• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Previews/Marvel Age are not the first appearance of anything. This is silly.

It's silly to me as well, but paying a premium for a newsstand copy of a comic or a Whitman logo DC is also equally silly. However, collector preferences do and will change from time to time.

Hard to have a conversation with you when you keep on editing your posts after I reply.

meh

I added the last two sentences, to clarify my position, and it had nothing to do with your reply (which I hadn't yet seen.) I didn't substantively change the post. Not something worth making an issue about, nor presenting as if I "keep on" doing it to thwart you in some way.

If it bothers you enough to make an issue of it, just quote the post, and the other person can't then edit it.

"Problem" solved.

First printed appearance means what it says it is. Just like toy collectors go after unreleased prototypes. Context...

And using that terminology confuses (quite obviously) people who don't understand what you're really referencing. The "first printed appearance" of Batman isn't Detective Comics #27. But why muddy the waters by trying to claim that preview ads are "first printed appearances"?

Technically true? Yes. Traditionally true, accepted by the hobby, and perceived as historically significant? Obviously not, and THAT is the context to which I refer (and which you wish to argue.)

Your toy analogy isn't comparable. These aren't "prototype comics" we're talking about. They are promotional previews, intended only to let prospective buyers know what is coming out. They aren't, and were never intended to be, "unreleased." And, after all...if they're "unreleased", they aren't really "first" in anywhere near the same sense, are they? If they aren't available for mass consumption...how do they possibly count?

That's like saying Jack Kirby's concept sketches for Spiderman are the "first appearance of Spiderman."

And, hopefully, you see how far down the rabbit hole THAT goes.

TLDR (I'm loving this, thanks to the Hawaiian former lawyer who posted it): Calling previews "first appearances" takes away from the intention of the publisher and creators and bastardizes the importance to the hobby of the meaning of the words "first appearance" by stripping it of its historic and traditional context, creating unnecessary confusion (and usually only for money.)

It's silly to me as well, but paying a premium for a newsstand copy of a comic or a Whitman logo DC is also equally silly. However, collector preferences do and will change from time to time.

Yeah, I agree. Those are niche markets variants of a sort. Great fun to collect as a set or necessary buys for hardcore completionists.

However, what we're seeing with the influx of attention towards the Marvel Age/Previews appearances is on another wavelength. We're talking about completely redefining the 1st appearance "guidelines" to include early solicitations as a genuine 1st appearance. That is insane.

I can't believe I'm actually typing this but..do with it what you will.

Marvel Age 100 contained a 5-page Sleepwalker preview which predated Sleepwalker #1, and they've all vanished from ebay in the last few days.

I'm pretty down on anything having to do with "Marvel Age" to begin with... but I must admit when I was in my LCS today I did see a copy in the back issue bins for a $1 and I grabbed it.

Did I feel good about it? No. But I grabbed it. lol

So just passing on the info

Don't be down on Marvel Age. There are early Black Costume Covers, a Thanos Quest preview, fan Infinity Gauntlet preview, 2nd Darkhawk and second Darkhawk cover appearances amongst many other great books to collect.

Dont forget Marvel Age #6 Beta Ray Bill and Marvel Age 25 Rocket ..

I dont know about you.. I like making money and these books are selling.

I could care 2 if its a 1st second or none... It sells im in

Nothing wrong with paying a premium for it...just the marketing of it as "first appearance!" with the intent to deceive, or at least confuse, prospective buyers, and ignoring historical context for money.

Yeah, I agree. Those are niche markets variants of a sort. Great fun to collect as a set or necessary buys for hardcore completionists.

However, what we're seeing with the influx of attention towards the Marvel Age/Previews appearances is on another wavelength. We're talking about completely redefining the 1st appearance "guidelines" to include early solicitations as a genuine 1st appearance. That is insane.

Precisely.

I was just looking at the Darkhawk Wikipedia page to see if they mention Marvel Age #97. They do. They list it as his first appearance. :facepalm:

Keep in mind anyone can change those pages. They are an authority on nothing. Check out what it says now... :devil:

Marvel Age 100 contained a 5-page Sleepwalker preview which predated Sleepwalker #1, and they've all vanished from ebay in the last few days.

I'm pretty down on anything having to do with "Marvel Age" to begin with... but I must admit when I was in my LCS today I did see a copy in the back issue bins for a $1 and I grabbed it.

Don't be down on Marvel Age. There are early Black Costume Covers, a Thanos Quest preview, fan Infinity Gauntlet preview, 2nd Darkhawk and second Darkhawk cover appearances amongst many other great books to collect.

You also don't give 2 about listing them accurately on ebay because you are one of the sellers who intentionally deceives buyers by listing them as "true" 1st appearances.

As long as you're making money! :facepalm:

You also don't give 2 about listing them accurately on ebay because you are one of the sellers who intentionally deceives buyers by listing them as "true" 1st appearances.

As long as you're making money! :facepalm:

I personally dont list them as anything but their title and number but hey if it makes you happier i do not give a flying *** about it, true

Edited by Aweandlorder

Hard to have a conversation with you when you keep on editing your posts after I reply.

First printed appearance means what it says it is. Just like toy collectors go after unreleased prototypes. Context...

Context: I'm a comic book collector. I collect comic books. My collecting habits are defined by characters and stories. My love of these characters and this medium is inextricably defined by the stories. As such, promotional materials, ads, pamphlets, Previews magazine... none of these have any emotional pull for me.

I was just looking at the Darkhawk Wikipedia page to see if they mention Marvel Age #97. They do. They list it as his first appearance. :facepalm:

Keep in mind anyone can change those pages. They are an authority on nothing. Check out what it says now... :devil:

I was figuring someone here was responsible for the change.

IKRmagb.png

IKRmagb.png

Actually this guy did it:

kimjungun_Uniform.jpg

IKRmagb.png

Actually this guy did it:

kimjungun_Uniform.jpg

That is one hefty piece of Korean beef right there.

If we ever nuked Pyongyang, it would be Korean BBQ.

:whistle: