• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Ghosts
1 1

3,680 posts in this topic

I certainly don't expect 9.9s, cover just seems too fragile and easily bent...I figured the flaking will be considered a printer error...

When you get your box resist the urge to give it a shake....

Edited by krighton

Strange question for you ashcan folks: what do you place the value of these at currently?

I'm always conscious of logging rare collectibles, taking pictures, etc. just in case there's ever an insurance claim.

I never used to worry about those things, but about 10 years ago I had extensive water damage....if it weren't for thorough documentation and other records, alot of stuff would have never been reimbursed.

Unfortunately there's no GPA data and there are only a very small sampling of raws sold. Definitely interested in trying to determine a 'replacement value' if such a thing could even be determined.

Strange question for you ashcan folks: what do you place the value of these at currently?

I'm always conscious of logging rare collectibles, taking pictures, etc. just in case there's ever an insurance claim.

I never used to worry about those things, but about 10 years ago I had extensive water damage....if it weren't for thorough documentation and other records, alot of stuff would have never been reimbursed.

Unfortunately there's no GPA data and there are only a very small sampling of raws sold. Definitely interested in trying to determine a 'replacement value' if such a thing could even be determined.

It's hard because there are simply so few and also because we have bias.

For me personally, I would not take less than $2500 for mine. Not only because it's from the C2E2 which is the very first ashcan Frank self published, but also because this was Frank's personal copy :)

It's hard because there are simply so few and also because we have bias.

For me personally, I would not take less than $2500 for mine. Not only because it's from the C2E2 which is the very first ashcan Frank self published, but also because this was Frank's personal copy :)

Thanks for the reply Z. As silly as this sounds, even a small discussion like this in a public place helps to crystalize some sort of "value". To me personally, the ashcans are practically priceless....but that would be a completely illegitimate thing to say with regards to insurance replacement value. I think we saw the sale of a raw sometime ago for around $700-800?

I believe that was the one Frank auctioned off for a colleague of his? I could be totally mis-remembering. Of course an encapsulated one is a bit different valuation as per practically everything else raw vs graded.

Not sure if I could put a "for sale" price on either of mine.....but I suspect it'd be in the same ballpark for the 9.2 SDCC.....the 2.5 C2E2 would have to clock in less for grade....but being that it's so rarified....I think not less than 1K. I'd still have mucho hesitation letting either go even at those prices.

My ECCC copy is currently being slabbed. Guessing it's somewhere in the 7.0 range, but I didn't press it first.

I have no idea what I'd sell it for - it's the only one of the floppies I really care about. Otherwise, my 5G collection is all OA.

My ECCC copy is currently being slabbed. Guessing it's somewhere in the 7.0 range, but I didn't press it first.

I have no idea what I'd sell it for - it's the only one of the floppies I really care about. Otherwise, my 5G collection is all OA.

What is your "drop dead" price? Even if you have no intention of selling, everyone has an internal price that would make them think 2x before saying no.

I think the #6 variant should be worth more than it is. Ltd to 200

#6 Has Garry Brown interior art. Lack of Mooneyham interiors and that it was a 1 shot story could be holding the price back?

#10 ECCC variant is also limited to 200 and can be had for less than #6.

any damage or they arrive ok

mine arrived in a box that didn't have any dings. The comics themselves appear to be in great shape. I am going to scan them, rebag/board them and put them in toploaders later today.