• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Dringenberg - :-(

722 posts in this topic

I would highly recommend anyone with a Twitter account to issue a warning to convention-goers and fans, hashtag #MikeDringenberg and link @EidolonFineArts (his rep) about this BS.

"Anyone attending cons, beware of #MikeDringenberg defacing the comics he's autographing. (signing 'For Ebay' on fans' books)@EidolonFineArts"

I would love nothing more that to see this idlot's behavior re-tweeted - even just a little - over this.

Done. And I included a link to this thread. @CGCTransplant

(thumbs u

I am trying to think of the proper wording for this on facebook.

I think just a general warning to anyone approaching Sandman's Mike Dringenberg should be very careful and possibly specify a personalization on a book he signs. And SS subs even doubly-so.

Here's a tip:

Don't bring 100 books to a creator and ask for free sigs then brag how they're going to be stabbed and resold. Also don't bring a stack of books, brag, and then sit on the floor in front of the creator's table for an hour dissuading customers and fans alike by blocking the space. Otherwise the creator might get mad. Other sigs may suffer.

Just ASK Mike to sign another copy. Tell him you are keeping it. He will do it.

And if you think Neil doesn't get pissed sometimes about the same thing, you are mistaken. He just handles it better by signing a single copy from a stack and asking people to move on.

Here's a tip:

Don't bring 100 books to a creator and ask for free sigs then brag how they're going to be stabbed and resold. Also don't bring a stack of books, brag, and then sit on the floor in front of the creator's table for an hour dissuading customers and fans alike by blocking the space. Otherwise the creator might get mad. Other sigs may suffer.

Good tips, but what do they have to do with what happened here?

Apparently he has been personalizing everything (which I am fine with - i would have been over the moon, if this said "For Sean") and with a large volume of books he got pissy and started doing this to books.

A large volume of books.

Apparently he has been personalizing everything (which I am fine with - i would have been over the moon, if this said "For Sean") and with a large volume of books he got pissy and started doing this to books.

A large volume of books.

Really? I read there were 4 books handed to him.

A large volume of books.

Sean's book was one of FOUR books brought to him.

A large volume of books.

Is 4<100?

I am trying to find some kind of humor in it, but it is tough..

Time heals all wounds, and we all know that patience is a virue, Mr. Turnbull.

A large volume of books.

Is 4<100?

Depends who you ask, but I am going with YES!

A large volume of books.

According to what's going on here, it was four books. And even if it was 40, that still doesn't excuse him from taking out his frustrations on fans. If he wants to have a temper tantrum, he needs to go buy a dog and kick it around in the back yard instead of krapping on his fans by signing books like that.

A large volume of books.

Which is why I said Sean should ask Mike to make good on the sig. Mike was pissed about about the sig series stuff being brought for resale and probably thought it was part of the same thing. Not excusing what Mike wrote just explaining it.

A large volume of books.

According to what's going on here, it was four books. And even if it was 40, that still doesn't excuse him from taking out his frustrations on fans. If he wants to have a temper tantrum, he needs to go buy a dog and kick it around in the back yard instead of krapping on his fans by signing books like that.

You sound like you think creators owe you something.

A large volume of books.

Which is why I said Sean should ask Mike to make good on the sig. Mike was pissed about about the sig series stuff being brought for resale and probably thought it was part of the same thing. Not excusing what Mike wrote just explaining it.

I get it, I do.

The mature, adult options are to 1) refuse to sign, 2) demand payment for sigs, 3) sign it normally if you don't want to use options 1 or 2.

None of the above leave room for permanent defacement of a book entrusted to his care for a signature.

It's great that he was pissed. Lots of people get pissed for lots of reasons, it's never an excuse to damage someone's property to get their rocks off.

A large volume of books.

They do - respect for your property.

just not have him sign anything anymore. Well...that and if you find yourself next to him in the men's room pee on his shoes.

Someone did that to me once...I wish I had not been wearing sandals

A large volume of books.

I get it, I do.

The mature, adult options are to 1) refuse to sign, 2) demand payment for sigs, 3) sign it normally if you don't want to use options 1 or 2.

None of the above leave room for permanent defacement of a book entrusted to his care for a signature.

It's great that he was pissed. Lots of people get pissed for lots of reasons, it's never an excuse to damage someone's property to get their rocks off.

Think about the poor sap he might've done this to who we'll never know about. If there's any good that comes out of this, it's that the deed is made public for everyone to weigh in on.

A large volume of books.

Respect. If they want it, they have to be prepared to give it.

He's at a convention, at the table. He, as a creator, has every right to set the terms of signing and sketching and interaction with the public. What he can't do is unilaterally decide to deface that which belongs to someone else because he thinks he's entitled to do so.

Dringenberg owed Sean a lot. He owed Sean the courtesy of treating him like a human being with the same rights to have his property undamaged as he does. He owed Sean the respect he demands for himself.

So, yeah, Creators owe the lowly fan public a lot. They owe them the same treatment they think they deserve themselves. Nothing more, nothing less.