• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,818 posts in this topic

Amazing Spider-Man #361 2nd print - $20 to $25.

Venom #1 Gold - $65 to $100ish book these days.

I thougt ASM #361 (2nd print) was hot too, but I just sold 361-363 plus another spider-man in nm for a grand total of $9.99 plus shipping on ebay. Ebay basically sucks.

I did sell a Hellblazer #1 NM- for $23.50 though.

Just because you list a book it doesn't mean it will sell for the going average. A lot of other things come into play like what else the seller has for sale and multiple bidders (bidding war).

Like listing it as an auction maybe?

I did list it as an auction. It wasn't a buy it now. I put up 4 spider-man books in a lot that were related to & included Carnage's 1st app(2nd prt) in nm condition that got a total of one bid in 7 days.

My Hellblazer #1 NM- in the same time period had a starting bid of $8.88 got 17 bids and a final bid of $23.50.

I did list it as an auction. It wasn't a buy it now. I put up 4 spider-man books in a lot that were related to & included Carnage's 1st app(2nd prt) in nm condition that got a total of one bid in 7 days.

People on here are always quoting the outliers, and conveniently forgetting about all the other auctions that mysteriously end at much lower prices.

I guess that doesn't make as good a press when you don't have two psychos bidding against each other (and possibly not paying).

People on here are always quoting the outliers, and conveniently forgetting about all the other auctions that mysteriously end at much lower prices.

I guess that doesn't make as good a press when you don't have two psychos bidding against each other (and possibly not paying).

Two weeks ago on ebay, I sold Wolverine Annual '99 NM+ (Wolverine battles Deadpool) & it got a total of 2 bids and it sold for just a little over the cover price. I then had to notify ebay I hadn't received payment to urge the buyer to pay after no contact for 6 days. The final bid was $4.25 plus shipping. This has happened to me more over the last year than any other time in all my time selling on ebay.

DCP #26 contains an original story. Does Agents #6 have an original story, or does it just feature the first few pages of the first issue of WD #1?

It has Rick in full view, no cameo. It would be his first appearance if not for that Trademarked cover shot in Diamond Previews.

My Hellblazer #1 NM- in the same time period had a starting bid of $8.88 got 17 bids and a final bid of $23.50.

Yea, there are a bunch of factors that can contribute to an auction not doing well comparatively. Pictures/scans, grade (sometimes listing the grade helps, sometimes not listing a grade and letting people determine on their own is better), do you have other things for sale (if I want to buy something I often look at what I can "bundle" to defer shipping costs over multiple books), how much are you charging for shipping and what service are you using, how much feedback do you have, bidding wars, etc...

Yea, there are a bunch of factors that can contribute to an auction not doing well comparatively. Pictures/scans, grade (sometimes listing the grade helps, sometimes not listing a grade and letting people determine on their own is better), do you have other things for sale (if I want to buy something I often look at what I can "bundle" to defer shipping costs over multiple books), how much are you charging for shipping and what service are you using, how much feedback do you have, bidding wars, etc...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/mumf69/m.html?item=121295896520&ViewItem=&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

feedback 1957 (100%)

ebay id = mumf69

DCP #26 contains an original story. Does Agents #6 have an original story, or does it just feature the first few pages of the first issue of WD #1?

It has Rick in full view, no cameo. It would be his first appearance if not for that Trademarked cover shot in Diamond Previews.

Interesting, but that still doesn't answer the question. Is it part of an original story (meaning, sequential art that doesn't appear elsewhere), or is it just pinups and preview pages of another book?

Traditionally, and it still holds, for appearances to "count", they have to be within the context of an original story.

Iron Fist #13 is not Sabretooth's first appearance, not even a cameo, even though there's a picture of him. New Mutants #86 is not Cable's first appearance, not even a cameo, even though there's a picture of his face. Action Comics #12 isn't the first appearance of Batman, even though there's a picture of his face. Hulk #180 IS the first appearance of Wolverine, because he appears within the context of the story. The actual first appearance of Jesse Custer is Preacher #1, despite two preview appearances elsewhere, because those previews only printed pages from the first issue.

There are exceptions, of course, that make the rule (More Fun #51.)

I understand the motive that people have to push non-story first appearances...they wish to sell them. But, so far, the market has resisted such attempts to legitimize ads and previews as "first appearances", and I hope it always will.

