• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,870 posts in this topic

I had heard shops way over ordered on Ronin, which led to a way under order on DKR #1.

But 5,000 copies doesn't seem in the realm of possibility.

What about IG? That series was everywhere. It had to have had an enormous print run.

DKR #1 had 24,100 Capital City orders, which was about 9.1% of the DC market in 1986 according to Standard Catalog of Comic Books.

That means the print run for DKR #1 was about 265,000 copies.

Infinity Gauntlet #1 was 118,600 Capital City orders, which was about 22.1% of the Marvel market in 1991.

That puts the print run for Infinity Gauntlet #1 around 535,000 copies.

Wow, I have no idea where I got that low count, wtf. 265k is sooo much higher than I thought though. And that's for only the 1st print? Could numbers be skewed somehow due to the unusually high cover price for that time? Was DKR both newstand and direct? That number just seems way too high, but hell, I thought it was only 5k, so :insane:

Can someone do infinity war 1 print run?

There are so many DKR 1s locked away in collections, that I never have a lot of them on hand. Whereas there are a ton of 3s and 4s out there. (Kind of the opposite of IG where there are probably well more #1s than #6s.) Sure, every 80s collection you buy has one, but that's only one, whereas people ask about it at every show.

I had heard shops way over ordered on Ronin, which led to a way under order on DKR #1.

What about IG? That series was everywhere. It had to have had an enormous print run.

DKR #1 had 24,100 Capital City orders, which was about 9.1% of the DC market in 1986 according to Standard Catalog of Comic Books.

Infinity Gauntlet #1 was 118,600 Capital City orders, which was about 22.1% of the Marvel market in 1991.

So print run has nothing to do with value for these two issues - it's all demand driven. The size of the market now is mind-boggling! :grin:

+1

Yep, that's crazy.

The signed & numbered hc looks like this:

darkknight.jpg

The regular hardcover edition has basically the same cover as Dark Knight Returns #1.

You mean the same cover as the first trade, I think.

Not sure which edition you are referring to. The Signed & numbered edition used the same art as the Warner Brothers Soft Cover Edition, although it is layed out differently. The first edition regular hardcover used the art from Dark Knight Returns #1, although it could be cropped & layed out differently also.

9.1% of DC's entire market or 9.1% of DC's Direct Market?

I think that number may be high on the Dark Knight #1. While the 1:10 ratio may be a decent indicator on the standard size (& priced) comics of the time, I'm not sure that the newsstands ordered the first prestige format book (at $3.00) in the same ratios. I do remember it was difficult to find a copy of DKR #1 the day it came out, so the book would obviously have been hoarded when it appeared at the newsstands, but I don't recall a huge number of books becoming available after the newsstand release. Just a guess, but I would think there are under 200,000 copies.

I think that number may be high on the Dark Knight #1. While the 1:10 ratio may be a decent indicator on the standard size (& priced) comics of the time, I'm not sure that the newsstands ordered the first prestige format book (at $3.00) in the same ratios. I do remember it was difficult to find a copy of DKR #1 the day it came out, so the book would obviously have been hoarded when it appeared at the newsstands, but I don't recall a huge number of books becoming available after the newsstand release. Just a guess, but I would think there are under 200,000 copies.

Did it get newsstand release??? I thought by that time DC had its line of direct-only books (Camelot 3000 first), which didn't get newsstand distribution and had content that might not be suitable for kids (according to some parents).

Wasn't DKR 1 direct only?

If I had to come up with a guess before this conversation, I would've pegged DKR 1 at 170-200 k print run.

That is possible. I remember the rush for the newsstand copies when Thor 337 came out, but don't remember the same scene with DKR #1. That may explain it, or it might be that I wasn't as involved at that point.

Yes it was. There are no Newsstand copies of DKR

Then the print run would be lower than the extrapolated estimate given earlier, right?

Not really..what was the print run for Dazzler #1? that was a direct market book also.

I know, apples to oranges, but the demand certainly exceeded the print run almost right off the gate with this book.. By 1987 this book was $30 already.. I dont know if it was 150 or 250k, but I suspect that it was up there.

I never saw it coming when I got the memo for it.. No one wrote books like that at the time. Certainly not for the big 2. What the hell is this cover? Did Miller lost his mind? Why does DC want to portray Batman like that?

Dont forget that there were a million reprints of this book in many formats. If someone needed to get their hands on DKR up until the whole DOJ movie hype began it was quite accessible on the Bay for anywhere from $20-40. It certainly is not rare, but the demand for this book was always there. Now more so naturally.

Then the print run would be lower than the extrapolated estimate given earlier, right?

Not really..what was the print run for Dazzler #1? that was a direct market book also.

I know, apples to oranges, but the demand certainly exceeded the print run almost right off the gate with this book.. By 1987 this book was $30 already.. I dont know if it was 150 or 250k, but I suspect that it was up there.

I never saw it coming when I got the memo for it.. No one wrote books like that at the time. Certainly not for the big 2. What the hell is this cover? Did Miller lost his mind? Why does DC want to portray Batman like that?

Dont forget that there were a million reprints of this book in many formats. If someone needed to get their hands on DKR up until the whole DOJ movie hype began it was quite accessible on the Bay for anywhere from $20-40. It certainly is not rare, but the demand for this book was always there. Now more so naturally.

Um, my point was purely one about math. It seemed to me that the earlier extrapolation factored in the presumption of newsstand sales. If not, then the print run would be lower. I'm not saying direct-only would've made it unpopular. Popular or not, that would be reflected in the Capital orders, which we could then extrapolate to the total--now that we know NOT to extrapolate newsstand sales, too.

Um, my point was purely one about math. It seemed to me that the earlier extrapolation factored in the presumption of newsstand sales. If not, then the print run would be lower. I'm not saying direct-only would've made it unpopular. Popular or not, that would be reflected in the Capital orders, which we could then extrapolate to the total--now that we know NOT to extrapolate newsstand sales, too.

Ahhhh, you... You.. You're Good You

1.jpg

Never seen one or heard of one. My assumption is if they do exist they are in super low print run. Are these first prints?

You know what they say about assuming...

Yes, they are all first prints. Newsstand later printings have essentially been unheard of, with the exception of Superman #75. That was quite unprecedented.

There's no reason to believe they have a "super low print run", other than the fact that it was a relatively new (but not the first!) format, with a higher cover price. DC didn't typically print "super low" numbers of books in the mid 80's.

I suspect you haven't seen them because most sellers don't scan the back covers.