• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

February 2013 ComicLink "Featured" Auction

202 posts in this topic

I'm seeing a lot of ultra high grade ones and top end rare books coming down in price. Other mid grade more affordable books to us average collectors are coming up or holding their price. I think the "investors" are either cashing out and taking their profits or the idea of a 9.4 possibly being a 9.0 just days before the heat press is turning people off. Not sure which.

Some good JIM deals to be had...

JIM 92 9.4 (only 6 in 9.4...4 in 9.6) $1777

JIM 105 9.4 $757

JIM 9.4 $1046 about market

JIM 116 9.4 $877

This was the White Mountain copy. :o

Stunning book and great pick-up for someone.

Anyone else surprised the TOS #39 9.4 "only" went for $90k ?

The blue-chip books in 9.4 were the one segment unaffected by prices softening. If they start to drop what will be next ? :ohnoez:

Woke up this morning and won the only book I was bidding on!

RAD3C682201325_12371.jpg

A bit higher grade than I usually go for but you gotta treat yourself sometimes! Officially down to 43 books to complete my full set!

Question: If I was to purchase a second book from their general sales area, would they put them both together and combine shipping?

Woke up this morning and won the only book I was bidding on!

RAD3C682201325_12371.jpg

A bit higher grade than I usually go for but you gotta treat yourself sometimes! Officially down to 43 books to complete my full set!

Question: If I was to purchase a second book from their general sales area, would they put them both together and combine shipping?

Sweet book!

And yes, call them and talk to Traci and tell her what you want to do and they'll take care of it. I've done it a bunch of times (thumbs u

Wow !!

TOS39 and X-Men1 in CGC 9.4 both sold for ONLY 90k. :o

New GPA lows for those boys in grade.

Not really.

There were two X-men #1 sales for $89K each in the past year, and although there were previous sales in excess of $100K, it's not that far off. At least one of those copies upgraded to a 9.6, which would account for a stronger price.

TOS #39 sale was a sale reported by Doug Schmell - it was a privately brokered deal. Read into that what you will.

There has been a little bit of a drop, but auction results are hit and miss, depending on who is bidding.

There was some talk in the Golden Age forum about Clink not allowing search engines to crawl their site.

Nothing to do with nothing, but I just noticed comiclink is actively preventing ALL search engines from crawling the site. How odd.

If anything, that is going to hurt auction results as people who are googling for comics will not find the site as easily.

The blue-chip books in 9.4 were the one segment unaffected by prices softening. If they start to drop what will be next ? :ohnoez:

Every market is cyclical and has high and low points.

It was only a few years ago that AF #15 and most other keys had stalled. Then a few record sales happened and prices took off. Sometimes things plateau for a bit before the next run-up.

I can tell you from my experience, I am getting tons of new customers buying books that I've never dealt with before. Seems to be a new group entering in recent months/years.

Personally I wouldn't buy an AF15. When I see a graph chart going straight up, I see the day when it tops out and the first issue is sold lower than GPA. Then the next guy in line wants to get out and then starts the landslide. I have multiple key issues that once sold 25k-30k that now you can get for under 10k. When you see that bottoming out on GPA when the prices then bounce around pretty tight for a few months, then I consider the book oversold and try to pick them up. I've picked up early 9.8 white Avengers and ASM at half their values just a year ago that were sitting on EBay untouched.

Then again I have books that I don't care what I pay for them because I just want them. I also buy books I just "want" usually in lower grades. I think the safe bet is 8.5-9.4 for stability. As long as it looks nice and I have it, I'm happy. The grade doesn't matter where nostalgia takes its place.

Personally I wouldn't buy an AF15. When I see a graph chart going straight up, I see the day when it tops out and the first issue is sold lower than GPA. Then the next guy in line wants to get out and then starts the landslide. I have multiple key issues that once sold 25k-30k that now you can get for under 10k. When you see that bottoming out on GPA when the prices then bounce around pretty tight for a few months, then I consider the book oversold and try to pick them up. I've picked up early 9.8 white Avengers and ASM at half their values just a year ago that were sitting on EBay untouched.

Like I've said before, focusing on technology and information the way we do today, with everyone having a subscription to GPA and immediately analyzing every sale, people tend to over analyze and over react to each individual sale. That makes the landslide happen to an exaggerated degree.

If you have a passion for investing, it makes it a nerve wracking experience.

If you have a passion for comics, not so much.

lol

I'm happier with my X-Men 94 in 9.6 than I'll ever be with my TOS39 8.5. Go figure...

