• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Marvel Age is a preview book.

Let me say that again: Marvel Age is a preview book.

It is not a traditional comic book (with exceptions) that tells a story in words and pictures. It is a preview book. It was designed to showcase upcoming Marvel publications, so that people would be interested in them and buy them.

Therefore, unless it contains original material that is not reprinted elsewhere (and cover don't count), it does not contain any "first appearances" or "cameo appearances" or anything of that sort, and shouldn't be marketed as if it does.

That doesn't mean it's not collectable...sure it is...but there are no "this is really the first appearance of Character X!"

Context is all-important.

:applause:

+1000000000

Add me to the list of "True Believers".

I concur.

They can be " important" and " collectible" , but they are not first appearances.

It is not a traditional comic book (with exceptions) that tells a story in words and pictures. It is a preview book. It was designed to showcase upcoming Marvel publications, so that people would be interested in them and buy them.

Therefore, unless it contains original material that is not reprinted elsewhere (and cover don't count), it does not contain any "first appearances" or "cameo appearances" or anything of that sort, and shouldn't be marketed as if it does.

That doesn't mean it's not collectable...sure it is...but there are no "this is really the first appearance of Character X!"

+1000000000

I concur.

They can be " important" and " collectible" , but they are not first appearances.

You can add "cool" and "interesting", but they still aren't first appearances.

+1000000000

I concur.

You can add "cool" and "interesting", but they still aren't first appearances.

You can add "lame" and "irrelevant", but they still aren't first appearances.

Therefore, unless it contains original material that is not reprinted elsewhere (and covers don't count), it does not contain any "first appearances" or "cameo appearances" or anything of that sort, and shouldn't be marketed as if it does.

I used to think like that as well, but the market speaks otherwise.

I just go with the flow anymore. The market is re-defining the definition of cameo vs 1st appearance. I don't want to believe it either, but several books are showing this.

Edited by Fastballspecial

If people want that stuff, that is cool. It is just a complete shift in thinking, and for old timers like me, it is a bit of a jolt. It was hard enough to get my head around second and later prints being sought after, but throw away promo material like Marvel Age, wow.

The whole market has kind of been infected with sportscard mentality - first appearances (rookie cards) are the most important, and regular issues (commons) are not highly sought after. These promo comics are like minor league cards or magazine insert cards.

^^

If only Marvel Age had a picture of NM 98 before it came out! :pullhair:

Has anyone listed ASM 359 as the "1st Marvel published picture of Carnage" yet? Insanity / stupidity being what it is

I got a Large stack of them just waiting for the price adjustment. :insane:

I'm a fan of ASM #359.

I can only see that one going up.

Hard to have a conversation with you when you keep on editing your posts after I reply.

First printed appearance means what it says it is. Just like toy collectors go after unreleased prototypes. Context...

Context: I'm a comic book collector. I collect comic books. My collecting habits are defined by characters and stories. My love of these characters and this medium is inextricably defined by the stories. As such, promotional materials, ads, pamphlets, Previews magazine... none of these have any emotional pull for me.

+1

The biggest problem with what the collector market has become... not enough people into it for the emotional pull.... too many in it for money.

Can't sell it for the love of the characters and stories, so they have to manufacture new collectibles. Remind's me of card dealers in the 90's.

Daredevil 115 has a ad for Wolverine in it before Hulk 181 came out. There is a demand for this book because of that. Do I agree with it, no, but it doesn't make it not valuable to some segment of collectors because I don't care about a book that they want.

There are comic book collectors that want and cherish these type of oddities. To sit here and give absolute judgments on a segment of the market is foolish.

I told everyone about a year ago not to underestimate the Marvel Age issues and everyone laughed. Looks what's happening now.

To copy what RMA said Marvel Age issues are only previews and NOT 1st appearances.

The issue everyone is discussing (we are talking about Marvel Age #100, right?) is almost certainly just another pump-and-dump book.

I have not noticed any movement among books on my personal 25 most important issues of Marvel Age list. Someone (or group) was buying up Marvel Age #10 on Dec. 16 on eBay, but I have not seen a hype move nor increased prices.

Having said that, I love Marvel Age and also believe many issues are currently undervalued.

First printed appearance of Batman:

ad_from_action12.jpg

This is from Action #12.

Well, that book does have a premium because of that. Same with More Fun 13.

Its not really the same thing. I understand your point, but see below.

Marvel Age 12 discusses the change and even adds sketches of what they plan the character to look like.

Marvel Age 97 has a pretty indepth discussion of the character where they are headed with him.