• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

This is unreal:

ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif

ibp2LYnmQJjEkC.gif

Is this actual gameplay or cinematic?

If it is gameplay, I wonder if game makers would continue to develop games with such a high level of graphics and how that would impact individual game costs

Pretty cool graphics, but I think diminishing returns are starting to kick in. Are those clips really THAT much better than what we have already seen from Skyrim?

...and don't count out Nintendo. They make easily accessible, very fun games that appeal to a broad audience. There are multiple reasons why the Wii killed both PS3 and X-Box in console sales, despite markedly inferior graphics and a lack of HD capability. It's easy to lose sight of what the general public wants out of a system, especially when you are a hard-core RPG/shooter type gamer (like COI).

Nintendo is fine, but I think they are aiming for a different audience. People who don't know what RAM is :gossip:

We ain't seen nothing yet. People's eyes will tell them what RAM is.

Isn't Ram what you do to your significant other at night?

CAN'T WAIT!

I dont think I'll care for much else from the PS3 from now until PS4 time.

Even GTA seems so.... meh at this point. Don't think I'll waste my time or money on GTA in sept if a PS4 is around the corner.

Are those clips really THAT much better than what we have already seen from Skyrim?

They are. There's no comparison in terms of detail and raw power. It's hard to appreciate from a gif or even an HD screenshot. Skyrim has beautiful art direction and is a technical marvel for this generation of consoles, but Skyrim falls apart when you start looking at things up close. It's not even close to being the nicest looking game on the PS3. Also, you have to consider that Skyrim came out 5 years into the console life cycle, while these first glimpses of gameplay for the PS4 are probably not even 50% of what the system, with its insane specs, will be capable of 5 years from now.

That being said, you definitely make a valid point. It remains to be seen what this is gonna cost, both to the consumer and to developers, and whether or not that cost will be worthwhile. I can tell you this; give an open-world developer like Bethesda or Rockstar these kinds of specs to work with, and the kind of living, breathing worlds they will be able to craft will be absolutely mind-blowing. Even if we only get a handful of these experiences per generation (think Skyrim, Fallout, GTA, Red Dead Redemption), I think it's worth it.

..and don't count out Nintendo. They make easily accessible, very fun games that appeal to a broad audience. There are multiple reasons why the Wii killed both PS3 and X-Box in console sales, despite markedly inferior graphics and a lack of HD capability. It's easy to lose sight of what the general public wants out of a system, especially when you are a hard-core RPG/shooter type gamer (like COI).

Nintendo had perfect storm conditions when they launched the Wii. I really don't want Nintendo's consoles to fail, regardless of the fact that I'm not a Mario or Zelda fan, but Nintendo is in very real trouble right now. I'm not counting them out yet, but they really need to bring it on the software front, or the Wii-U will be a disaster. And software is the precise place where they failed this gen, but that failure was offset by monstrous sales to a wide demographic who no longer cares and have moved on to tablets and smart phones for entertainment.

There's cause for concern there I would agree. 3ds isn't killing it, wii-u I barely hear about, in the same way that both the ds and the wii did well, it seems that neither of their products this gen is doing as well.

They do need to kick some butt pronto with software, agreed.

This has to ultimately be a less successful cycle for them. The real question is what will they do after this, for the next gen? If they can't bank on the casual gamer and they aren't competing for the hardcores then what will their market be in five years? I would have very much had the same questions in the n64/gamecube era and they knocked it out of the park with wii. They'll need something innovative next cycle that captures the imagination and lots of great software until then to stop the bleeding. Although, last I checked they had a ridiculously healthy balance sheet, but I'm sure its taken a bit of a beating the last year or two.

This has to ultimately be a less successful cycle for them. The real question is what will they do after this, for the next gen? If they can't bank on the casual gamer and they aren't competing for the hardcores then what will their market be in five years? I would have very much had the same questions in the n64/gamecube era and they knocked it out of the park with wii. They'll need something innovative next cycle that captures the imagination and lots of great software until then to stop the bleeding. Although, last I checked they had a ridiculously healthy balance sheet, but I'm sure its taken a bit of a beating the last year or two.

