• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

Wasn't DKR 1 direct only?

Yes it was. There are no Newsstand copies of DKR

That would be incorrect.

001.jpg

That's a #2, but I have all four of them in newsstand in boxes somewhere.

Is that how you preserve most of your books? lol:insane:

There are so many DKR 1s locked away in collections, that I never have a lot of them on hand. Whereas there are a ton of 3s and 4s out there. (Kind of the opposite of IG where there are probably well more #1s than #6s.) Sure, every 80s collection you buy has one, but that's only one, whereas people ask about it at every show.

I was at a shop a few weeks back and a collector was there to show off a sample of books he was trying to sell off. He had a stack of maybe 20-30 copies IG #1 and Spiderman #1 in the boxes he brought in. He said he had more at home. He said he bought a ton of books in the 80s when he was a kid. Supposedly he inherited some money and blew it all on new comic books but had no idea what he was doing. Unfortunately the books he brought in had water damage from being kept in storage.

The signed & numbered hc looks like this:

darkknight.jpg

The regular hardcover edition has basically the same cover as Dark Knight Returns #1.

This was my "grail" back when it came out. Finally picked one up last year. The comic shop I used to visit had one for $200 when it came out but no one ever saw it. Its a shame this book hasn't gone up much from that. I paid less for mine,.last year, than what it was going for in the mid/late 80s.

darkknight.jpg

The regular hardcover edition has basically the same cover as Dark Knight Returns #1.

This was my "grail" back when it came out. Finally picked one up last year. The comic shop I used to visit had one for $200 when it came out but no one ever saw it. Its a shame this book hasn't gone up much from that. I paid less for mine,.last year, than what it was going for in the mid/late 80s.

Yeah, I picked up a stack of them, still sealed in their original boxes, 5 or 6 years ago. Couldn't move them at $250, couldn't move them at $200, sold a few between $150-$200 & then gave up. Recently I've been able to move them in the $300 range, but overall it's still cheaper than it was 25 years ago. I'm down to my last keeper copy, but would still like to see it make a price jump.

I guess I should add this to the copper "hot" thread also

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comics-1938-DC-521-CGC-9-6-1300138003-/311349825959?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487de551a7

Not too shabby, 1st Vixen 9.6 $305.00

Not too shabby at all. :grin: Unfortunately, there was a gap in my Action run during that period. :( Picked up again at #527.

My local store auctioned off the one copy they were allotted and it was between my friend and a phone bidder and my friend ended up getting it for $1000. Which was nuts.

I heard it was getting crazy money back then. I'll probably dig through my old CVM to see what shops were getting for them back then.

darkknight.jpg

Yeah, I picked up a stack of them, still sealed in their original boxes, 5 or 6 years ago. Couldn't move them at $250, couldn't move them at $200, sold a few between $150-$200 & then gave up. Recently I've been able to move them in the $300 range, but overall it's still cheaper than it was 25 years ago. I'm down to my last keeper copy, but would still like to see it make a price jump.

I bought one maybe 6 or so years back that was still sealed in the original box for a pretty good price. I'm guessing I must've gotten it from you. I still have it and it's still sealed in the box (I guess I should've bought one to open as well). It had been one of those pieces I could only dream of owning when I was in high school and my LCS had it in their fancy "Can't Touch This" display case. Now part of me is really awed by the fact that any copies are still sealed, so I still can't touch it, I'm just hanging on to this box. (shrug)

Never seen one or heard of one. My assumption is if they do exist they are in super low print run. Are these first prints?

You know what they say about assuming...

Yes, they are all first prints. Newsstand later printings have essentially been unheard of, with the exception of Superman #75. That was quite unprecedented.

There's no reason to believe they have a "super low print run", other than the fact that it was a relatively new (but not the first!) format, with a higher cover price. DC didn't typically print "super low" numbers of books in the mid 80's.

I suspect you haven't seen them because most sellers don't scan the back covers.

You know what they say about people that suspect...

No I havent seen one because I probably sold 50 copies in my lifetime and never came across one..

Seriously man, what is it with you and Supes 75, just curious

darkknight.jpg

I bought one maybe 6 or so years back that was still sealed in the original box for a pretty good price. I'm guessing I must've gotten it from you. I still have it and it's still sealed in the box (I guess I should've bought one to open as well). It had been one of those pieces I could only dream of owning when I was in high school and my LCS had it in their fancy "Can't Touch This" display case. Now part of me is really awed by the fact that any copies are still sealed, so I still can't touch it, I'm just hanging on to this box. (shrug)

If the seal wasn't broken, it was from a different seller. I always broke the seal to check on the book before selling.

Years ago I bought a sports statue that was still sealed in it's plain brown box that it was manufactured in. Got it home & never opened it. Was talking with my brother (not a collector) one day & he was like, "how the hell do you know what is actually in there?" We argued about it for awhile & I finally cut open the seal to prove to him that it was common practice to leave items sealed & untouched. The item inside was different doh!

I check everything before putting it up for sale now.

darkknight.jpg

Well then, its a beautiful thing. No one could own a copy of this in the 80s. This was a grail.. 600 back in the 80s would get you a VF/NM Avengers #1.. and I know what I wouldve gotten if I had that money.. Just exactly what you just got. So who cares if you bought it for 150.00, its a book you always wanted and brings you back to that time. Now you have it.

And he lived happily ever after

The end

Never seen one or heard of one. My assumption is if they do exist they are in super low print run. Are these first prints?

Yes, they are all first prints. Newsstand later printings have essentially been unheard of, with the exception of Superman #75. That was quite unprecedented.

There's no reason to believe they have a "super low print run", other than the fact that it was a relatively new (but not the first!) format, with a higher cover price. DC didn't typically print "super low" numbers of books in the mid 80's.

I suspect you haven't seen them because most sellers don't scan the back covers.

No, what?

No I havent seen one because I probably sold 50 copies in my lifetime and never came across one..

Um...it's the exception to the rule that illustrated my point...?

Other than that, nothing. I don't know what it is you think you're seeing.

hm

No, what?

Um...it's the exception to the rule that illustrated my point...?

Other than that, nothing. I don't know what it is you think you're seeing.

hm

All these qoutes are getting me dizzy

darkknight.jpg

You mean the same cover as the first trade, I think.

Not sure which edition you are referring to. The Signed & numbered edition used the same art as the Warner Brothers Soft Cover Edition, although it is layed out differently. The first edition regular hardcover used the art from Dark Knight Returns #1, although it could be cropped & layed out differently also.

I have this and it is signed and numbered.