• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

Before we go on, let's correct a misunderstanding: *Cameos* are first appearances if (and this is the crucial point) they appear within the context of a story. That's what a cameo is: a short appearance in a story. If it's a head shot, like the ad in Action #12, it's not a "cameo"...it's an ad.

Incorrect.

A cameo can NEVER be a 1st appearance because the term 'cameo' refers to an appearance of a KNOWN character.

A character that has NEVER appeared before cannot make a cameo.

A cameo can NEVER be a 1st appearance because the term 'cameo' refers to an appearance of a KNOWN character.

Except it doesn't have to be a previously known or introduced character.

See MoS 17. See X-Factor 5. And on and on and on.

You're confusing CGC label notes with reality. ;)

Before we go on, let's correct a misunderstanding: *Cameos* are first appearances if (and this is the crucial point) they appear within the context of a story. That's what a cameo is: a short appearance in a story. If it's a head shot, like the ad in Action #12, it's not a "cameo"...it's an ad.

Incorrect.

I do not agree with this, and I'm fairly certain the majority of the hobby doesn't, either. A cameo is a short appearance within the context of a story, whether that story is in a movie, a TV show, a comic book, or any other sequential artform. It doesn't have to be a "known" character.

Incorrect.

I do not agree with this, and I'm fairly certain the majority of the hobby doesn't, either. A cameo is a short appearance within the context of a story, whether that story is in a movie, a TV show, a comic book, or any other sequential artform. It doesn't have to be a "known" character.

In the history of television/movies.....have you ever heard someone refer to the appearance of an unknown character/actor as a cameo?

One can't make a cameo appearance if no one knows they exist prior to that appearance.

No, reality says words can have more than one definition.

I am thinking that in the comic book world, definition #3 is what is used.

:)

-slym

Incorrect.

In the history of television/movies.....have you ever heard someone refer to the appearance of an unknown character/actor as a cameo?

One can't make a cameo appearance if no one knows they exist prior to that appearance.

Stage/TV/film uses the #4 definition - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cameo?s=t

(thumbs u

-slym

Incorrect.

Stage/TV/film uses the #4 definition - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cameo?s=t

(thumbs u

-slym

I too can use google. ;)

Why would the term be used differently within comics?

For anyone that (like me) doesn't like to click links ; also, so I can make the point better -

cameo

cam·e·o

[kam-ee-oh]

noun, plural cam·e·os.

a technique of engraving upon a gem or other stone, as onyx, in such a way that an underlying stone of one color is exposed as a background for a low-relief design of another color.

a gem or other stone so engraved.

a literary sketch, small dramatic scene, or the like, that effectively presents or depicts its subject.

Also called cameo role. a minor part played by a prominent performer in a single scene of a motion picture or a television play.

These are all acceptable definitions of the word 'cameo.' In the comic book world, it definitely doesn't mean definition #1 or #2. #3 seems to fit the usage in the comic book world perfectly, and it never mentions anything about a "KNOWN" character. #4... hmm... "a minor part played by a prominent performer in a single scene of a motion picture or a television play." Nope, that doesn't fit comic books at all.

These definitions come straight from dictionary.com (not Google) and anyone can see I am not making any of this up.

:)

-slym

I understand that, in Hollywood parlance, "cameo" refers to a KNOWN character/actor.

But that doesn't rule out the use of the word to refer to characters who then became integral to the show.

Lost used this device, as did Heroes.

And, in comics, it has become the standard definition.

They are reality.

Cameo is simply a brief appearance. Doesn't matter if the character is known to readers at the time or not. Its limited exposure to a character that often serves as a tease or preview of what's to come.

This is an accepted use of the term "cameo" in the comics hobby. CGC isn't the only user of the term. Comics Price Guide uses it. So does Comic Book Realm. MCS uses it. And on and on and on.

Holy :censored:

New Mutants Annual 2 Raw - eBay

$75

There are enough folks hunting for that book, it is not surprising if it is assumed to be 9.6 or better.

True. Highest price for a raw I've seen is what made me take notice. It's a nice copy.

Edited by awakeintheashes

NM Annual 2 is another one of those 80s Marvel keys with damaged upper right corners. Have to be careful when buying/selling that book raw. Although CGC seems to be rather forgiving when they are graded.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-Annual-2-CGC-9-8-SSx3-Stan-Lee-Claremont-Davis-1st-Psylocke-/261417249878?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3cddaeac56&nma=true&si=EiIU6F4h9DOyXr66Uqi157KbDBs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

NM Annual 2 is another one of those 80s Marvel keys with damaged upper right corners. Have to be careful when buying/selling that book raw. Although CGC seems to be rather forgiving when they are graded.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mutants-Annual-2-CGC-9-8-SSx3-Stan-Lee-Claremont-Davis-1st-Psylocke-/261417249878?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3cddaeac56&nma=true&si=EiIU6F4h9DOyXr66Uqi157KbDBs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

LOOKS LIKE 3 OF THE 4 CORNERS HAVE ISSUES.

It's good to see so many people are still buying the grade and not the book. And that $75 raw does look like it has an issue in the top right corner.

Jezz, is CGC just giving out 9.8s these days?

Jezz, is CGC just giving out 9.8s these days?

I think the book is ugly as well, and would never purchase it.

However, and I cannot beleive I am defending a book with those defects, in a holder with that grade.... but here we go.

CGC looks at entire runs of each paticular book, and if it is determined that there were defects caused by the printer such as bindery tears it wont really affect the grade until you are talking 9.9 and 10's. Apparently, CGC feels the defect is common enough in high grade to let it pass.

What really bothers me about this book is the Color breaking staple stress at the bottom stable.