• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

New Mutants #18 (first appearance of Warlock) seems to be heating up. People are starting to appreciate The Demon Bear Saga again, hurrah!

But the art was horrendous. This is from memory I haven't read it in a long time.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I love Bill S. artwork.

Love.

I can see where not everyone does, though. That's comics for ya!

For instance, I HATE JRJR artwork. Can't stand it....

Totally agree!

Bill S = two thumbs up!

JRJR = gives me a constipated face :(

I'm always left wondering why, when someone tells me they dig JRjr.

+1

New Mutants #18 (first appearance of Warlock) seems to be heating up. People are starting to appreciate The Demon Bear Saga again, hurrah!

But the art was horrendous. This is from memory I haven't read it in a long time.

I love Bill S. artwork.

Love.

I can see where not everyone does, though. That's comics for ya!

For instance, I HATE JRJR artwork. Can't stand it....

Totally agree!

Bill S = two thumbs up!

JRJR = gives me a constipated face :(

I'm always left wondering why, when someone tells me they dig JRjr.

JR Jr was good back in the 80s. These days, not so much.

I hated Bill S's art from that period. It was like he was drawing with psychedelic crayons while on acid. Just weird stuff.

I belong to the pro Sienko team. But I will say this.. I always thought back then that Marvel's pick of Bill to draw a mainstream superhero book was a very strange one. Bill's work was definitely too avant garde for that title. But somehow they made it work. There was actually so much talent on that series back then.. Sienkiewicz, Adams, Mignola, BWS, Davis..

I wasn't a huge fan of MIgnola back then, but his work has grown on me.

I hated Bill S's art from that period. It was like he was drawing with psychedelic crayons while on acid. Just weird stuff.

A.K.A. innovative, ground-breaking, influential, genius...

But I'm def not sad when a bonk I own explodes overnight just because of a movie rumor.

I am also not sad when movies make your bonks explode.

All that could be true. I won't argue it. However, I still didn't like it and didn't think it was suitable for a superhero comic.

My opinion of his work from that period has changed slightly. I can appreciate it more now that I'm older but I still wouldn't say I'm a fan.

But I'm def not sad when a bonk I own explodes overnight just because of a movie rumor.

I am also not sad when movies make your bonks explode.

My bonk exploded in college once. It was at this party, there was this sweet young thing. Talk about you bonk explosions, boy howdy!

Went to a "comic" convention last weekend that didn't have any comics; went to a Flea Market afterward and found a Dark Knight Returns #1.

The seller noted it as a 1st print and I didn't see anything inside denoting a later printing.

How are later printings ID-ed in this set? Should it explicitly say "2nd Printing" inside or is there some trick?

Yes, it should explicitly say "Second Printing" or "Third Printing."

Thanks for the info, again. :thumbsup:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Micro-Series-1-VF-NM-Raphael-Mirage-1985-1st-Print-/311336058106?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487d133cfa

I have a bunch from this mini, just don't know if the Raphael one is rarer than the others?

Now to find them.

uhg

I'm not sure its rarer, but its ALWAYS been worth more than the others.

First appearance of Casey Jones, if you're wondering why it sells for more.

Who is being played by Stephen Amell from Arrow in the next movie. But really, that book has always command some decent change.

All that could be true. I won't argue it. However, I still didn't like it and didn't think it was suitable for a superhero comic.

My opinion of his work from that period has changed slightly. I can appreciate it more now that I'm older but I still wouldn't say I'm a fan.

I get it. I DO think it was suitable for a superhero comic, because I think anything can be suitable for a superhero comic. And there are lots of artists whose work I don't enjoy, but I recognize their artistic accomplishments and respect the opinions of learned critics enough that I wouldn't call their work "horrendous" just because I don't enjoy it (or, worse, because I'm not sufficiently learned in the field to appreciate what I'm seeing.)

But glad you're able to appreciate it more now...! I'm still waiting for that to happen with me and [redacted]...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Micro-Series-1-VF-NM-Raphael-Mirage-1985-1st-Print-/311336058106?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487d133cfa

I have a bunch from this mini, just don't know if the Raphael one is rarer than the others?

Now to find them.

uhg

zzz I sold my last copy, a VF-, for $120 a month or two ago at a local show.

Now to find them.

uhg

Yeah, but what is that, like $3.50 in US Dollars....?

:shy:

Now to find them.

uhg

Yeah, but what is that, like $3.50 in US Dollars....?

:shy:

ok, i can't seem to find the other turtles having a cover similar to that one (sepia or whatever) and i am remembering them all being that sort of coloring, so criminey, I might have like 6 or 7 of these. would they have been pretty much worthless 7-9 years ago when i first looked them up?

It was great art. But, not for New Mutants.

It was an artistic mismatch much like having Miller take over Power Pack would have been.

It was an artistic mismatch much like having Miller take over Power Pack would have been.

I liked alot of Bill's stuff, but its been years since I have read the New Mutants and I still remember how bad that art was so it does linger on you I guess. Edited by Fastballspecial

I liked alot of Bill's stuff, but its been years since I have read the New Mutants and I still remember how bad that art was so it does linger on you I guess.

I think part of the issue was that prior to that, on Moon Knight, Bill was cloning Neal Adams. The change was like ....wtf????