• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

Hot book that is finally getting its due after years of being idle. Hulk 324. Of course there is movie speculation involved but I have always thought this book should be worth more than it was.

Because of the return of the grey Hulk? I don't get it...

+1 Unless there is something in the book I am missing like a 1st Appearance or something this is really Not anything to chase... Jeez just grab a modern reprint of hulk #1

Synopsis for "The More Things Change"Edit

SHIELD has made a new genetic bath to cure Bruce Banner by making him control the Hulk. But something goes wrong, when Rick Jones notices that General Ross is fooling with the tank. At the same time Hulk is thrown in the bath. Rick and Ross fight, but the battle ends with Rick thrown into the bath too. Suddenly the tank breaks, and the new Hulk is born. He is Gray again after all these years.

REALLY ! That's it and this is a chase book? someone tell me its more than Hulk being grey again !

Isn't the Grey Hulk from #1 actually a retcon which took place after #324 though? .

I dont know how Hulk #1 can possibly be a retcon?

He was grey in the '62 #1 issue because of a printing ink problem. In #2 he is green, he was never intended to be grey. #324 is the first true grey hulk.

As I understand it you've got it backwards. There was generally a problem with the way comics were printed at that time ensuring a consistent gray (which makes sense if the gray is composed of cyan, magenta, and yellow; the printer would get variations if there were contaminants in the ink), so with issue 2 they decided to change him to green, which was easier to keep consistent from one issue to the next.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2006/03/02/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-40/

(thumbs u

Well yea, everyone knew that!

doh!

I can't believe I'm actually typing this but..do with it what you will.

Marvel Age 100 contained a 5-page Sleepwalker preview which predated Sleepwalker #1, and they've all vanished from ebay in the last few days.

I'm pretty down on anything having to do with "Marvel Age" to begin with... but I must admit when I was in my LCS today I did see a copy in the back issue bins for a $1 and I grabbed it.

Did I feel good about it? No. But I grabbed it. lol

So just passing on the info

Don't be down on Marvel Age. There are early Black Costume Covers, a Thanos Quest preview, fan Infinity Gauntlet preview, 2nd Darkhawk and second Darkhawk cover appearances amongst many other great books to collect.

Marvel Age is a preview book.

Let me say that again: Marvel Age is a preview book.

It is not a traditional comic book (with exceptions) that tells a story in words and pictures. It is a preview book. It was designed to showcase upcoming Marvel publications, so that people would be interested in them and buy them.

Therefore, unless it contains original material that is not reprinted elsewhere (and covers don't count), it does not contain any "first appearances" or "cameo appearances" or anything of that sort, and shouldn't be marketed as if it does.

That doesn't mean it's not collectable...sure it is...but there are no "this is really the first appearance of Character X!"

Context is all-important.

It is not a traditional comic book (with exceptions) that tells a story in words and pictures. It is a preview book. It was designed to showcase upcoming Marvel publications, so that people would be interested in them and buy them.

Therefore, unless it contains original material that is not reprinted elsewhere (and cover don't count), it does not contain any "first appearances" or "cameo appearances" or anything of that sort, and shouldn't be marketed as if it does.

That doesn't mean it's not collectable...sure it is...but there are no "this is really the first appearance of Character X!"

:applause:

Therefore, unless it contains original material that is not reprinted elsewhere (and cover don't count), it does not contain any "first appearances" or "cameo appearances" or anything of that sort, and shouldn't be marketed as if it does.

+1000000000

Therefore, unless it contains original material that is not reprinted elsewhere (and covers don't count), it does not contain any "first appearances" or "cameo appearances" or anything of that sort, and shouldn't be marketed as if it does.

I agree 100% . . . (unless, of course, I have a stack of them. :devil: ) :roflmao:

+1000000000

Add me to the list of "True Believers".

I agree that Marvel Age was a preview book, but that doesn't take away from the fact that there was some first published appearances/introductions littered throughout the run. Marvel Age even had some original art/story in some issues. Some collectors want a first published appearance of a character regardless if it fits into continuity or not. I don't have that itch but I can see why one would.

Some of these issues are the first time a character is seen in print. Context...

I agree that Marvel Age was a preview book, but that doesn't take away from the fact that there was some first published appearances/introductions littered throughout the run. Marvel Age even had some original art/story in some issues. Some collectors want a first published appearance of a character regardless if it fits into continuity or not. I don't have that itch but I can see why one would.

Some of these issues are the first time a character is seen in print. Context...

Then my collection of Previews is priceless, and I now want $20,000 for my Walking Dead #1 issue of Previews, which predated WD #1 by 2 months.

First time characters are seen in print, right...?

Context.

There are no, with some exceptions, "first published appearances" or "introductions" in the series at all. It is PROMOTIONAL material.

"First time appearing in a printed medium" does not therefore mean a "first appearance" as that is defined by the hobby.

Actually, yeah your right. Now the difference for comic book collectors is Marvel Age is an actual comic sized "preview" mag which calls itself a comic.

It's printed, is it not?

But if you had a stack of the Walking Dead Preview book and pimped it right I bet you could do ok with it.

And if I called it the "first appearance of Walking Dead!" I would be a liar and a hack.

If people want that stuff, that is cool. It is just a complete shift in thinking, and for old timers like me, it is a bit of a jolt. It was hard enough to get my head around second and later prints being sought after, but throw away promo material like Marvel Age, wow.

The whole market has kind of been infected with sportscard mentality - first appearances (rookie cards) are the most important, and regular issues (commons) are not highly sought after. These promo comics are like minor league cards or magazine insert cards.

I was just looking at the Darkhawk Wikipedia page to see if they mention Marvel Age #97. They do. They list it as his first appearance. :facepalm:

Darkhawk doesn't even appear in the 5 page preview contained in Marvel Age #97. He obviously does appear on the cover.

Previews/Marvel Age are not the first appearance of anything. This is silly.

If people want that stuff, that is cool. It is just a complete shift in thinking, and for old timers like me, it is a bit of a jolt. It was hard enough to get my head around second and later prints being sought after, but throw away promo material like Marvel Age, wow.

The whole 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc print thing blows my mind. Anything for a "variant"