• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

With all due respect, I think you may have missed the ironic nature of my posts regarding any impending "bubble" or "crash". It should be readily apparent that my statements on that topic should be taken in context with what RMA has said on it. Further, I have never said or implied "what I collect is great and what you collect sucks" so I don't know where you are getting that from. I collect everything including stuff I know is cr@p. The difference is I don't get bothered when someone calls it cr@p. lol

With regards to the "value" of MGN 4- I have not stated anything incorrect about what it has sold for most recently. The two most recent sales were significantly down from the $500 figure that it realized for a moment in time and indicated a downward price trend.

I appreciate your passion for this series and these characters, but I notice that said passion was conspicuously absent (at least publicly) prior to this movie announcement. Such is the nature of the current comic collecting beast I suppose when it comes to movie hype these days. Movies create "key comics" as opposed to "key comics" creating movies. Speaking of movies, that kind of reminds me of "Wag the Dog".

As a last note, I do think it is potential folly to be over-paying for a book based solely on the announcement of a (possible) movie title and nothing more. I do agree with you on the likelihood that we will be seeing the Liefeld "new mutants" in the movie (if it is actually made).

-J.

Wasn't going to answer further as I think my original post says enough, and I don't like hijacking threads. But I do want to correct your implied accusation of my intentions here and a couple other things.

I have three legit childhood comic passions: Legion of Super-Heroes, Power Pack, and New Mutants. I love those original series and teams with all my heart. But you're right, I very rarely discuss them publicly. That's just not me. I like to read these boards though, with the occasional comment here and there, as well as show off occasionally the beauty of a book I've picked up. If there were an active NM thread, it would be one of my faves to read each post. With the announcement, I'm very much loving reading people's posts about the original New Mutants in the various threads.

What got my passions going about your post was using MGN 4 as your example of a bad investment. I just strongly disagree, having spent years wanting to get one and knowing how rarely they come up at a convenient price for me. Now if you would have used NM 1 as your example instead, I would have agreed with much of what you said about it (other than the lame character comments) and speculating heavily on questionably hyped books. It's easy to argue that book is over-priced suddenly, whereas on the other hand, it's easier to argue MGN 4 has been under-valued.

And you definitely implied a "what I LIKE (not "collect") rocks and what you like sucks" attitude by being the purveyor of which characters are cool and which ones are lame when discussing which books are good investments and worthy of movies.

Finally, what you said about the most recent sales of the book may not be completely incorrect, but it's not completely correct either. You fail to account for context of the sales -- the small sample size, the time of year sold, sales not cited in GPA (such as mine for $405 in Feb but let ride a high bid amount by me for $500+ on it since I had tax return money available to me at the time), other books taking up investment dollars these past few months, etc.... More accurately, because of the small sample size, it's probably better to say the RANGE of sales over the past couple years has been between $325 - 550 (or whatever, not sure what the highest price paid has been), with the average being around $500. As more copies enter the market and demand surges/wanes, we'll begin to see truer trends than the occasional pop here or there. In any event, just not the right book to use as an example.

Sorry, yes, you are right. I'm way overly passionate about this book and this team. It was very influential for me as a kid coming to love this hobby.

MGN 4 literally doubled in price overnight on graded copies once the movie news hit. Finding a 9.8 for less than $700 is going to be a tough task now.

LCS are all probably wiped out but I would try to find some raw copies in the wild.

"GIMME GIMME GIMME".

Is this what RMA meant ? If so, then we probably deserve a crash. Anyone who suddenly wants this book simply because the concept of a potential movie was announced and pays "$700+" will probably lose money, as hundreds and hundreds (thousands?) of copies are now being boxed and readied for CGC as I type this. Although I do still find RMA's comments hypocritical, considering he will be an active particpant in the "madness". I don't think anybody who pays $700 for this book would ever (or have any right) to go back to the dealer who sold them the book six months later and blame them for their nonsensical impulse buy. And I don't think that is anything RMA (or any other dealer) worries about. It really is a "GIMME GIMME GIMME" on both sides then, isn't it RMA.

By the way, the books to own are (still) X-men 1, Hulk 181, NM 87 and 98.

