• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

I've never gotten such an effusive comment like that....I mean, "2 mylars with buffered acid free boards" was the first thing they noticed, AND it put a smile on their face...? hm

Be glad you never got such a comment...it's usually followed by "and that's why I've decided I'd like to wear your skin as a suit."

"I can't bear the thought of you shipping such perfect comics to anyone else so perfectly with such perfect packaging."

"The quality of your character, as evinced by your superior bubble wrapping skills, has convinced me that I can only attain your level of greatness by eating your soul."

:D

As always if you don't care for the direction the thread is headed nominate a book that is heating up or potentially heating up and you can right the ship.

So what's heating up in Copper? hm I see that Batman 436 is doing very well, although off its highs from a few months ago. :grin:

I'd probably change the subject too.

Dog-and-Bone.jpg

Once that dog bites down on his cause bone, he never lets go. No matter how small or large the bone may be.

(:

Dear copperagekids,

Your packaging was outstanding. The comic arrived in perfect condition and is exactly like you said a "SOLID CGC 9.8 CANDIDATE". In 2 mylars with buffered acid free boards did not go unnoticed...on the contrary, it was the 1st thing I noticed and that put a smile on my face. This one will be sent to my cgc affiliate for signatures and grading.

The way you shipped it spoke volumes of your character, your professionalism, your dedication and respect toward this industry.

Just yesterday, another seller wrote saying that I was demanding, ridiculous, impatient and immature. I know he was wrong but still, it hurt.

I thoroughly enjoyed our transaction and have already added you to my best sellers list. Hope that the feedback I left for you adequately conveyed my appreciation and gratitude for all that you did.

Thank you very, very much, ed

This sounds like you wrote it.

Did you write it?

Or, did you solicit it?

This is not a natural, spontaneous response.

No, I did not write this nor did I solict this message.I removed the buyer's user ID from the message BUT I am sure he wouldn't mind if I were to post his user ID up on here.

This is a ***********perfectly natural response considering******* the following:

The buyer received the Preacher # 42 in dead on 9.8, as shown in the auction pics.The buyer paid $44.99 for the book, shipped.

Current GPA shows this book at $103 in 9.8 and trending upwards.

The book was triple packaged...( as in I placed the book in a Standard Mylite2 + TWO Standard Gerber Full Backs for a snug fit...then the bagged/boarded comic was slid into a silver/gold Mylite2 + silver/gold gerber Full Back Board combo...placed on top of a sheet of cardboard...slid carefully into a bubblewrap mailer....with the following written on the mailer' sides:

"SPINE OF BOOK IS ON THIS SIDE"

(arrows pointing to outer edge)

Opposing side was marked with:

"HANDLE/REMOVE BOOK FROM THIS SIDE"

The bubblewrap mailer was shipped with four cut out pieces of cardboard around all corners....and wrapped in bubblewrap itself, and then shipped in a 4 wall cardboard box.

I take every single precaution needed to ensure my buyers get what they pay for i.e.I do not treat them like disposable jerkoffs by giving out soft grades or shipping out books sandwiched in cardboard and compressing their spines with mailing tape.

You (the ebay buyer) spend your money on high grade raw books off ebay then get a book sold to you as a "9.8" with shoddy packaging...or softly graded...and you wind up with a 8.5 or 9.2 or whatever falls shy of the 9.8 you spent your money on and expected to receive.

Then you buy a book from me and you get the book, as described...packaged just as cautiously as if I (The seller) were sending in the 9.8 candidate to CGC to be graded, myself.

As I said, you give people what they pay for, and charge them fair prices, they are grateful for the service you provide...and you get repeat customers.

Hell, I ship with more care than 99% of other sellers on ebay or on this board.Every single time I buy books thru eBay ...from "comic dealers", as well as the few times that I have bought books from boardies on here, their packaging methods were not as considerate as mine.

That's an interesting story.

However, I have sold books as described on eBay since 1998, and many books that ended up grading higher thanI said they would, and I've never gotten such an effusive comment like that....I mean, "2 mylars with buffered acid free boards" was the first thing they noticed, AND it put a smile on their face...? hm

And "The way you shipped it spoke volumes of your character"...?

hm

The way someone ships may speak volumes of their competence, but their character...?

Sounds like a solicited testimonial.

Carry on.

PS. "Bubble wrap mailers" should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever (breathhhhhhhe) EVER, ever, ever be used to ship comics, for any reason, ever, unless you're shipping the rattiest of reader copies.

They are TOO FLIMSY.

If you're going to use an envelope, rather than a box, you should use the flat rate envelopes, and use the pre-cut 9.x 12 pads. If you do it properly, the boards will stiffen (I'm watching you, C4F) the envelope so that it provides solid corners in the event of impact.

Bubble wrap mailers do not, and you're relying solely on the integrity of the sandwich inside to protect the book.

