• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

So the creators clearly stating when Omega Red debuts doesn't do it for you?

No. Even the creative team made that clear.

th_Omega_Red005_zps52953318.jpg

And here is the sketch.

th_Omega_Red003_zpscf5e2375.jpg

But there is a cool poster that included Omega Red.

th_Omega_Red002_zps1ffab778.jpg

I do appreciate the info you have provided but no. Dan Slott came right out and said Superior Spider-Man's first appearance was in DD 21 and people still argue against that. In the case of Omega Red-What if 33, X-Men Annual 1 and X-Men 4 came out at the same time. Just because Omega Red's hand is on the cover of X-Men 4 does not mean that that issue should be considered the first appearance over the others. He appears in all three books in the same month. The case for What if 33 is a bit weaker than the rest only because we only see his head but even if one were to say that What if only holds a cameo and X-Men 4 should be considered the first appearance where does that leave the X-Men Annual 1? In that comic he is featured in full in his own panel.

What is most important is what you believe when collecting. Don't worry about convincing us.

But I did pull out a copy of my X-Men Annual #1, and see what you are talking about when it comes to the TWO Omega Red images in this comic. One is an image on the simulator screen while Wolverine talks about threats. The second is a sharp poster in the back of the comic.

But the common market leaning is towards X-Men #4 as Omega Red's 1st appearance. Meanwhile, I fan of the character should probably pick up all three books if that is their desire.

And here is the sketch.

[/quote

I do appreciate the info you have provided but no. Dan Slott came right out and said Superior Spider-Man's first appearance was in DD 21 and people still argue against that. In the case of Omega Red-What if 33, X-Men Annual 1 and X-Men 4 came out at the same time. Just because Omega Red's hand is on the cover of X-Men 4 does not mean that that issue should be considered the first appearance over the others. He appears in all three books in the same month. The case for What if 33 is a bit weaker than the rest only because we only see his head but even if one were to say that What if only holds a cameo and X-Men 4 should be considered the first appearance where does that leave the X-Men Annual 1? In that comic he is featured in full in his own panel.

No, it's the consensus of the fans that decide which books matter the most. Not creators or books or anything....

IMO it's pretty clear that XM4 is the winner here.

Here's an example that has been mentioned before-for a long time Mad Love was viewed as Harley Quinn's first comic appearance. That's what the consensus was and what the market said but it wasn't true. Personally I would go with that poster as the first until someone can produce an earlier image.

Don't you believe the actual truth to be more important than what a large group of people have told you true?

What sells for more, is more in demand has little to do with "the truth" I thought we were discussing which comic had legs, and would be desired by collectors.

What sells for more, is more in demand has little to do with "the truth." I thought we were discussing which comic had legs, and would be desired by collectors.

Cue up IH 180-181 references...

-slym

BUT Hulk 180 is gaining at a steady pace especially lately,. Sure it's still 50% of more less then 181 but it isn't junk like 182 ;-)

James G

And here is the sketch.

[/quote

No, it's the consensus of the fans that decide which books matter the most. Not creators or books or anything....

IMO it's pretty clear that XM4 is the winner here.

Here's an example that has been mentioned before-for a long time Mad Love was viewed as Harley Quinn's first comic appearance. That's what the consensus was and what the market said but it wasn't true. Personally I would go with that poster as the first until someone can produce an earlier image.

Don't you believe the actual truth to be more important than what a large group of people have told you true?

What sells for more, is more in demand has little to do with "the truth" I thought we were discussing which comic had legs, and would be desired by collectors.

Just his face appears in the X-Men Annual right?

That is not a real appearance 2c

Just his face appears in the X-Men Annual right?

That is not a real appearance 2c

his face appears in What if 33

Full panel in the X-Men Annual, ( I'm going to pull the book out of the collection and make sure )

:bump:

I already noted what is in X-Men Annual #1.

What is most important is what you believe when collecting. Don't worry about convincing us.

But I did pull out a copy of my X-Men Annual #1, and see what you are talking about when it comes to the TWO Omega Red images in this comic. One is an image on the simulator screen while Wolverine talks about threats. The second is a sharp poster in the back of the comic.

But the common market leaning is towards X-Men #4 as Omega Red's 1st appearance. Meanwhile, a fan of the character should probably pick up all three books if that is their desire.

The first is in the simulator as part of the backup story "X-Men's Top Ten Villains" drawn by Karl Altstaetter. Omega Red was listed as #5, right behind Apocalypse. So does that mean they had already fought (e.g. X-Men #4)?

th_Omega_Red008_zpsd338b982.jpg

Then, there is a Mutant Masterwork poster by Tom Raney that I really like.

th_Omega_Red006_zps37f4fba6.jpg

The CGC label on X-Men 4 says "1st appearance of Omega Red"

Works for me.

So are we now saying that CGC doesn't make mistakes?

I agree that 4 will be considered his first but so should The Annual and possibly the What if

The CGC label on X-Men 4 says "1st appearance of Omega Red"

Works for me.

So are we now saying that CGC doesn't make mistakes?

I agree that 4 will be considered his first but so should The Annual and possibly the What if

Now that I went back and read what was in Annual #1, I have to disagree.

The first is in the simulator as part of the backup story "X-Men's Top Ten Villains" drawn by Karl Altstaetter. Omega Red was listed as #5, right behind Apocalypse. So does that mean they had already fought (e.g. X-Men #4)?

Wolverine had no idea who Omega Red was until X-Men #4, when he picked up his scent and realized it was Arkady Rossovich, someone he knew from this past. So in Annual #1 where he now discusses Omega Red, this would have to be after-the-fact because beforehand he didn't even know the character.

See what I mean?