it in January or even having each winner consign their best book with MCS and see who wins in open auction.

Allowing only one sale and using a neutral forum like MCS would level the playing field shipping wise. It would cost a bit more to send it to them but the. They ship it out so extra shipping costs would not be reflected in the final sale.

This would alter the rules a bit on having cash in hand at the end of the year but for those in contention, they could plan ahead, just hold one book at the end.

I'll have an update at the end of the month. I think monthly leader board updates is the way to go.

Plus, well, we haven't had that many updates in the last couple of weeks. I'm beginning to think that there are only a few people still into this. But perhaps others are just sending their books in to be graded. (shrug)

This feels like the kind of contest that would go in fits and bursts, but we'll see.

Part of me thinks we should do this for 6 months instead of a full year though. But that depends on how many people are still involved next month and the month after...

Whilst this was a great idea,full of noble intent and no small amount of work by Reno and Boozad - there is a huge gaping hole.

As stated by Boozad, its time.

Non US and Canadians have no chance due to time constraints.

An american can hit his LCS,buy,list,sell and go to their Lcs again while the rest of the world are still watching their post box!

No fault of anyone,just that the USA is where it all happens.

Tax is another.

A book for $2.99 in USA is nearly $6 here in Australia.

And honestly - if I find a 'sleeper', I certainly won't be disclosing until I have as many as I need,or can afford.

I only disclosed R.I.P.D because my books are sitting in the queue at CGC - anyone wants to jump on - go ahead.

They are now anywhere from $50 - $80, not the $4 - $20 I paid.

If I sold my $4 RIPD for $50 6 weeks later on the back of the $200,000,000 film then I would have stood next to no chance of picking many others up, as you guys would be all over this like a rash!

It was a great idea.

SO

Maybe have a 'continental' challenge?

1) Usa and Canada

2) UK and Europe

3) Rest of the world.

The 3 winners play-off in a stictly numerical challenge, whereby I mean the competition is played on a transaction,not time based criteria.

Each of the 3 champs have 6 transactions only.

As soon as all 3 have finished (all kept secret by a moderator) then the transactions are revealed round by round.

Just a thought.

Again well done to Boozad and Reno for their efforts!

Yeah, we've certainly learned a few things. For me, the ease or difficulty of buying the comics and then the ease or difficulty in selling is certainly the issue. I'm also sure that desire and interest in the contest is always a huge factor.

Boozad and I have discussed limiting the purchases/sales to one a week or something along those lines, but we haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. We want to see how it goes through a full month first. But to me, it makes some amount of sense to crown a victor after a shortened but predetermined period and then discuss how to improve the challenge (if there's even enough interest to continue).

I certainly wouldn't quit. I'm not suggesting it's to the point where no one is playing. It's just been quiet for awhile. I think everyone who's still playing should continue pushing ahead at least until we share the standings for the first month. We can all reevaluate at that point, if necessary.

You dont get a spreadsheet. You simply start messaging the mods of this challenge your sales/purchases with proof of sales

You mostly have to keep track of everything yourself. They keep track of it on their spreadsheet which is private to them. We cant see it

I believe a couple of people asked for the spreadsheet we're using, but I've noticed a few hiccups in it and haven't gotten it out yet. As long as everyone is sending us updates through PM, we're still good to go. We just need to go through it to make sure everything's adding up correctly before sending it out and before releasing the first official rankings.