Those no-name D-lister mutants in MGN 4 will not be what carry any movie (assuming the movie even happens). The general public has gone to see every x-men movie thus far essentially for wolverine. The comic fan boys want to see Deadpool and Cable now. The real X-men would undoubtedly appear in any "New Mutants" movie as well.

And Oops, what if the potential title literally means what it says and FOX actually creates "new mutants" that never appeared in any comic. Quite the possibility, since, lets face it, the "new mutants" that appeared in the comics really are quite lame. lol

-J.

I think, like pretty much all other movies based on comics (with the exception of Fantastic Four, for what I think are obvious reasons), the team for the movie will pull from the entire run, maybe even from Generation X (whose rights I imagine are also with Fox, but would be a pointless title for a movie about teens these days, I think), for what makes a good dynamic for the movie. I'll point out too that at least two of the original team have been members of the Avengers recently in the comics. (I don't keep up much with current Marvel, so I don't know if that's a temporary thing.)

I would think, at the very least, we'll see at least Cannonball and Sunspot in the movie. I loved the character Warlock, but it's probably far too complicated a backstory to include him in a first movie. Illyana, perhaps. There could be some good setup for a sequel with her abilities. Wolfsbane, Rictor, and Boom Boom for a 6-member team perhaps?

As long as we're talking New Mutants...Cypher sucks.

I couldn't stand how much time Alan Davis devoted to that lame character. Such a great artist working on such a boring subject. Blah.

I like the idea of a character whose abilities aren't necessarily conducive to a fighting force. Remember, these are students looking to hone their powers to their best potential. Not everyone is going to have the same ceiling of potential. Could be a great metaphor for subtext in the movie.

I loved the character Warlock, but it's probably far too complicated a backstory to include...

I actually think that from the entire line up, Warlock will be the one theyll have the fun with the most based on recent trends.. Kinda like a groot character maybe, and with the endless CGI possibilities, you just know theyll make him a huge star with the kids

If you told me years ago that MGN 4 would be carry any value at any point I would have told you I had swamp land in Vegas to sell you. :insane:

This book was everywhere for years nobody wanted it. The level at resell currently is uttlerly amazing to collectors like me from the 80s/90s.

Edited by Fastballspecial

If you told me years ago that MGN 4 would be carry any value at any point I would have told you I had swamp land in Vegas to sell you. :insane:

This book was everywhere for years nobody wanted it. The level at resell currently is uttlerly amazing to collectors like me from the 80s/90s.

No one wants anything unless a movie or a tv show is coming...sad but true

I remember when MGN 4 came out. I bought one b/c of all the x-men hype and thought I would get in on the ground floor. meh.

When I noticed the large quantity of finger prints I asked Joel at Sunshine Comics if I could use windex to clean it.

I remember when MGN 4 came out. I bought one b/c of all the x-men hype and thought I would get in on the ground floor. meh.

When I noticed the large quantity of finger prints I asked Joel at Sunshine Comics if I could use windex to clean it.

Crickets...

Crickets...

I was only 14 at the time.

Unfortunately raw copies aren't moving at the same rate

I've been buying as many copies of this book (and the rest of the series) since the beginning of the year and still haven't found a solid 9.8

I suspect that at the beginning of the year was already a bit too late, I would imagine that most speculators held or sent all their 9.8 raws by then..

Crickets...

I was only 14 at the time.

I'll give you a pass then :kidaround:

Unfortunately raw copies aren't moving at the same rate

I've been buying as many copies of this book (and the rest of the series) since the beginning of the year and still haven't found a solid 9.8

I suspect that at the beginning of the year was already a bit too late, I would imagine that most speculators held or sent all their 9.8 raws by then..

Just have to look harder. They are out there. Not everyone slabs books, Most dealers at small shows don't even have a paypal account, but yet they have all these nice books

Is it possible to press any of the Marvel Graphic Novels -- and get good results? IIRC the cover stock is thicker (card stock), and any creasing that you get is likely there to stay.

Compared to other, larger books like Vengeance of Bane which has more of a "traditional" stock.

Is it possible to press any of the Marvel Graphic Novels -- and get good results? IIRC the cover stock is thicker (card stock), and any creasing that you get is likely there to stay.

Compared to other, larger books like Vengeance of Bane which has more of a "traditional" stock.

Yes, you can press a bound book, well, some can. The question is does it have a crease from being opened the whole way? You're not going to fix that obviously.