• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

with that said, it is a good lesson for seller's not to be a slave to recent completed sales prices. someone needs to be the highest sale, why not you?
Because I don't sell books that look like that to unsophisticated buyers as a raw 9.8.

that's not what i am saying. put aside what you think that grade actually is. i see the spine ticks too and someone can make an informed decision. if you had a raw copy of that book you felt was a strong 9.8 candidate would you put it up for a $36 opening bid when that is practically what slabs are selling for? i'll give divad credit, he has cajones and sometimes it pays off.

I might if I was absolutely sure it was a 9.8. Frankly, I would probably call it a 9.6 or better. It's been discussed ad nauseam here, he overgrades on some of his ebay listings. That's not cajones. That is either an inability to grade 9.8s or it is deliberately taking advantage of buyers who can't grade for themselves.

You're the only thing ad nauseum around here. :sick: All you sell is manufactured plastic collectibles. You couldn't grade your way out the hole you live in. lol

Uh, no offense. :grin:

Next grading contest. You both enter and one comes out alive. :sumo:

I've already offered to select a number of divad's raw listings, have them sent to a neutral 3rd party and let CGC's grade be the judge of the results. I believe I offered to let the graded slabs be auctioned off for a charity of the winner's choice. He has declined.

In fairness, RMA thinks this is not a fair test to divad as (I believe this was the objection) divad has everything to lose and nothing to gain. But, when someone comes touting extraordinary results from selling UHG raw books on ebay, many of which appear to be overgraded, I feel no compulsion to remain silent. To divad's credit, he provides reasonably large scans. I just think people buying his overgraded books (some but not all of his offerings) can't grade, don't pay attention or don't care. That doesn't make them any less overgraded.

Divid has 100% positive feedback on eBay, and unless you have bought a comic advertised from him as a 9.8 and have been displeased, I think what you are proposing is unfair to Divad.

You're missing the point. No one is arguing his business model of selling UHG raw books. They're arguing about whether what he's calling UHG is really UHG. It pretty clear from several examples that he overgrades on occasion.

Books of divad's I've had issues with before. Overgrading and lying to people in descriptions. I can't be believe people still support him or give his raw auctions any credence whatsoever.

Man Who Laughs

Sandman 4

Divad overgrades and intentionally misleads buyer by claiming SSM #90 is the First Black Costume

Divad claims VOB book is a 9.9 in listing but doesn't get it slabbed.

with that said, it is a good lesson for seller's not to be a slave to recent completed sales prices. someone needs to be the highest sale, why not you?
Because I don't sell books that look like that to unsophisticated buyers as a raw 9.8.

that's not what i am saying. put aside what you think that grade actually is. i see the spine ticks too and someone can make an informed decision. if you had a raw copy of that book you felt was a strong 9.8 candidate would you put it up for a $36 opening bid when that is practically what slabs are selling for? i'll give divad credit, he has cajones and sometimes it pays off.

I might if I was absolutely sure it was a 9.8. Frankly, I would probably call it a 9.6 or better. It's been discussed ad nauseam here, he overgrades on some of his ebay listings. That's not cajones. That is either an inability to grade 9.8s or it is deliberately taking advantage of buyers who can't grade for themselves.

You're the only thing ad nauseum around here. :sick: All you sell is manufactured plastic collectibles. You couldn't grade your way out the hole you live in. lol

I've already offered to select a number of divad's raw listings, have them sent to a neutral 3rd party and let CGC's grade be the judge of the results. I believe I offered to let the graded slabs be auctioned off for a charity of the winner's choice. He has declined.

In fairness, RMA thinks this is not a fair test to divad as (I believe this was the objection) divad has everything to lose and nothing to gain. But, when someone comes touting extraordinary results from selling UHG raw books on ebay, many of which appear to be overgraded, I feel no compulsion to remain silent. To divad's credit, he provides reasonably large scans. I just think people buying his overgraded books (some but not all of his offerings) can't grade, don't pay attention or don't care. That doesn't make them any less overgraded.

:blahblah:

Divid has 100% positive feedback on eBay, and unless you have bought a comic advertised from him as a 9.8 and have been displeased, I think what you are proposing is unfair to Divad.

You're missing the point. No one is arguing his business model of selling UHG raw books. They're arguing about whether what he's calling UHG is really UHG. It pretty clear from several examples that he overgrades on occasion.

I don't doubt he does so on occasion but we all are guilty of that , occasionally.The question is if it is done intentionally in an effort to decieve.....but even then, if he has no unhappy buyers...and wants to continue to make good profits from HG listings, then he isn't going to push maliciously push the envelope.

I have seen both overgrading (and undergrading) from CGC and CBCS, as well.

As in, seen via eBay auctions and through submissions I received in return.

Like, I should have gotten a 9.8 back but I got a 9.6.And I should have gotten a 9.6 back but I got a 9.8.

Not even the top 2 grading firms are 100% consisten in their assesments.Grading, as precise as it is made out to be, is still a subjective art.

I don't doubt he does so on occasion but we all are guilty of that , occasionally.The question is if it is done intentionally in an effort to decieve.....but even then, if he has no unhappy buyers...and wants to continue to make good profits from HG listings, then he isn't going to push maliciously push the envelope.

Quoted for posterity.

Quoted for posterity.

