• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just read Superior Spider-Man 1...

149 posts in this topic

I just want to buy the comic book,read it, and not have to worry about hunting down and paying extra money for variant covers.

Who is making you buy the variants? Society?

OCD, which is why Marvel, DC and the other comic companies make these idiotic fake-variants. It's truly sad, just like all those poor people paying money on fremium iOS games - they just can't help being suckers.

So Marvel and DC are responsible for collectors' lack of self control? There's a simple solution to eliminating unwanted commodities: Don't buy them.

OCD is a real disease, just like alcoholism and drug addiction, so would you tell a heroin addict to "just don't buy them" when he's in the throes of withdrawal? doh!

It's just kind of sad that Marvel and DC are joining the likes of the alcohol and cigarette manufacturers.

Yikes. This is the analogy you want to go with?

Far better than your play of "blame the victim" and laugh off OCD as fiction.

and I quote:

So Marvel and DC are responsible for collectors' lack of self control?

So the converse is what? Marvel and DC ARE responsible for your buying habits? Lack of accountability for one's own actions is a weird position to defend. But okay, fine. I'll be there on the picket line with you.

MARVEL AND DC

EXPLOITED ME

TOO MANY VARIANTS

If you have complete run to 700,you know they will put the damn Superior thing back to Amazing Spider-Man like at 750.Then I'll have to get all the back issues. doh!

I used to think the same way, but this is the last straw for me. I'm tired of the gimmicks, I'm tired of the renumbering over and over again, I'm tired of lazy storytelling, and I'm tired of paying more and more for new issues and getting less and less enjoyment out of it (this rant can be cut and pasted for any number of other Marvel/DC books over the last couple of years). I mean, for the price it cost me to get ASM 698-700, I could have ordered any of the Amazing Spider-Man Essential editions (if I didn't have them already) and gotten almost 20X the story material with something I actually enjoy reading.

I thought that sticking with the title through embarrassments like OMD and Sins Past meant I'd keep getting the title no matter what -- but enough just feels like enough. A few issues are left for me to finish a complete ASM run from 1-700 -- that's going to matter a lot more to me than anything that I could go back and get afterward,

My pet peeve is there is way too many variant covers. It`s not just Marvel and DC,as the independents like Image and Dynamite are making even more variants.

I just want to buy the comic book,read it, and not have to worry about hunting down and paying extra money for variant covers.

The ASM Ditko 700 variant cover is already going for over $500 on EBay!

ASM #700 VARIANT DITKO COVER= BIG BUCKS ON EBAY

OCT120627.jpg

No disrespect, but what is stopping you doing what you want to. Why can't you just buy the regular cover and read it. If you don't like variants, why do you have to 'worry' about buying them?

if you don't like something, don't engage in it. leave it to those who do enjoy it.

Because back in the day to be considered worthy you had to be real good and iconic(Detective 27, AF 15, Avengers 1,Uncanny X-men 94, and TMNT #1), but now they just print an extra different cover or two for artificial worth.

They are manufacturing collectibles.

Next they will just print super duper comics with a print runs of only 10,then we will see how much people will enjoy collecting comic books with low print runs like that!

hm

Okay, but I still don't get your argument, there is a perfectly good regular cover you can buy to read and put in your collection.

Why should the rest of us not be able to buy what we want because you (or a hypothetical 'other' person, if that is what you are talking about.) can't control your/their compulsions.

And if we are seriously getting into comparing this to heroin addiction, I just have to :facepalm:

OCD, which is why Marvel, DC and the other comic companies make these idiotic fake-variants. It's truly sad, just like all those poor people paying money on fremium iOS games - they just can't help being suckers.

So Marvel and DC are responsible for collectors' lack of self control? There's a simple solution to eliminating unwanted commodities: Don't buy them.

OCD is a real disease, just like alcoholism and drug addiction, so would you tell a heroin addict to "just don't buy them" when he's in the throes of withdrawal? doh!

It's just kind of sad that Marvel and DC are joining the likes of the alcohol and cigarette manufacturers.

and I quote:

So the converse is what? Marvel and DC ARE responsible for your buying habits? Lack of accountability for one's own actions is a weird position to defend. But okay, fine. I'll be there on the picket line with you.

MARVEL AND DC

EXPLOITED ME

TOO MANY VARIANTS

Marvel,Image and DC are loving the comic collectors who keep buying the variants over and over again,as that means more money in their pocket,and they don`t have to worry about making good comic book stories.

All these variant covers have made the comic book industry lazy,as before it was about putting out the best comic book stories to keep and get new readers,while now it`s just who cares about good comic book stories,as we will just publish a few different cover variants for them to buy.

If we print it

they will buy it.

;)

What`s going on with these variant covers is far worse than what happened in the 1990s.

Far worse!

