• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #700

316 posts in this topic

I've noticed a lot of these types of listings on eBay lately, where they're offering the Ditko variant along with whole whack of 2nd print 700s.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDERMAN-700-DITKO-VARIANT-LOT-OF-150-2ND-PRINT-VARIANTS-WORLDWIDE-/251209586381?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a7d4216cd

In this case, they're giving 150 copies (at $4 a book, that comes out to $600) with the Ditko for $1700. That's not a bad deal considering a raw Ditko went for as high as $1600 recently.

Are we starting to see the downslope of the book?

K.

On the fence about paying to slab one of these. Has there been a concensus on what CGC is going to do with the universal (or it seems) bindery tears on these books?

Will this downgrade one or will it be considered a print defect for the purposes of grading?

Just would like to know before i drop the $18 bucks

On the fence about paying to slab one of these. Has there been a concensus on what CGC is going to do with the universal (or it seems) bindery tears on these books?

Will this downgrade one or will it be considered a print defect for the purposes of grading?

Just would like to know before i drop the $18 bucks

We'll see soon. I guarantee we'll see a hoard of these on eBay cgc'd. Either we'll see a bunch of 9.8s or 9.6s

Okay, better informed collectors, what's the deal with this cover:

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_700_Rubinstein_Variant_Textless.jpg

CLZ Comics (my collection database I use)has it listed as #700B "Joe Rubinstein 50th Anniversary Variant Cover"

Soooooooooooooooooooo, did this one not make it to the printer?

EDIT: I spoiler'd it because the image is so large.

CLZ Comics (my collection database I use)has it listed as #700B "Joe Rubinstein 50th Anniversary Variant Cover"

I'd buy it and I'm not a variant hunter

That's what amazes me. How many of those 1:200 covers were printed?

100? 300? 3,000?

Well 250,000 copies were sold so that would make it around 1250. But Marvel says they have a couple extras laying around and are sending them with every shop that orders 250 of the second printings so I'd guess roughly 1500 of them printed

That's what amazes me. How many of those 1:200 covers were printed?

100? 300? 3,000?

Well 250,000 copies were sold so that would make it around 1250. But Marvel says they have a couple extras laying around and are sending them with every shop that orders 250 of the second printings so I'd guess roughly 1500 of them printed

probably a little lower than that.

Axel A said they were near 250k total copies of issue #700 printed. Which means he's counting variants.

So if the print runs were:

Regular cover: 200,000 copies

Martin Variant (Diner)

Martin Variant (Names)

Coipel Variant

Ramos Variant

Quesada Wrap (1:100) = 2000 copies

Quesada Wrap Sketch (1:150) 1333 copies

Ditko Variant (1:200) = 1000 copies

The Variant's werent direct ratio runs (at least from what I can tell) but you can see if there were 200k base books that totals up to 244,333 just counting the Regular+the Quesada and Ditko variants, so that tells me the print run was under 200k for the base book (based on Axel's comment, which could have actually been an inflated PR number anyway)

So Im guessing there's under 1000 of the Ditko variant covers. My theory about the "extra" copies wasnt that there were more printed than the ratio, but that there were not enough orders of the Ditko variant (or enough eligible orders) so there were some "leftovers"

Remember to get the Ditko you had to order 200 copies. So If your tiny store only ordered 100, and the next tiny story only ordered 100 neither store would be able to order the Ditko variant, but the total of the 200 books ordered would result in an additional copy of the Ditko variant issue printed, but not shipped out. Thus the "extras" available.

The other factor is that I have no idea what the print run math factors are. Some printers (based on how the paper sheets are sized/available) can print 1000 copies for virtually the same price as 950 copies, so they may have "upped" the print run to whatever the natural cutoff point is for the printing process. That may have also resulted in some of the "extra" copies.

Then Marvel may have included some comp copies, office copies, etc...in their original print order and now those are being made available too in an effort to pump up the 2nd printing orders.

I flipped back through this thread and I may have missed it but has anyone brought up the 91 SS 9.8 ditko variants on the census? With 102 total graded SS copies that is about 100 more copies than any of the other covers. Were these a promotion that went straight to CGC?

http://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Amazing+Spider%2DMan&publisher=Marvel+Comics&issue=700&year=2013&issuedate=2%2F13

Joe Rubenstein had this to say: ""Hey guys, IT'S NOT REAL! It s a commssioned figure I did for a collector several years ago."