• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Would TT 45 be considered Nightwing's Second appearance or DC Sampler 2?

Annual #3.

Deadpool's second appearance doesn't move the needle despite NM #98 being so hot (we point copies of X-Force #2 out to kids who drool over NM #98 when we do shows, and we can't even sell them at $5). I can't think of any Copper second appearances that have broken out; maybe there are some but I can't think of any. Why would second Nightwing be a big deal over any other second appearance?

quantity might be the problem. i buy that book usually when i see it cheap and it is in nice shape, but i see so many i've stopped

Annual #3.

Deadpool's second appearance doesn't move the needle despite NM #98 being so hot (we point copies of X-Force #2 out to kids who drool over NM #98 when we do shows, and we can't even sell them at $5). I can't think of any Copper second appearances that have broken out; maybe there are some but I can't think of any. Why would second Nightwing be a big deal over any other second appearance?

I would be guessing DP's 2nd appearance had a much higher print run, but I understand your logic here. I am trying to think of any other books where the 2nd appearance commands any type of $$ in the modern/copper world. Currently I cant think of any.

Rocket Raccoon's 2nd appearance in IH 271 fetches good money. :devil:

Basically what Im trying to say is, if TT44 tripled in value one day, then sure, I expect anything attached to that franchise will see a boost as well, but I dont see any of the books mentioned (TT43, ann 3 etc) ever going anywhere remotely close to its market position.

Annual #3.

X-Force #2 had a print run at, or over, a million copies.

So, there's a bit of a supply factor involved.

But yes, the "second appearance" has taken a nosedive in popularity, across the board. Where second, third, fourth appearances used to command respectable money (like, say, Legion of Supes, or Batman, as a classic example, or J'onn J'onzz, or much of Showcase and B&B)...now, if it's not a first appearance, everyone turns their nose up at it.

Which either may herald a buying opportunity, or the end of the value of later appearances.

Supply is absolutely a factor, no doubt. But the people we show X-Force #2s to at shows aren't disinterested because they already own it, they just don't seem to care about his second appearance. And these are kids who are looking at our NM #98s like they are AF #15s, and they aren't motivated to pick up a NM second appearance of the same character for $5. That tells me that if its not the first appearance they couldn't care less.

I think this is the case for a lot of people buying into these books. I work in an investment firm and there's a couple of people there that 'invest' in comics, and anytime they make a purchase it's always based on 'first appearances'.

One guy in particular would not put much research even into the prices of his buys, usually going straight after the first nice looking copy he can see. It's an 'investment' to him....

Annual #3.

But yes, the "second appearance" has taken a nosedive in popularity, across the board. Where second, third, fourth appearances used to command respectable money (like, say, Legion of Supes, or Batman, as a classic example, or J'onn J'onzz, or much of Showcase and B&B)...now, if it's not a first appearance, everyone turns their nose up at it.

Which either may herald a buying opportunity, or the end of the value of later appearances.

Supply is absolutely a factor, no doubt. But the people we show X-Force #2s to at shows aren't disinterested because they already own it, they just don't seem to care about his second appearance. And these are kids who are looking at our NM #98s like they are AF #15s, and they aren't motivated to pick up a NM second appearance of the same character for $5. That tells me that if its not the first appearance they couldn't care less.

One thing leads to another.. I betcha IF the upcoming X-Force movie comes out, and people decide to hoard on NM100/XF#1 and only offer copies on eBay for 100$ or over, you'd have the same kid sweating these books at your upcoming show. That's just how trends are, Supply means nothing when it comes to WHAT THE MARKET DECIDES

hm

Supply means everything. It is supply AND demand.

If you're saying "the supply would be outstripped by the demand", then that's a valid point, but supply never means "nothing."

Annual #3.

Reminds me to something similar with baseball cards in that everyone wants the rookie cards, and could care less about there second or third year cards.

I wonder when this trend started to take precedence in comic books?

Annual #3.

One thing leads to another.. I betcha IF the upcoming X-Force movie comes out, and people decide to hoard on NM100/XF#1 and only offer copies on eBay for 100$ or over, you'd have the same kid sweating these books at your upcoming show. That's just how trends are, Supply means nothing when it comes to WHAT THE MARKET DECIDES

hm

Supply means everything. It is supply AND demand.

If you're saying "the supply would be outstripped by the demand", then that's a valid point, but supply never means "nothing."

Seems like he actually meant that absolute supply doesn't matter compared to marketplace availability.

I have a magazine called Comics Collector dated Spring 1984 that shows the Nightwing costume that will be in the comic. Pretty sure this magazine came out first and is the actual first appearance of Nightwing. Great story and article about the Titans!

What issue?

Demand is everything, supply is always invisible. Either by natural causes (Silver/Golden books) or by stock manipulation (Copper/Modern)

You have it backwards, Demand is a derivative of Supply.

When it comes to collectibles, appearance of scarcity can certainly be a catalyst in increasing demand, but there needs to be something going on with the thing in the first place for there to be demand.

I have a magazine called Comics Collector dated Spring 1984 that shows the Nightwing costume that will be in the comic. Pretty sure this magazine came out first and is the actual first appearance of Nightwing. Great story and article about the Titans!

What issue?

Hi Ween,

Sorry for the blurry photo's trying to get use to Photobucket to do these.

20140901_223337_zps415d6f00.jpg

20140901_223348_zpse86c33a3.jpg

Hope this helps

Demand is everything, supply is always invisible. Either by natural causes (Silver/Golden books) or by stock manipulation (Copper/Modern)

Seriously? can you tell me please how many copies of nm98 are there. And who has them?

Now do the same to any current hot title that goes tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY from 4$ to 30$ overnight because of movie option hype. Its not like theres shortage in supply overnight, its just a trending stock.

Seriously? can you tell me please how many copies of nm98 are there. And who has them?

Now do the same to any current hot title that goes tothemarketdownthestreetforsomeCRAZY from 4$ to 30$ overnight because of movie option hype. Its not like theres shortage in supply overnight, its just a trending stock.

95% of the books you see in the modern's are heating up thread is because of temporary short supply. Take a book like 'Number Crunchers', the book had very low supply, very low demand. When the book was 'hot' it was because a few buyers had hit the BINS only on the select few books that were listed, in other words there was so few copies around anything that resembled a sale - whether it was a higher than recent selling price, or no sale at all - created artificial demand.

This motivates people to take advantage of the price and the sale brings out many more copies (3-4 times what's listed, which is still a very small amount relative to most books), and the book goes unsold back where it was.

Look at how many books on the 'recalled comics' website have artificial demand because it's rare? Go one step even further, the comics that have yet to make it to that website because they are so rare (only 1-2 copies in existence), there is no demand for them at all. How can you want something you don't know exists?

Reminds me to something similar with baseball cards in that everyone wants the rookie cards, and could care less about there second or third year cards.

When the card market crashed and all of those folks came over to comics.

When the card market crashed for the umpteenth time and all of those folks came over to comics.

Most recently, early 2012.