My OCD will keep me buying the series. :sorry: I am so close to a complete run, I can't stop now. Could give a rat's arse about variants though...

I understand what you are saying - I have ASM 2–700...

I just don't count Superior as part of that, even though I am sure

when ASM returns it will count these issues within the continuity.

and I quote:

Of course it's not a fiction, but if that is the issue, those affected should seek help.

But because of this tiny minority of people, the majority shouldn't be able to buy them?

Do we ban glue because there are glue sniffers? Where do you stand on gun control?

I call logic fail.

If you have complete run to 700,you know they will put the damn Superior thing back to Amazing Spider-Man like at 750.Then I'll have to get all the back issues. doh!

I used to think the same way, but this is the last straw for me. I'm tired of the gimmicks, I'm tired of the renumbering over and over again, I'm tired of lazy storytelling, and I'm tired of paying more and more for new issues and getting less and less enjoyment out of it (this rant can be cut and pasted for any number of other Marvel/DC books over the last couple of years). I mean, for the price it cost me to get ASM 698-700, I could have ordered any of the Amazing Spider-Man Essential editions (if I didn't have them already) and gotten almost 20X the story material with something I actually enjoy reading.

I thought that sticking with the title through embarrassments like OMD and Sins Past meant I'd keep getting the title no matter what -- but enough just feels like enough. A few issues are left for me to finish a complete ASM run from 1-700 -- that's going to matter a lot more to me than anything that I could go back and get afterward,

My pet peeve is there is way too many variant covers. It`s not just Marvel and DC,as the independents like Image and Dynamite are making even more variants.

The ASM Ditko 700 variant cover is already going for over $500 on EBay!

ASM #700 VARIANT DITKO COVER= BIG BUCKS ON EBAY

OCT120627.jpg

No disrespect, but what is stopping you doing what you want to. Why can't you just buy the regular cover and read it. If you don't like variants, why do you have to 'worry' about buying them?

if you don't like something, don't engage in it. leave it to those who do enjoy it.

Because back in the day to be considered worthy you had to be real good and iconic(Detective 27, AF 15, Avengers 1,Uncanny X-men 94, and TMNT #1), but now they just print an extra different cover or two for artificial worth.

They are manufacturing collectibles.

Next they will just print super duper comics with a print runs of only 10,then we will see how much people will enjoy collecting comic books with low print runs like that!

hm

Okay, but I still don't get your argument, there is a perfectly good regular cover you can buy to read and put in your collection.

Why should the rest of us not be able to buy what we want because you (or a hypothetical 'other' person, if that is what you are talking about.) can't control your/their compulsions.

You can buy what you want,but don`t expect any sympathy from us when your selling these variants, and the even more worthless regular covers for much less then what you paid for them.

If your buying these variant covers over and over again you are just feeding the monster,so don`t be surprised that in a few years that the majority of comic book fans will be reading their comic books on digital devices,as this variant greed will be one of the key factors as to why most true comic books fans will drop the print comics for the digital versions.

:preach:

FWIW, I don't dislike all variant covers. I own a number of them myself. Done in moderation, they can enhance the experience of collecting. In my case, I drew the line at owning every variant a long time ago, so I don't feel angry because of some need to own every available cover. My anger goes to something different.

If all variants were made available in equal quantities with equal initial price tags (and with retailers being able to order whatever quantity of whatever cover they wanted), then we likely wouldn't be talking about any pushback from collectors (or non-collectors) about multiple covers. But that's almost never the reality. Comic companies are trying to create value artificially by putting out all of these 1 in100, 1 in150, etc. variants -- just like they're artificially trying to create value with gimmick after gimmick (#1 issues, event miniseries, killing off characters for shock value). None of those bring in new comic readers into our hobby -- they're only designed to pull money from an already dwindling consumer base. And if someone does get suckered into our hobby by one of these gimmicks -- like someone who never bought comics, read the hype of "killing" Spider-Man, and then dropped a small fortune on an ASM variant on Ebay only to watch when it's worth 1/10 of what he paid a year from now -- well, I'm thinking they won't be hanging around our hobby for very long.

I don't begrudge the person who wants variants (as I said, I've bought them before) or even the person who collects all of them. But over-relying on gimmicks like variants are to to the comic hobby what reality TV is now to television -- quick money makers that aren't doing anything to grow the medium, lead to creative bankruptcy, and eventually may contribute to the downfall of the industry. That's what worries me. Anyone who still wants to see comics put out 20 years from now should be worried about the same, IMO.

I don't think there's anyone who doesn't think that Peter is coming back + coming back soon. It's just that I'm sick of these contrived marketing ploys to sell more books through horrible, lazy writing. Its "Death of Superman" all over again and I'm not buying it. Its so transparent that its insulting, another big eff you to the core fans that have been there for years. I'll spend my money + time elsewhere thank you.

