• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

They sell them at the local show here for $1-$2 cause the dealer doesn't have a clue

Or does he... hm

If it's the dealer that I think he's talking about, he knows some of his stuff is worth more but most of what he brings to the shows he intentionally sells on the cheap.

They sell them at the local show here for $1-$2 cause the dealer doesn't have a clue

Or does he... hm

If it's the dealer that I think he's talking about, he knows some of his stuff is worth more but most of what he brings to the shows he intentionally sells on the cheap.

Yeah I agree I ran into a dealer at a show this weekend that had 40 boxes of nice high grade $1 books. Many last issues and books that were $5-15 books in raw. Could they make more money parting out the issues over time?

Sure, but time is the issue. They were cleaning up with their prices. Just as I stood there they sold 300 issues and I bought another 50 in about 30 minutes.

Exactally, people underestimate the value of turnover. The most successful business models don't require you to milk every nickel out of every book you sell. Most dealers buy a collection and make their output back several fold off the keys, anything after that is gravy.

Exactally, people underestimate the value of turnover. The most successful business models don't require you to milk every nickel out of every book you sell. Most dealers buy a collection and make their output back several fold off the keys, anything after that is gravy.

I have started doing the opposite - keep the keys, make money back from commons at the spring or fall con season (depending on when you buy the books) and then selling the remainder to LCSs. My goal is to get funds back within 6 months while retaining the best books/keys as they continue to increase in value. I used to take the sell the keys and try to max out profits from the rest approach, but since keys/high demand books outpace other books in value growth it does not make sense.

This works well with auction lots from Heritage, Clink or other venues also.

I don't normally say this, but I hope that's a shill :insane:

That is my thought, but it looks like the bidder only has 1% of their activity with this seller so it could very well be legit. doh!

That being said, sooner or later this book will move up decently along with the rest of the lesser Copper #1s/keys.

Edited by kimik

Its a successful formula that takes many years if not at all to every learn. They just cant let go of the book too cheap in their mind.

I have started doing the opposite - keep the keys, make money back from commons at the spring or fall con season (depending on when you buy the books) and then selling the remainder to LCSs. My goal is to get funds back within 6 months while retaining the best books/keys as they continue to increase in value. I used to take the sell the keys and try to max out profits from the rest approach, but since keys/high demand books outpace other books in value growth it does not make sense.

I have tried to take this approach as a collector because I agree that sitting on keys is much better than sitting on long boxes of drek. If I had more access and time to hunt down collections, I would look more towards turnover.

I have tried to take this approach as a collector because I agree that sitting on keys is much better than sitting on long boxes of drek. If I had more access and time to hunt down collections, I would look more towards turnover.

I know two people that do this locally, one who's willing to sell the commons really cheap (25/cents a book in lots), the other continually selling books for $1/piece. I think the latter doesn't move much because he refreshes his kijiji ads every other day.

This isn't so much a business model as an ecological strategy. It's called "r Selection" vs. "K Selection", but don't get me started . . . ;)

This isn't so much a business model as an ecological strategy. It's called "r Selection" vs. "K Selection", but don't get me started . . . ;)

That's an excellent analogy and a heuristic that can be very enlightening in this context. Rats and whales each have their place and, like this hobby, the ecosystem is healthiest when both thrive.

Watching the sale here on the boards...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7560100

...and seeing a CGC 8.5 Cry For Dawn #1 sell for over $100 with shipping...

http://bit.ly/1g8LDhv

I'd say the "Rule of 25" might be kicking in for Linsner's gal. hm

Well I just bought a set two weeks ago for less than $100 shipped (granted #1 was a third print). Which sale do we exclude, this one, or mine? :)

Was your set from ebay? hm

Yessir. But I didn't think CFD was ever a cheap comic (aside from when it first came out).

That's true, but this isn't the $1 bin topic, it's the heating/selling well topic.

Try to name another comic book from 1989 that sells for $100 shipped in CGC 8.5.

I can't think of any... sure, there are tons that sell for $100 at CGC 9.8.

I'm sure a few sell for $100 at CGC 9.6.

CGC 8.5 for $100 for a comic from 1989? hm

Cry For Dawn #1 has just hit that mark. :ohnoez:

Wow! I guess I got a major deal on my 9.6!

So... Inhumans #11?!

korath-thak?

Eh, no thanks

Yeah I over priced two copies on ebay at $40 each on thursday.

yesterday both copies sold...

Not calling you out as maybe I missed them, but I just looked at the completed listings on ebay to see if these are hot and I don't see any being sold at $40 each. I see a complete set just sold for $75.00 a #11 sold for .99 , $5.12, and $6.99 lately.