Also...this is something that isn't talked about a lot, but "snug fit", either in a mylar or a bag and board, is not always such a good thing, especially if you have to put ANY pressure beyond gravity into the book/board to get it all the way in. The bottom edge of the book (or top, depending on orientation) is pressed against the interior plastic, and if there's a color fleck or two, it almost always gets pushed up.

Something to think about.

Right on about the possibility of having too snug a fit but a 30 page modern book is very thin, and inside of a Standard (not modern size) Mylite 2 + Standard Full Back,...too risky for my liking.So I use 2 Full Backs.I crease the top of the Mylite 2 beforehand so the fit is secure.

A modern book with 2 standard Full Backs in a standard Mylite2 feels like a brick.Then sliding that brick into the next size up Mylite 2 + Full Back combo and it is rock solid.

Modern sized M2's + Full Backs are too tight, in all respects....you can't use 2 boards, well you can...but it'd be too tight of a fit, as you pointed out....and I also like to have my moderns in standard M2's/Full backs b/c the boards extend well past the edges of the books so if a clod grabs a book at a show, he's less likely to compress the spine.

Also....I ONLY ship in boxes.Bubblewwrap mailers for comics are balls.I only use them as packaging material.

My post was probably a bit too wordy so I apologize but if you read my last post over again about shipping methods, you'll see what I'm referring to.

Rma, the bubble wrap mailer with cardboard samich and more wrap were inside a box

The packing sounds above and beyond.

Indeed sir, it is.

I don't actually employ the 2 sheets of cardboard sandwich method though....I hate that siht.Seriously, nothing frustrates me more than getting a book within 2 sheets of cardboard, covered in mailing tape.Super easy way to cause spine tics and even if it doesn't, it's a frustrating to have to slit all 4 sides and ho[e that you don't jack up the spine in the process.

I use one sheet, as in I lay the bagged/boarded book on top of the sheet of cardboard and slide it into the bubblewrap mailer.The one sheet of cardboard just acts as an additional backing board while filling up any free space within the bubblewrap mailer.A placeholder is all I use it for.

I then use one piece of Scotch gift tape to close the bubblewrap mailer-avoiding the pre-set adhesive strip altogether as that requires a razor blade or scissors to remove the comic.

Then I'll cut out4 small pieces of cardboard and place them around the bubblewrap's corner's like a cardboard picture frame.

Then I'll wrap the bubblewrap mailer in bubblewrap itself.

So, the final product is incased in cardboard and bubblewrap, then actually surrounded in yet more bubblewrap...and shipped in a 4 wall cardboard box ; about the size of a usps priority box.

I should actually take pics of this shipping method and include them in my listings.

As always if you don't care for the direction the thread is headed nominate a book that is heating up or potentially heating up and you can right the ship.

So what's heating up in Copper? hm I see that Batman 436 is doing very well, although off its highs from a few months ago. :grin:

I'd probably change the subject too.

Dog-and-Bone.jpg

Once that dog bites down on his cause bone, he never lets go. No matter how small or large the bone may be.

(:

Even the simplest of straight answers can defuse even the most sticky issues.

I've never gotten such an effusive comment like that....I mean, "2 mylars with buffered acid free boards" was the first thing they noticed, AND it put a smile on their face...? hm

Be glad you never got such a comment...it's usually followed by "and that's why I've decided I'd like to wear your skin as a suit."

"I can't bear the thought of you shipping such perfect comics to anyone else so perfectly with such perfect packaging."

I once got an email from a buyer who said I did such a great job, he's gonna name his newlyborn twin babies Awe & Lorder

So Tim Drake is a hot book because of...what? Arkham Knight?

I'm still surprised the Arkham Knight turned out to be

Jason Todd.

You had better not have just ruined the surprise in that game :pullhair:

Edited by Hado

So Tim Drake is a hot book because of...what? Arkham Knight?

I'm still surprised the Arkham Knight turned out to be

Jason Todd.

No disrespect, but I'm surprised. Many people saw that coming miles away, especially with

how think Rocksteady laid it on with the Joker/Jason torture scenes

So what's heating up in Copper? hm I see that Batman 436 is doing very well in graded 9.8 ss, although off its highs from a few months ago. :grin:

Fixed that...

all sales results

Edited by ygogolak

Wait, I'm confused. Darkhawk #1 9.8 @ $2 & 32 watchers? I love Darkhawk but why this one particular seller/issue? hm

Would have been interesting to let that auction ride without saying anything, and seeing how it ended. But I bet when this gets down to the last minute, the auto-bids will start flying.

So what's heating up in Copper? hm I see that Batman 436 is doing very well in graded 9.8 ss, although off its highs from a few months ago. :grin:

Fixed that...

all sales results

Better yet! :baiting:

Wait, I'm confused. Darkhawk #1 9.8 @ $2 & 32 watchers? I love Darkhawk but why this one particular seller/issue? hm

Would have been interesting to let that auction ride without saying anything, and seeing how it ended. But I bet when this gets down to the last minute, the auto-bids will start flying.

But, but aren't there about 250K of these out there in HG, buried in longboxes somewhere? ;)