FWIW, I don't dislike all variant covers. I own a number of them myself. Done in moderation, they can enhance the experience of collecting. In my case, I drew the line at owning every variant a long time ago, so I don't feel angry because of some need to own every available cover. My anger goes to something different.

If all variants were made available in equal quantities with equal initial price tags (and with retailers being able to order whatever quantity of whatever cover they wanted), then we likely wouldn't be talking about any pushback from collectors (or non-collectors) about multiple covers. But that's almost never the reality. Comic companies are trying to create value artificially by putting out all of these 1 in100, 1 in150, etc. variants -- just like they're artificially trying to create value with gimmick after gimmick (#1 issues, event miniseries, killing off characters for shock value). None of those bring in new comic readers into our hobby -- they're only designed to pull money from an already dwindling consumer base. And if someone does get suckered into our hobby by one of these gimmicks -- like someone who never bought comics, read the hype of "killing" Spider-Man, and then dropped a small fortune on an ASM variant on Ebay only to watch when it's worth 1/10 of what he paid a year from now -- well, I'm thinking they won't be hanging around our hobby for very long.

I don't begrudge the person who wants variants (as I said, I've bought them before) or even the person who collects all of them. But over-relying on gimmicks like variants are to to the comic hobby what reality TV is now to television -- quick money makers that aren't doing anything to grow the medium, lead to creative bankruptcy, and eventually may contribute to the downfall of the industry. That's what worries me. Anyone who still wants to see comics put out 20 years from now should be worried about the same, IMO.

This I agree with. I like some variants, I buy some variants but nowhere near all. I won't pay (much) of a premium, and like all my comics, i'm not worried about reselling them or making huge gains on them - it's just good fun.

I have no time for the 'compulsion' argument is all.

I have a great idea for Marvel and DC to rake in tons of cash without all these variants!

WRITE A GOOD STORY WITH GREAT ART!

I don't think there's anyone who doesn't think that Peter is coming back + coming back soon. It's just that I'm sick of these contrived marketing ploys to sell more books through horrible, lazy writing. Its "Death of Superman" all over again and I'm not buying it. Its so transparent that its insulting, another big eff you to the core fans that have been there for years. I'll spend my money + time elsewhere thank you.

I have a great idea for Marvel and DC to rake in tons of cash without all these variants!

+1

hm How well did Scalped sell?

My OCD will keep me buying the series. :sorry: I am so close to a complete run, I can't stop now. Could give a rat's arse about variants though...

I understand what you are saying - I have ASM 2–700...

I just don't count Superior as part of that, even though I am sure

when ASM returns it will count these issues within the continuity.

Hopefully it will be considered a new series and then they will just re-start the numbering when they bring it back.

For me it's just another title I need to collect in the Spider-man titles. I have full runs of almost all the main titles produced :ohnoez:

Amazing Fantasy #15

Amazing Spiderman - 2-4, 6, 7, 9-11, 13, 19-22

Annuals - 1,2

Specials - 3, 4

Marvel Tales - 1, 5, 6, 12-14, 17-24, 26,27, 29-33, 35-37, 40-49, 52, 53, 58, 59, 61, 62, 64-67, 114-166, 168-225, 227, 229, 231-236, 240-262, 264-278, 280, 281, 283-285, 287-291

Spiderman 2099 - 4-18, 20-22, 24-46 Special #1

Webspinners Tales of Spider-Man - 2,3,5-14, 16-18

Spiderman Unlimited V2 - 1-5

Spiderman Unlimited V3 - 1-15

Marvel Team-up V1 - complete

Marvel Team-up V4 - complete

Untold Tales of Spider-Man - complete

Avenging Spiderman - complete (new - ongoing)

Spiderman - complete

Sensational Spiderman V1 - complete

Sensational Spiderman V2 - complete

Spectacular Spiderman V1 - complete

Spectacular Spiderman V2 - complete

Peter Parker Spiderman - complete

Ultimate Spiderman - complete

Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman - complete

Web of Spiderman - complete

Spiderman Team-up V2 - complete

Spiderman Unlimited V1 - complete

Marvel Team-up V3 - complete

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up - complete

Marvel Knights Spiderman - complete

Spider-Man Tangled Web - complete

lol yes I'm obsessed.

What's on the last page for those of us who have absolutely no intention of buying it?

The real Peter is still inside Doc Ocks head and stops him killing one of the Sinister Six and then vows to return as Spider-Man somehow.

What I find the most entertaining about the spoiler above is that everyone called it before it was even published. I lost count of how many discussions I read here and across the internet that this would be the outcome. So then, what's the point? Why even do if when we all know how it's going to end AND we are proved right in the first issue? I just don't see anything to be gained for the character. Other than maybe a new writer when everyone stops buying the title?