• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F+W ANNOUNCES CLOSURE OF COMICS BUYER’S GUIDE

36 posts in this topic

The death knell was when they went monthly. With the advent of the Internet, the news was old and useless.

I was a subscriber since TBG #10 and quit about 3 years ago. I miss all the ads and bought most of my collection from there and RBCC.

At least we have the CGC Boards. :)

The death knell was when they went monthly. With the advent of the Internet, the news was old and useless.

I was a subscriber since TBG #10 and quit about 3 years ago. I miss all the ads and bought most of my collection from there and RBCC.

At least we have the CGC Boards. :)

I agree, but in more general terms, I'm also of the opinion that the argument of print being static as far as pricing data is a little overstated.

I have used some of the best software available, and even devised my own tracking systems to gauge past sales in real-time, and there is NEVER any guarantee that what happened yesterday in an auction, consignment or dealer site will repeat today, tomorrow or next month. Sometimes a price suggestion in a printed guide can help get the conversation going, and I collect in hobbies absent of this type of "official" reference and it can be SO frustrating to get a conversation started, much less a deal done.

The Company cited "general poor market conditions and forces working against the title’s sustainability including the downturn in print advertising and the proliferation of free content available online for this highly specialized industry. "

but yet they keep multiple coin and sports collectible magazines running.

Why don`t they cancel one of those,and leave the iconic CBG to continue?

hm

I started my subscription back when it was TBG, and was bi-weekly. The market and the hobby has changed so much since then. Back then, you'd find an ad, list the books you wanted, then list almost as many alternates, sit back and wait six to eight weeks to see what you'd end up with.

Lots of good memories, but it jumped the shark years ago.

I'm sorry to see the publication end... although it seems like it was inevitable.

After many years, I finally terminated my subscription about a year ago, but I think I still receive the magazine.

I cancelled my subscription about four years ago, as it was a chore to try to read that thing. The grading guide was not useful and the comic strips were not witty and the articles were bland. There was no coverage on the many conventions or auctions that were taking place. No notable sales either.

Chuck Rozanski stopped writing for them and so did Mark Evanier. Mind you, I do not agree with what they believe in, but they are good writers. Also, Michelle Nolan rarely wrote for them.

The sister publication (Antique Trader) is much better. I'm surprised they didn't try to copy their formula for success. I think is a portion of the fault lies in the poor direction and leadership of the CBG magazine.

:cry:

Not a lot of useful info but I kept my subscription up because it was dirt cheap and made good bathroom reading. I bought tons of comics from ads in the original tabloid version back in the early 1980's and sold my original collection in college with a couple of ads I placed. Inevitable, but sad!

I cancelled my subscription about 5 years ago, not so much because of the decline in quality but a lot of the issues never made it to my door. I would still occasionally pick it up if I saw it on a magazine rack, despite the page count getting smaller with each issue. The core contributors were really labouring to keep it going, and I really felt for them, but closing up shop was the best thing in my opinion. I raise my glass to them for all their contributions.