Nintendo got to be Nintendo because of games; because of their superb first-party games, and because of good relationships with third-parties. They've lost sight of that. Everyone praises the Wii because of its incredible sales and innovative controls; the fact is, the games for that system sucked. There were maybe a dozen titles that made good use of those controls (Wii sports and first-party mainly), and that's it. Game for game, the Wii's library is the biggest pile of shovelware I've ever seen for any console library, and that's not something to be proud of, regardless of how many Wiis were sold. Now they don't have that ligntning-in-a-bottle gimmick to rely on, and they're getting crushed. It isn't that the company is in danger, as they're sitting on massive stacks, but more that they're becoming increasingly irrelevant in the console wars. 2 or 3 generations of this, and they're going to end up like Sega.

Nintendo got to be Nintendo because of games; because of their superb first-party games, and because of good relationships with third-parties. They've lost sight of that. Everyone praises the Wii because of its incredible sales and innovative controls; the fact is, the games for that system sucked. There were maybe a dozen titles that made good use of those controls (Wii sports and first-party mainly), and that's it. Game for game, the Wii's library is the biggest pile of shovelware I've ever seen for any console library, and that's not something to be proud of, regardless of how many Wiis were sold. Now they don't have that ligntning-in-a-bottle gimmick to rely on, and they're getting crushed. It isn't that the company is in danger, as they're sitting on massive stacks, but more that they're becoming increasingly irrelevant in the console wars. 2 or 3 generations of this, and they're going to end up like Sega.

I really don't want Nintendo to fail.

If it wasn't for them,we wouldn't have gotten Playstation systems or X-Box.

They brought video games back from the dead after the crash in '83.

I really doubt that Nintendo will ever vanish, but they may end up becoming strictly publishers, or they may end up entering some other space where they sell some sort of tablet/console hybrid to a different audience. But in terms of sharing a market with Microsoft and Sony, they're just not playing that game, at least as of right now. The Wii-U is about 4-5 years too late.

I really doubt that Nintendo will ever vanish, but they may end up becoming strictly publishers, or they may end up entering some other space where they sell some sort of tablet/console hybrid to a different audience. But in terms of sharing a market with Microsoft and Sony, they're just not playing that game, at least as of right now. The Wii-U is about 4-5 years too late.
Sad but true.

While I have a PS3,for handheld I prefer the 3DS.

I'm still waiting for Aminal Crossing & Pokeman Y/X for 3DS :taptaptap:

Well we will see. Even this unsuccessful cycle for them will still at least break even when its all said and done. I agree that a few generations of this would be bad; that was my point too but theyve kept it going for almost thirty years by always finding a fresh approach; can they continue to do that?

[font:Book Antiqua]Hello guys...

Been really busy the last couple of days,

so I really could not keep with the news.

Looking forward to the PS4.

But so far the only thing I could found is:

• No new platform (So far)

• No asking price

• No date for release

• A bunch of cinematic from many companies

• All the previous games available for download (for a price of course)

Is only this? Or I am missing something...?[/font]

(shrug)

First I apologize for this post in advanced if I happen to offend anyone, but I was just letting the gaming community know that I pre-ordered a few strategy guides and have put them up for sale over in the Mixed age forums. Now back to you're regularly scheduled gaming activity :angel:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6429301#Post6429301

Edited by Dimebag_D

Okay. I've never been a fan of cheap Chinese Android devices, but this thing has me intrigued

http://www.jxd.hk/products.asp?id=627&selectclassid=009006

I've watched some Youtube vids, seen some reviews, and it seems pretty cool. It can be found for about $140 online too. Thinking of getting it.

I installed the 1TB Hard Drive last night.

I was suprised at how easy it was to get everything installed and re-updated.

It helped that I had YouTube videos to watch on how to install HD and how to back up your stuff.

put a 500gb some time ago and I still have 300gb left with at least over 100 download games

I installed the 1TB Hard Drive last night.

I was suprised at how easy it was to get everything installed and re-updated.

It helped that I had YouTube videos to watch on how to install HD and how to back up your stuff.

put a 500gb some time ago and I still have 300gb left with at least over 100 download games
Nice :)