• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

I used to check out the sparkle city auctions when they where mostly CGC books. They started selling a lot of Raw books and the grading seems blown up like the example above.

Same here. I bid and won a few every now and then when the slabs were on ebay. Even then it appeared that CGC's grading was rather loose on many books. Now that they have moved to raw stuff I rarely find anything that looks accurately graded.

I am sure that the reason why dealers like Sparkle City Comics grade so loosely is because they are well known for buying pedigree collections,they are Overstreet advisors and so on.....so "green" collectors associate dealers like Sparkle City as being authorities in the field .

Consequently, Sparkle City know they can get away with ridiculously liberal grading standards.

There are a couple other big name dealers / Overstreet advisors who pull the same sort of tricks, with selling overgraded raw comics on eBay......green collectors will pay higher prices from these sorts of dealers because green collectors are duped into paying a premium for the dealer's status in the hobby and being able to say" I bought this from Sparkle City Comics"

This Avengers 196 looks like an 8.0 to an 8.5, just by eyeballing the pics.

2 transverse spine tics

Oxidation staining on BC

Wear on BC along upper left edge

Not only do they know how to grade, they also know how to accurately describe a book's edition.. Such as the examples below:

Dazzler #1 Newsstand #1

Dazzler #1 Newsstand #2

Maybe these are the only 2 known newsstand copies in existence?

I used to check out the sparkle city auctions when they where mostly CGC books. They started selling a lot of Raw books and the grading seems blown up like the example above.

Same here. I bid and won a few every now and then when the slabs were on ebay. Even then it appeared that CGC's grading was rather loose on many books. Now that they have moved to raw stuff I rarely find anything that looks accurately graded.

I am sure that the reason why dealers like Sparkle City Comics grade so loosely is because they are well known for buying pedigree collections,they are Overstreet advisors and so on.....so "green" collectors associate dealers like Sparkle City as being authorities in the field .

Consequently, Sparkle City know they can get away with ridiculously liberal grading standards.

There are a couple other big name dealers / Overstreet advisors who pull the same sort of tricks, with selling overgraded raw comics on eBay......green collectors will pay higher prices from these sorts of dealers because green collectors are duped into paying a premium for the dealer's status in the hobby and being able to say" I bought this from Sparkle City Comics"

2 transverse spine tics

Oxidation staining on BC

Not only do they know how to grade, they also know how to accurately describe a book's edition.. Such as the examples below:

Dazzler #1 Newsstand #1

Dazzler #1 Newsstand #2

I think they've lost their "Sparkle" . . . :grin:

2 transverse spine tics

Oxidation staining on BC

Dazzler #1 Newsstand #1

Dazzler #1 Newsstand #2

Hmmmm… if called on their BS, I imagine that they will defend the listing description by saying that "Newsstand Fresh" is mean to convey that it is brand new, not that it's an edition that doesn't exist.

2 transverse spine tics

Oxidation staining on BC

Dazzler #1 Newsstand #1

Dazzler #1 Newsstand #2

Hmmmm… if called on their BS, I imagine that they will defend the listing description by saying that "Newsstand Fresh" is mean to convey that it is brand new, not that it's an edition that doesn't exist.

As we all know - Newsstand and fresh should never exist in one sentence

2 transverse spine tics

Oxidation staining on BC

Dazzler #1 Newsstand #1

Dazzler #1 Newsstand #2

As we all know - Newsstand and fresh should never exist in one sentence

Unless it's a "Tomato Boxer". :grin:

Not many out there, so prices are fairly scattershot. But I had no idea the prices paid the past couple years on the 1981 Love and Rockets #1 (B&W self-published). There's currently a 9.8 copy in the Heritage Auction. Looks like it may come in below that $2k price paid for a 9.6 in 2013. Anyway, just thought I'd mention this book as I just happened to look it up due to that auction.

Not many out there, so prices are fairly scattershot. But I had no idea the prices paid the past couple years on the 1981 Love and Rockets #1 (B&W self-published). There's currently a 9.8 copy in the Heritage Auction. Looks like it may come in below that $2k price paid for a 9.6 in 2013. Anyway, just thought I'd mention this book as I just happened to look it up due to that auction.

Any book that's hand stapled and gets picked-up for a higher print run is a good bet in my book.