• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd thing happened to me tonight (long)

61 posts in this topic

I would cycle shops, but that's a benefit I have living in Philadelphia. I have 20 shops within 20-30 minutes.

It is terrible business for him. Okay he saved three copies of Blackacre #1. It might "blow up" to $30. He made $60 after eBay fees, PayPal fees, initial investment, shipping materials, and shipping. He lost you as a customer buying TPB you can get online for so much cheaper, all the Goldens he sells, and your pull list plus weekly purchases.

I had a shop I was spending $200 a week at and I asked for one of their extra January 2012 Previews (not for free, for the cover price) they had downstairs and they looked it up and saw it had a Saga preview and The Manhattan Projects unpublished pages. They said no. I stopped going there.

pretty sure you can still find Blackacre online for cover, but anyway...

I never go back to shops where the owner causes a stir. Sometimes you go into one of those shops and the owner acts like it is a privilege to be allowed in his store and that you are inconveniencing him by being there.

Link? In quantity I can't find them for cover. I stopped buying individually due to shipping costs.

Last conversation I had was along the lines of "How many can I buy?" And "I'm standing your store not shopping online and your saving ebay fees, PayPal fees, etc". And "I'll be back next week or the week after buying more stuff!" And if there's anything I know I'm going to profit on I buy other stuff I wouldn't normally get. They start making my stack smaller then so do I.

"Yeah I'm buying three copies of Nowhere Men number two but I'm also buying ASM 700 2nd print and Masters of the Universe 5 and 6 that I could get cheaper online."

See what I did there? Flipped the Internet conversation back on them?

Also if they whip out eBay prices, you whip out your phone next time you're looking at raw expensive books, and say "Yeah this book is selling less online and that's pro graded and pro resto checked which will cost me $$$$ to ship and have done".

Personally I prefer agreeing to a price without bringing the Internet into the equation. But I find it not too different than whipping out Overstreet.

I also have a LCS that I do my DCBS quantity order through now. They get a bigger discount through Diamond with the more books they buy. I go in a list on FOC with the prices I'll pay and how many I want. I say I'll just order online if they don't match it (which they always do because they still make money on each issue and get the extra discount on everything else).

I wouldn't be too bothered about the prices. Fact is you are up front about him about your speculation now he is up front with you about his prices... but I would speak my mind about limiting your back issue purchases.

Do you ever have problems with the condition of the books from DCBS? Another reason I like going to the LCS is they usually pull me NM+ copies but I can also always switch them out with the ones on the shelves if I'm not happy.

I haven't used it recently. But I've never had a problem. I've also never had an issue bent from Midtown. So I might just get lucky. I do live in Philadelphia which I think is a shipping center for USPS, so my packages aren't put through as many hands as someone in the country.

My LCS will only let you purchase one copy of each issue, no matter what it is. I went to buy Superior Spider-Man #1 for myself and another for my 7-year-old brother, and he said he had to charge $10 for an extra copy.

Plus, to be a member there, it costs $5 a year just to get 5% off of your purchase. It's ridiculous, but I live in a really small town and the closest comic shop besides his is an hour away.

My LCS will only let you purchase one copy of each issue, no matter what it is. I went to buy Superior Spider-Man #1 for myself and another for my 7-year-old brother, and he said he had to charge $10 for an extra copy.

Plus, to be a member there, it costs $5 a year just to get 5% off of your purchase. It's ridiculous, but I live in a really small town and the closest comic shop besides his is an hour away.

stuff like this makes me sad and grateful that Im in the middle of a bunch LCS. If I could, I'd send you some of our LCS :(

send your mom to get your brother a copy

stuff like this makes me sad and grateful that Im in the middle of a bunch LCS. If I could, I'd send you some of our LCS :(

Haha I wish. I went to NC State in Raleigh, NC, so I had more to choose from in the Triangle area. But I graduated this past December.

Another thing that happened at the same LCS: I have two younger cousins a year older than my little brother, and they love reading Superior Spider-Man. My uncle and his son went to buy issue #3, and since my other cousin was sick and couldn't go, they were going to buy an issue for him. The owner said he would get in trouble if he sold them more than one copy...doesn't make any sense to me.

I run into similar issues locally at a few LCS because there "fanboys" and the keep up to date with what is going on. The most popular LCS will increase prices on shelf books the same day of release, I saw Snapshot #1 and it was marked up to $4.99 and Justice League #1 new 52 was $6.99 by the end of its first Wednesday. But they haven't limited me yet. Another I got the last 3 copies of Saga #5 1st print off the shelf and I got a "seriously 3 copies" when I checked out. Mind you Saga #9 was on the shelf at that time as well.

Its not your fault he never checked prices on stuff he sold you in the past. He realized how much more money he could have made and its all because of you! :eyeroll:

Find a new shop.

he'd probably still have that stuff on the shelf or boxed somewhere anyways..

he lost a loyal customer.. His loss not urs you can find better deals online anyways..

Been there man. There are only about 6 or so shops here in ATL and 5 out of the 6 are pure garbage. Best way to get around this is to spend money. If it happens again and he starts quoting ebay prices, say "Cool, give me a diamond box, I have to get more stuff." Fill the box up, grab multiples of copies, also tell him to grab the copies he put behind the register and put them in the diamond box.

When you fill it up to around $1k, tell him you will do this every week. Then tell him to give you a discount. Say give me 30% off. He will haggle but don't take less than 25%. You probably wont even get that far though. Then just say something to the effect of, "You just lost a grand a week". The places here didn't like me taking multiple copies of books either but I just told them if they treat me right, I'll keep their rent paid, if not, so stupid. I have gotten emails from owners asking why I don't come to their store anymore, I just ignore them. You have to make them appreciate your business.

If someone posts a limit, I can more than respect that (I don't tend to buy multiples anyway).

But changing your dynamic in the way he did was unprofessional. He could have at least said something when you came in or mentioned that he's changing his "policy" for future purchases.

I just went thru a crazy shady situation too. Guy had some books on the wall with the price. I looked at the books and agreed to buy them. Looked away for a minute and they were magically back on the wall. I repeated myself. The two shop guys were whispering to each other oddly. I went thru the store and bought a large batch of books. When I came back, the books had been switched (new books were in pretty bad shape). I mentioned that I'd prefer the books that I'd originally looked at. They reluctantly went to the back room to retrieve them. Thought everything was okay. When I left, I looked at the receipt to see that they charged me double for the books. Went back in and had to cancel the transactiona and re-run all over again. Makes me laugh when I think about it.

If someone posts a limit, I can more than respect that (I don't tend to buy multiples anyway).

But changing your dynamic in the way he did was unprofessional. He could have at least said something when you came in or mentioned that he's changing his "policy" for future purchases.

I just went thru a crazy shady situation too. Guy had some books on the wall with the price. I looked at the books and agreed to buy them. Looked away for a minute and they were magically back on the wall. I repeated myself. The two shop guys were whispering to each other oddly. I went thru the store and bought a large batch of books. When I came back, the books had been switched (new books were in pretty bad shape). I mentioned that I'd prefer the books that I'd originally looked at. They reluctantly went to the back room to retrieve them. Thought everything was okay. When I left, I looked at the receipt to see that they charged me double for the books. Went back in and had to cancel the transactiona and re-run all over again. Makes me laugh when I think about it.

thats very shady..