• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

The "actually read the book" part is not a jab at anyone on these boards--but when folks just tend to judge a book based on sales, or perceive a drop because it's not the cool #1 of the week--that is just irritating ;).

What's this reading you speak of?

Frank...here's our ultimatum: if you don't come out with a 3-D scratch n' sniff platinum foil variant....we're ALL jumping ship.....we simply don't care about content....just glitz and pretty shiny things we can flip. :)

Crack the whip on Chris and start the printing presses :wink:

The "actually read the book" part is not a jab at anyone on these boards--but when folks just tend to judge a book based on sales, or perceive a drop because it's not the cool #1 of the week--that is just irritating ;).

I couldn't agree more.

Sadly there is that element that seems to be a hopefully small minority that ONLY looks at the sales of the books to judge whether it is 'good' or not.

What's this reading you speak of?

Hahahahahahaha . I can't imagine why someone would spend money on a book and not read it unless it was encased in an impenetrable plastic fortress lol

I think we all have hope that all of our comics end up being worth about a gazillion dollars or so but we aren't the only people liking your books.

http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/image-comics/five-ghosts-the-haunting-of-fabian-gray

Pretty nice compliments all the way around. By the way, I think your book is way underrated and I believe the demand for it will grow. You and Chris are putting out to quality stuff. 2c

I've been nothing but thrilled with the response, and it allows us to sustain and keep making the book...but there's no way we'll pull Hickman or Vaughan numbers, so when people point those books out it's kind of laughable.

Vaughn's best book IMHO was Ex Machina although I like almost everything he's done. That book didn't put up crazy numbers either. I don't think Superman Unchained is the greatest book ever done and it's putting up giant numbers. There is little correlation between quality and quantity.

Put your big boy pants on if you're going to step into the octagon...cause IMHO I couldn't have stolen that any easier with a loaded gun:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Five-Ghosts-1-2-3-4-5-SDCC-Variant-Set-w-Envelope-NM-MINT-Limited-to-50-Image-/251340310345?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=zPLP3EqfTd31tY7p4il2HVtv898%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

There's 50 of these folks....just 50. I would've dropped a bid twice as high without blinking. Upon looking into my crystal ball I see the future is bright for this title and the guys behind the red curtain....so I feel confident this little piece of history was worth every penny and quite a bit more. Someday these are going to show up at Kneel to Zod prices (in fact they already have elsewhere) and there'll be alot of heads shaking remorsefully they didn't pull the trigger at the low end.

Crime of the century and not one witness....unless you count the Detective. :wink:

mswF5wptLC_rxBkLsD0nCsw.jpg

Haven't been around much, but that seller is a boardie. I would have jumped on that as well. Nice grab!

Keep up the great writing Frank!

How about the regular #1? Any chance of it selling above $10?

You mean like the five #1s this seller blew out 4 days ago at best offer with a $12.99 listing and $3.00 shipping?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Five-Ghosts-Haunting-Of-Fabian-Gray-1-Frank-Barbiere-Chris-Mooneyham-1st-print-/380617903869?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item589e984efd

I wish this was the norm but I am seeing lots of sold prices at way below what you posted.

This is something I don't quite get.

There is a lot of people reading and liking this series (myself included)

There isn't a lot of hoarding like EoW.

Print run has been healthy.

So, shouldn't we see a healthy growth in secondary prices, rather than this dip that we are seeing?

Maybe it is the 3D covers hm

3D Covers are the flavor of the month....and they are putting a monkey wrench into multiple overlooked auctions.

We're still knee deep into con season and folks are shuffling their $ in that direction as well.

There's an overall dip that's been experienced since the start of the cons...and it won't bounce completely until after they're done....but we are actually starting to see that trend begin.

In spite of the fact that more than a few folks were well aware that this 'mini' was going to be an ongoing....I'm sure that fact has escaped the unwashed masses. It'll take the reappearance and continued development of the series to bring more attention to bear.

Of course a healthy injection of speculation ala movies, t.v., animation, etc. can always seem to stimulate even the most dormant of titles out of obscurity....

But that said, this title has a core base of fans that appreciate it for all the right reasons: the story, the art and the responsiveness to those fans. How many artists and writers have a 10,000 foot view of their product and never become approachable? Here you've got Frank and Chris spoon feeding you goodies galore and they actually take into consideration what we're hungering for.

The SDCC is a brilliant example of that. Super-ultra-hyper-extreme limited exclusives. They also appear to be postured to continue the story using a small hiatus to launch the new arc...as opposed to some other notorious titles that started out fantastically and then ground to a halt...utterly ignoring the fan base. All signs point to win.

Even without the 3D scratch n' sniff variant, I'm in for the ride.