Yeah. You may want to elaborate or explain that one better, CAK. Edited by Boboset

I have thousands of dollars worth of books that are all solid CGC 9.8 candidates, but I do not want to tie up $25.20 (modern grade fee + fast track minus my 10% membership discount) on having them graded and then selling them for an average of $100 when I get them back from CGC.Call it $30 per book in shipping/grading cost, at the least.

Multiply that $30 figure by 100 and that is how many books that I could package up and mail off to CGC for grading in a few days.And I'd still have likely another 100 books with GPA's around $100 but I'd rather spend the money on grading books to get bigger returns.I simply don't have the cash to have a 100 moderns graded, in a shot and then wait 2-3 months (from when the books were shipped to CGC) to be able to *start* to get any of my money back.

I recently gave Divad's 9.8 raw selling approach a test run and sold through all of the Preacher # 42 candidates which I graded as 9.8, save one of them(the last b/c I just didn't have time to ship it out and refunded the buyer instead).

I received positive feedback from all 4 buyers who received a raw Preacher 42 from me, which I graded as a 9.8.I will continue on listing raw boks that I have, which I don't want to spend money on having graded.......like Wolverine 66 (picked up a raw 9.6 and a raw 9.8 recently and I'll list them as such on eBay for $30-$50 each BIN))...Dark Horse Presents 1....same grades.

Preacher # 8...got a few of them, as well.And so on.

Two of the 4 buyers of the Preacher # 42 9.8 raws even sent me a message, after they gave me positive feedback on ebay, praising the raw preacher 42 9.8 they received from me and my packaging methods.

FTR, GPA shows the last Preacher 42 9.8 sale at around $100 via an auction listing on eBay.

Here is a copy of one of the messages, it clearly shows that the buyer will be subbing the book I sold to him and he is confident he'll get a 9.8 out of it.

Dear copperagekids,

Your packaging was outstanding. The comic arrived in perfect condition and is exactly like you said a "SOLID CGC 9.8 CANDIDATE". In 2 mylars with buffered acid free boards did not go unnoticed...on the contrary, it was the 1st thing I noticed and that put a smile on my face. This one will be sent to my cgc affiliate for signatures and grading.

The way you shipped it spoke volumes of your character, your professionalism, your dedication and respect toward this industry.

Just yesterday, another seller wrote saying that I was demanding, ridiculous, impatient and immature. I know he was wrong but still, it hurt.

I thoroughly enjoyed our transaction and have already added you to my best sellers list. Hope that the feedback I left for you adequately conveyed my appreciation and gratitude for all that you did.

Thank you very, very much, ed

Raw Grading above 9.6 you better be an expert. Not an arrogant I know better then others how to grade books, but an expert.

The examples Transplant gave are pretty conclusive. Do we all make mistakes? Sure, the difference is the self promotion and the ability to admit them when you do.

I don't have an ax to grind here, but when other sellers promote this philosophy as the way to go you are kidding yourself. To say nothing of the poor example or philosophy it gives to other newer sellers or buyers.

You build relationships with buyers over time. Squeezing every last dime out of them wont ensure return buyers and if you are not near perfect in your grading will lead to problems sooner or later.

Edited by Fastballspecial

RMA sighting!

:cloud9:

Or is that citing...?

hm

I don't disagree with anything you've said...he just doesn't have anything to gain from such an endeavor. If there was some potential reward for him, it might make it worth it.

Totally unrelated: after 6 years, I have taken you off ignore. Yeah, yeah, I know you took me off a few years ago, but...habit, ya know...? It was tradition.

Ah, Tranny....what would life be like without us....?

Sadder and more taciturn, that's for sure.

#FreeDivad

You guys act like he should be hanged and burned at the stake! This isn't Comic-Keys we are talking about here. If you don't like Divad's grading or any other seller's grading then don't buy from him, Blasting him on here and calling him out on every little thing he does is absurd. You guys aren't protecting the integrity of the comic book community, you're making it look bad. Shall we blast Superworld, Comiclink, Harley Yee and Greg Reese on here when we see them make a mistake or over grade a book on eBay? What makes Divad and different than any other comic seller on eBay? Favoritism?

#FreeDivad

You guys act like he should be hanged and burned at the stake! This isn't Comic-Keys we are talking about here. If you don't like Divad's grading or any other seller's grading then don't buy from him, Blasting him on here and calling him out on every little thing he does is absurd. You guys aren't protecting the integrity of the comic book community, you're making it look bad. Shall we blast Superworld, Comiclink, Harley Yee and Greg Reese on here when we see them make a mistake or over grade a book on eBay? What makes Divad and different than any other comic seller on eBay? Favoritism?

They don't post in this thread about their outlier sales of comics that are not heating up by any reasonable definition. He brings the scrutiny upon himself.

Why don't you just go count your money and continue not caring about comics?

#FreeDivad

They don't post in this thread about their outlier sales of comics that are not heating up by any reasonable definition. He brings the scrutiny upon himself.

Why don't you just go count your money and continue not caring about comics?

So just use the ignore button like I'm going to use on you!

Of course I care about comics, I care weather the book comes back a 9.6 or a 9.8, I can't make anything off of it if it comes back 9.6 ha

Totally unrelated: after 6 years, I have taken you off ignore. Yeah, yeah, I know you took me off a few years ago, but...habit, ya know...? It was tradition.

Ah, Tranny....what would life be like without us....?

Sadder and more taciturn, that's for sure.

I had to look up "taciturn" yesterday. :cry: