• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

New Mutants #18 (first appearance of Warlock) seems to be heating up. People are starting to appreciate The Demon Bear Saga again, hurrah!

But the art was horrendous. This is from memory I haven't read it in a long time.

:o

(tsk)

Now, now... it's his opinion, and he can have it.

Even if he is horribly, terribly, exasperatingly wrong.

(:

-slym

wow. That's ultra cheap. Anyone know what the most one of these have gone for?

Wow. That's insane. I wish I'd have known. :(

You can name your own price on that. Someone will want it more than you one day.

Yeah, I wish I would have known. I sold mine for $400 (minus fees) and have regretted it ever since. I would have bid double that with no problem.

You had the AP edition?

I caught this last minute today.. I swear I felt ill after finishing reading the description and pressing bid now only a second too late. This is def the one that got away :sorry:

You can name your own price on that. Someone will want it more than you one day.

Yeah, I wish I would have known. I sold mine for $400 (minus fees) and have regretted it ever since. I would have bid double that with no problem.

You had the AP edition?

I caught this last minute today.. I swear I felt ill after finishing reading the description and pressing bid now only a second too late. This is def the one that got away :sorry:

RMA has everything. :grin:

Went to a "comic" convention last weekend that didn't have any comics; went to a Flea Market afterward and found a Dark Knight Returns #1.

The seller noted it as a 1st print and I didn't see anything inside denoting a later printing.

How are later printings ID-ed in this set? Should it explicitly say "2nd Printing" inside or is there some trick?

Went to a "comic" convention last weekend that didn't have any comics; went to a Flea Market afterward and found a Dark Knight Returns #1.

The seller noted it as a 1st print and I didn't see anything inside denoting a later printing.

How are later printings ID-ed in this set? Should it explicitly say "2nd Printing" inside or is there some trick?

Yes, it should explicitly say "Second Printing" or "Third Printing."

ugh. Been there. There was a recent Quesada Solar #17 cover that went for just a few hundred dollars on Ebay. The seller listed it as being by "Robert" Layton and no one I know really noticed it until it was already sold. I would have paid a G for it no problem, but what can you do? I think it changed hands a few times over the past month or so, and it sold for as much as $1700 if I remember correctly. Missed opportunities on OA drive me a little crazy. At least with this book there is the potential that another cheap one could pop up again. I think I would pay $500 for one, and I'm pretty cheap on things that aren't original art.

You had the AP edition?

ugh. Been there. There was a recent Quesada Solar #17 cover that went for just a few hundred dollars on Ebay. The seller listed it as being by "Robert" Layton and no one I know really noticed it until it was already sold. I would have paid a G for it no problem, but what can you do? I think it changed hands a few times over the past month or so, and it sold for as much as $1700 if I remember correctly. Missed opportunities on OA drive me a little crazy. At least with this book there is the potential that another cheap one could pop up again. I think I would pay $500 for one, and I'm pretty cheap on things that aren't original art.

You had the AP edition?

Finding an A/P copy of this book is almost as rare as original art for such a cheap price as there were only 50 made.. This is probably the rarest DKR item out there signed by FM, and look at the condition of it.. the seller says it's in its original shipping box. Oh, the humanity!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Micro-Series-1-VF-NM-Raphael-Mirage-1985-1st-Print-/311336058106?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487d133cfa

I have a bunch from this mini, just don't know if the Raphael one is rarer than the others?

Now to find them.

uhg

I'm not sure its rarer, but its ALWAYS been worth more than the others.

New Mutants #18 (first appearance of Warlock) seems to be heating up. People are starting to appreciate The Demon Bear Saga again, hurrah!

But the art was horrendous. This is from memory I haven't read it in a long time.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I hated Bill S's art from that period. It was like he was drawing with psychedelic crayons while on acid. Just weird stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Micro-Series-1-VF-NM-Raphael-Mirage-1985-1st-Print-/311336058106?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487d133cfa

I have a bunch from this mini, just don't know if the Raphael one is rarer than the others?

Now to find them.

uhg

I'm not sure its rarer, but its ALWAYS been worth more than the others.

First appearance of Casey Jones, if you're wondering why it sells for more.

How did I miss that....?

Now I feel miserable. Great.

I love Bill S. artwork.

Love.

I can see where not everyone does, though. That's comics for ya!

For instance, I HATE JRJR artwork. Can't stand it....

MGN 4 literally doubled in price overnight on graded copies once the movie news hit. Finding a 9.8 for less than $700 is going to be a tough task now.

LCS are all probably wiped out but I would try to find some raw copies in the wild.

"GIMME GIMME GIMME".

Is this what RMA meant ? If so, then we probably deserve a crash. Anyone who suddenly wants this book simply because the concept of a potential movie was announced and pays "$700+" will probably lose money, as hundreds and hundreds (thousands?) of copies are now being boxed and readied for CGC as I type this. Although I do still find RMA's comments hypocritical, considering he will be an active particpant in the "madness". I don't think anybody who pays $700 for this book would ever (or have any right) to go back to the dealer who sold them the book six months later and blame them for their nonsensical impulse buy. And I don't think that is anything RMA (or any other dealer) worries about. It really is a "GIMME GIMME GIMME" on both sides then, isn't it RMA.

By the way, the books to own are (still) X-men 1, Hulk 181, NM 87 and 98.

Those no-name D-lister mutants in MGN 4 will not be what carry any movie (assuming the movie even happens). The general public has gone to see every x-men movie thus far essentially for wolverine. The comic fan boys want to see Deadpool and Cable now. The real X-men would undoubtedly appear in any "New Mutants" movie as well.

And Oops, what if the potential title literally means what it says and FOX actually creates "new mutants" that never appeared in any comic. Quite the possibility, since, lets face it, the "new mutants" that appeared in the comics really are quite lame. lol

-J.

That would be hilarious, but I bet Fox cannot just slap these brands on any characters due to contract restrictions.

With that said, I mentioned before I am in awe how many people are sucked into this movie hype. People that could care less about a book today, but when a movie is announced, all of a sudden they want the book. I don't understand the mentality at all. Why is the book more desirable because of a movie?

I am so glad I made the decision to divest myself of most of my collection. Every day, a new book is popping and I am able to capitalize on it. If I sold my collection 5-10 years ago, I wouldn't have gotten nearly as much as I'm am able to make today. I don't understand it, but I also am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I agree 100%.

I have never bought a book for my PC because there was a movie of character X or Team X coming out.

I am glad the market is this way, for the simple fact I can get what I consider steals on books I want that no one is paying attention too at the moment.

One of my collecting goals is to own every 1st appearance of the main core of X-Men over the entire run.

The movie spec has definitely hurt me on that one (not that many weren't already pricey, lol )

But I'm def not sad when a book I own explodes overnight just because of a movie rumor.

Even though I don't sell, it's still a hobby, and increased popularity on your favorite items is always a good thing.

Now give me a Moon Knight show!!!!

I hated Bill S's art from that period. It was like he was drawing with psychedelic crayons while on acid. Just weird stuff.

I belong to the pro Sienko team. But I will say this.. I always thought back then that Marvel's pick of Bill to draw a mainstream superhero book was a very strange one. Bill's work was definitely too avant garde for that title. But somehow they made it work. There was actually so much talent on that series back then.. Sienkiewicz, Adams, Mignola, BWS, Davis..

I love Bill S. artwork.

Love.

I can see where not everyone does, though. That's comics for ya!

For instance, I HATE JRJR artwork. Can't stand it....

Totally agree!

Bill S = two thumbs up!

JRJR = gives me a constipated face :(

I'm always left wondering why, when someone tells me they dig JRjr.