• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

I have a magazine called Comics Collector dated Spring 1984 that shows the Nightwing costume that will be in the comic. Pretty sure this magazine came out first and is the actual first appearance of Nightwing. Great story and article about the Titans!

What issue?

Hi Ween,

Sorry for the blurry photo's trying to get use to Photobucket to do these.

20140901_223337_zps415d6f00.jpg

20140901_223348_zpse86c33a3.jpg

Hope this helps

Thank you very much. That looks like a first appearance of Nightwing to me. MCS has this listed as published March 84 which predates TT 44.

Demand is everything, supply is always invisible. Either by natural causes (Silver/Golden books) or by stock manipulation (Copper/Modern)

You have it backwards, Demand is a derivative of Supply.

Seriously? can you tell me please how many copies of nm98 are there. And who has them?

Now do the same to any current hot title that goes tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY from 4$ to 30$ overnight because of movie option hype. Its not like theres shortage in supply overnight, its just a trending stock.

95% of the books...

Can you please answer my original question..

Giving examples from one specific title or another is not an indication to how a market behaves.

The answer of course is, I dont know. And when someone doesnt know, he/she cant makes assumption of whats hot based on one selling outlet..

CASE IN POINT Bunker comicspro variant.. ONE OF MANY... Was sellign on eBay for 40-50$ under the premise of being limited to 2500 copies. One day someone decided to sell his whole stock on eBay and copies took a dip. Now they are all over eBay for $5-10 a pop

Going by your own interpretation - Still a rare book mind you. Just not enough demand

A later issue of Comics Collector -- which was the first magazine about comics that I read, as it was available on the newsstand -- had a preview of X-Force with a blacked out Jean Gray on the cover. Cyclops was also wearing an earlier version of the new X-Force uniform (minus the X).

http://www.comicvine.com/comics-collector-10/4000-200057/

I'm weary about listing magazines as the first appearance of characters. That's a slippery slope, but one that has been around for ever.

There was a small shop in Allentown, Pa, that was open for only a few months in the late 80s. The owner, a nice guy and a huge Dave Sim fan, had a FOOM with a preview of the new X-Men in it, and he had in for sale for $100. Nothing could talk him out of this ridiculous price.

He probably still has it.

Basically what Im trying to say is, if TT44 tripled in value one day, then sure, I expect anything attached to that franchise will see a boost as well, but I dont see any of the books mentioned (TT43, ann 3 etc) ever going anywhere remotely close to its market position.

TT 44 did triple in value over the last couple of years. Maybe sextupled, octupled, etc. I was kind of hoping that if it's a $40 book the others may be $10-$15. we'll see, if/when DC does a re-take on the judas contract (have they already in the last 30 years) -- which won't have nightwing "coming out" because he's already in the New 52, that might propel the whole story arc.

Would TT 45 be considered Nightwing's Second appearance or DC Sampler 2?

Annual #3.

Deadpool's second appearance doesn't move the needle despite NM #98 being so hot (we point copies of X-Force #2 out to kids who drool over NM #98 when we do shows, and we can't even sell them at $5). I can't think of any Copper second appearances that have broken out; maybe there are some but I can't think of any. Why would second Nightwing be a big deal over any other second appearance?

X-Force #2 had a print run at, or over, a million copies.

So, there's a bit of a supply factor involved.

But yes, the "second appearance" has taken a nosedive in popularity, across the board. Where second, third, fourth appearances used to command respectable money (like, say, Legion of Supes, or Batman, as a classic example, or J'onn J'onzz, or much of Showcase and B&B)...now, if it's not a first appearance, everyone turns their nose up at it.

Which either may herald a buying opportunity, or the end of the value of later appearances.

Supply is absolutely a factor, no doubt. But the people we show X-Force #2s to at shows aren't disinterested because they already own it, they just don't seem to care about his second appearance. And these are kids who are looking at our NM #98s like they are AF #15s, and they aren't motivated to pick up a NM second appearance of the same character for $5. That tells me that if its not the first appearance they couldn't care less.

One thing leads to another.. I betcha IF the upcoming X-Force movie comes out, and people decide to hoard on NM100/XF#1 and only offer copies on eBay for 100$ or over, you'd have the same kid sweating these books at your upcoming show. That's just how trends are, Supply means nothing when it comes to WHAT THE MARKET DECIDES

hm

Supply means everything. It is supply AND demand.

If you're saying "the supply would be outstripped by the demand", then that's a valid point, but supply never means "nothing."

gotta agree. a book need not be "rare", obviously we see stuff from the 80s/90s with 200-400K circulation numbers selling well as back issues, but with these 7 figurish print-run books it will be tough, particularly from the 90s where there are so many copies sitting in store stock. at least some copies of NTT 44 or whatever got trashed over the years even if it may have been a solid seller in its time, for example, or ASM 252, 300. a NM 98 has a chance with a not vast (albeit healthy) print-run and most of the copies put into circulation being sold to readers/collectors. there probably weren't many dealers tucking away 200 copies to sell in a year, unlike X-Force 2.

I have a magazine called Comics Collector dated Spring 1984 that shows the Nightwing costume that will be in the comic. Pretty sure this magazine came out first and is the actual first appearance of Nightwing. Great story and article about the Titans!

What issue?

Hi Ween,

Hope this helps

Thank you very much. That looks like a first appearance of Nightwing to me. MCS has this listed as published March 84 which predates TT 44.

It isn't the first appearance because he did not appear in a comic story! How is this different than New Mutants 86 where they say "next month...cable" and show his face? (ok, they don't show his whole body) This is a promotional/advertising piece. Are we now going back to Previews being the first app of virtually anything in the last 20 years as well?

What issue?

Hi Ween,

Hope this helps

It isn't the first appearance because he did not appear in a comic story! How is this different than New Mutants 86 where they say "next month...cable" and show his face? (ok, they don't show his whole body) This is a promotional/advertising piece. Are we now going back to Previews being the first app of virtually anything in the last 20 years as well?

Well there is actually 2 pics in the magazine, ones a head shot and the one I posted. Honestly the magazine is probably printed in less quantity and how many left in fine to mint condition. This is a sleeper!

It is a cool item and maybe should be worth more than NTT 44 due to scarcity and what not. I just wouldn't call it the first app..maybe first promotional app. RMA can come up with a good descriptive I am sure. I am at a loss for words after 2 weeks of vacation and having to go back to the office tomorrow with a sh**itstorm of work awaiting me.

Demand is everything, supply is always invisible. Either by natural causes (Silver/Golden books) or by stock manipulation (Copper/Modern)

You have it backwards, Demand is a derivative of Supply.

Seriously? can you tell me please how many copies of nm98 are there. And who has them?

Now do the same to any current hot title that goes tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY from 4$ to 30$ overnight because of movie option hype. Its not like theres shortage in supply overnight, its just a trending stock.

95% of the books...

Can you please answer my original question..

Giving examples from one specific title or another is not an indication to how a market behaves.

The answer of course is, I dont know. And when someone doesnt know, he/she cant makes assumption of whats hot based on one selling outlet..

CASE IN POINT Bunker comicspro variant.. ONE OF MANY... Was sellign on eBay for 40-50$ under the premise of being limited to 2500 copies. One day someone decided to sell his whole stock on eBay and copies took a dip. Now they are all over eBay for $5-10 a pop

Going by your own interpretation - Still a rare book mind you. Just not enough demand

You actually proved my point. It was the supply dumped on the market that caused the price crash, demand was static. There was no shift in demand, a shift in demand would be indicated by the same number of items being sold, but with gradual increases or decreases in price.

What issue?

Hi Ween,

Hope this helps

I am going to slightly disagree with you here. Does the preview discuss Nightwing? Is he pictured? Is the book discussed?

Its one thing just to show a picture of someone like in a Comic Shop News. Its quite another to show a character, discuss the story, and give plot details.

I understand the "In a comic story argument", but if the story, book and character are discussed in those pages then it warrants something other then just advertising piece.

Good Grief I am turning into Ween.

Edited by Fastballspecial

The Action Comics #1 1988 interest right now amazes me. My VG sold for $39, and the NM-/NM copy I have up has 162 views - I only normally see that number of views on big SA and BA keys. doh!

Edited by kimik

The magazine has a long history breakdown of the titans. Then on page 43 it gives a spoiler stating and word for word.

In Tales of the Teen Titans #44, Grayson will adopt a new identity -- Nightwing. That same issue will introduce a new Titan named Jericho, who is the son of The Terminator, a deadly foe of the Titans.

This magazine shows a full image of Jericho also that will be in that issue.

Hope this helps!

What issue?

Hi Ween,

Hope this helps

I am going to slightly disagree with you here. Does the preview discuss Nightwing? Is he pictured? Is the book discussed?

Its one thing just to show a picture of someone like in a Comic Shop News. Its quite another to show a character, discuss the story, and give plot details.

I understand the "In a comic story argument", but if the story, book and character are discussed in those pages then it warrants something other then just advertising piece.

it's an article discussing new upcoming developments in the DC universe. yes, he's pictured, yes, he's discussed. but didn't wizard and the Overstreet magazine do this stuff all the time with new titles that were going to be released? i read all sorts of articles over the years -- often with panels from the comic -- about some book that was going to be released.

It will likely seem some speculative interest like the DD issue (#115?) with the Wolverine panel or Web of Spidey #18. As far as replacing TT #44 as the key 1st Nightwing, not a chance IMHO.

Not even . . . a reach is a reach is a reach. lol

Btw, I don't think I posted this sale: WOS 18

What issue?

Hi Ween,

Hope this helps

it's an article discussing new upcoming developments in the DC universe. yes, he's pictured, yes, he's discussed. but didn't wizard and the Overstreet magazine do this stuff all the time with new titles that were going to be released? i read all sorts of articles over the years -- often with panels from the comic -- about some book that was going to be released.

Sounds like some Wizard mags are undervalued.

Edited by MrWeen