Like I've said before, focusing on technology and information the way we do today, with everyone having a subscription to GPA and immediately analyzing every sale, people tend to over analyze and over react to each individual sale. That makes the landslide happen to an exaggerated degree.

If you have a passion for investing, it makes it a nerve wracking experience.

If you have a passion for comics, not so much.

lol

I'm seeing a lot of ultra high grade ones and top end rare books coming down in price. Other mid grade more affordable books to us average collectors are coming up or holding their price. I think the "investors" are either cashing out and taking their profits or the idea of a 9.4 possibly being a 9.0 just days before the heat press is turning people off. Not sure which.

JIM 105 9.4 $757

JIM 116 9.4 $877

Did anyone here on the boards win the JIM 92 White Mountain? Steal at that price IMO...funny CLINK didn't even mention it in their description...but you could clearly see it notated on the label...

JIM 105 9.4 $757

JIM 116 9.4 $877

Anyone else surprised the TOS #39 9.4 "only" went for $90k ?

The X-Men #1 9.4 went for 90K as well. Truth is, at that level the pool is rather shallow and multiple copies have been available over the last two years. Each purchase takes another buyer out of the market so it's still impressive that these books are selling for +/-10%. As more copies come to market I think we will see a healthier and more sustainable pricing on these HG mega keys.

JIM 105 9.4 $757

JIM 116 9.4 $877

Did anyone here on the boards win the JIM 92 White Mountain? Steal at that price IMO...funny CLINK didn't even mention it in their description...but you could clearly see it notated on the label...

The book used to be a 9.2, and it sold years ago for about the same price as this 9.4 version of it.

JIM 105 9.4 $757

JIM 116 9.4 $877

Re. Pedigrees

Only one of the Journey into Mystery's was cited in the description : JIM 112 White Mountain. Others were not:

JIM 98 & 106 : Northland

JIM 93, 116 & 117 : Pacific Coast

JIM 86, 92 & 120 : White Mountain

JIM 100/101 : Twin Cities

I note the JIM 100 was originally a 9.2 (sold $1105 in May 2011), then a 9.4 (sold $3050 Aug 2011) now a 9.4 and sold for $1528.

I note the JIM 100 was originally a 9.2 (sold $1105 in May 2011), then a 9.4 (sold $3050 Aug 2011) now a 9.4 and sold for $1528.

May I ask how you know all this?

The first sale as a 9.2 was/is on Heritage. The scan of this book matches the 9.4 copy yesterday on Comiclink (3rd sale) - I guess there is only one Twin Cities copy. And the CGC certificate number of the Comiclink book matches the second sale recorded by GPA. All the same book.

I bid on 11 but only won this book ... decent book at a fair price

Sub Mariner #1 CGC 9.2

That was my book

Awesome ! Looks like a nice copy … It’s found a good home and will not likely be sold for many years (until my son starts selling my collection lol ) !

I think since I got back into collecting that my best deals have come through this forum but I’ve also gotten some fairly good deals on Clink auctions as well.

The first sale as a 9.2 was/is on Heritage. The scan of this book matches the 9.4 copy yesterday on Comiclink (3rd sale) - I guess there is only one Twin Cities copy. And the CGC certificate number of the Comiclink book matches the second sale recorded by GPA. All the same book.

Is it the comic series or the market that you follow that closely?

Wow !!

TOS39 and X-Men1 in CGC 9.4 both sold for ONLY 90k. :o

New GPA lows for those boys in grade.

Not really.

There were two X-men #1 sales for $89K each in the past year, and although there were previous sales in excess of $100K, it's not that far off. At least one of those copies upgraded to a 9.6, which would account for a stronger price.

TOS #39 sale was a sale reported by Doug Schmell - it was a privately brokered deal. Read into that what you will.

There has been a little bit of a drop, but auction results are hit and miss, depending on who is bidding.

There was some talk in the Golden Age forum about Clink not allowing search engines to crawl their site.

Nothing to do with nothing, but I just noticed comiclink is actively preventing ALL search engines from crawling the site. How odd.

If anything, that is going to hurt auction results as people who are googling for comics will not find the site as easily.

Absolutely nothing to do with ever increasing numbers in 9.4 and even 9.6 then meh

Is it the comic series or the market that you follow that closely?

GPA (GPAnalysis) has most if not all of this information (requires a subscription...about $10/month)...as mentioned, Heritage Archives is another good source...no subscription required/free registration required...