I understand the motive that people have to push non-story first appearances...they wish to sell them. But, so far, the market has resisted such attempts to legitimize ads and previews as "first appearances", and I hope it always will.

QFT.

I thougt ASM #361 (2nd print) was hot too, but I just sold 361-363 plus another spider-man in nm for a grand total of $9.99 plus shipping on ebay. Ebay basically sucks.

Just because you list a book it doesn't mean it will sell for the going average. A lot of other things come into play like what else the seller has for sale and multiple bidders (bidding war).

As far as your asm 361 2nd print is concerned, it happens all the time. Not much you can do to explain it. Almost every book in the coppers heating up thread, has sold for $1-2 for me with the exception of Booster gold #1. Okay by me considering I pay cents for the copper books. Your best bet, honestly, is when a book gets hot in this thread, when someone says it's heating up, pull it from auction and sell it on the boards. I still see people selling new mutants 100 and omega men #3's for more than a dollar. Cracks me up, they sit in my eBay store for $1 for months, had a new mutants 100 NM-/NM sit for a year before I forgot to relist it. Sold it with 20 other copies to a local boardie for 50 cents a piece.

Interesting, but that still doesn't answer the question. Is it part of an original story (meaning, sequential art that doesn't appear elsewhere), or is it just pinups and preview pages of another book?

Traditionally, and it still holds, for appearances to "count", they have to be within the context of an original story.

Iron Fist #13 is not Sabretooth's first appearance, not even a cameo, even though there's a picture of him. New Mutants #86 is not Cable's first appearance, not even a cameo, even though there's a picture of his face. Action Comics #12 isn't the first appearance of Batman, even though there's a picture of his face. Hulk #180 IS the first appearance of Wolverine, because he appears within the context of the story. The actual first appearance of Jesse Custer is Preacher #1, despite two preview appearances elsewhere, because those previews only printed pages from the first issue.

:headbang:

QFT.

Indeed, I collect comics, if I ever start collecting advertisements, then those other books may have some value to me, but for now, I have no interest.

I need to pull out my copy, but I'm almost positive that Agents #6 is a shortened copy of WD #1 (preview).

Pat

I need to pull out my copy, but I'm almost positive that Agents #6 is a shortened copy of WD #1 (preview).

Pat

I have a copy somewhere, and also Capes #1. I'm pretty sure they're the same preview, both of the first few pages of WD #1.

That came off a little sarcastic so let me expand on my thought.

Auctions are for only very hot books and books you just plain want to get rid of.

They bring in buyers that are only looking for cheap deals and honestly many don't pay or drag their heels on paying.

Even buyer's remorse is much larger with auctions in my experiences. I have pretty much stop doing them because they are too problematic. Id say 90% of my buyer problems over the years have been with auction buys so I just stop doing them and maybe only 2 or 3 times a year now do I have to file a NPB.

I cant really point to one main issue, but I can give you a few thoughts. Selling a book at auction and hoping and expecting that a large pool of buyers is waiting for that book on that exact week is a shoot. Does it happen? Sure it does and occasionally on books that are not in demand or high grade, but its not common.

Are their sellers that do this and are successful? Sure Zilaf is the first one that comes to mind, but they have long time buyers and have been selling for years.

I am sure someone will come here and tell me they do and it works great for them. More power to them, but it unless you build up a strong clientele that trusts you grading and packing over time its a losing proposition.

Seeing a book sells for $30 regularly and thinking Hey I can just list my book at auction and it will pull $30 just wont work. This the mistake many new sellers make.

Selling comics is about developing relationships with your buyers over time and they will come back. Screw one of them over and it can cost you literally 100s more.

Oh and one more thing. Don't post any of your drama here with your buyer or seller until they transaction is complete. It will blow up in your face. The General thread has one or two a week.

I sold sets a few months ago at 21.99 instantly. Raised the price to 24.99 and those sold too. I regretted not selling them here as I saw people were buying them on the boards at $35

Not sure why yours did not do so well. Let me know when you have anymore :baiting:

Personally I'm motivated by the truth not market trends or making a profit. There has to be a separation between the market and what's true. All of your examples are great and illustrate the need for such a separation. Comics like your examples support your belief that the market has decided against cameos or previews as firsts but there will always be comics like More Fun 51 ( your example ), Malibu Sun 13 and Dime Press 4 that show the opposite to be true. The point being, the market cannot be trusted as the authority in matters of historical comic record.

Edited by MrWeen