• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Dringenberg - :-(

722 posts in this topic

Apparently he has been personalizing everything (which I am fine with - i would have been over the moon, if this said "For Sean") and with a large volume of books he got pissy and started doing this to books.

A large volume of books.

According to what's going on here, it was four books. And even if it was 40, that still doesn't excuse him from taking out his frustrations on fans. If he wants to have a temper tantrum, he needs to go buy a dog and kick it around in the back yard instead of krapping on his fans by signing books like that.

You sound like you think creators owe you something.

He's an illustrator who is paid to illustrate, the more fans like his work, the more work he gets - it's a pretty simple concept that a large majority of industry professionals understand. He's not a rock star or entertainer, or even a politician - people are not there to hear his opinions or stances on issues - they are there for him to sign comic books. End of story. If he can't perform his duties within those parameters, he should stay home.

It's not a matter of fans being owed something, it's a matter of being a professional and having the ethical werewithal not to damage your fans' property due to you having a bad day.

He's an illustrator who is paid to illustrate, the more fans like his work, the more work he gets - it's a pretty simple concept that a large majority of industry professionals understand.
Mike doesn't work in comics anymore. Maybe partially for this reason. Because he is an illustrator, what comics people think doesn't affect his career.

Of course the other possible reason Mike did this to the book is that maybe he just has a flat sense of humor. He might have thought it was funny and figured incorrectly that Sean would too.

You should see the autograph he did inside my Sandman 1. But I shrugged it off.

He's an illustrator who is paid to illustrate, the more fans like his work, the more work he gets - it's a pretty simple concept that a large majority of industry professionals understand.
Mike doesn't work in comics anymore. Maybe partially for this reason. Because he is an illustrator, what comics people think doesn't affect his career.

Of course the other possible reason Mike did this to the book is that maybe he just has a flat sense of humor. He might have thought it was funny and figured incorrectly that Sean would too.

The "sense of humor" explanation may have been plausible before we got this update the day after it happened (from earlier in this thread):

I went over to Dringenberg on Saturday to witness a guy's book and Dringenberg actually boasted how he had taught the "speculators" a lesson. Being fully aware of whose books had gotten screwed up, it made me almost sick to my stomach to hear such *spoon* from a guy who I had been very exited to finally meet and who I've always considered the seminal Sandman artist.

I'd be curious about what that says... hm

And yeah, you might be right - perhaps the industry is not what he wanted to be in and left, and came back to do some autographs (it looks like he may have gone into fine art).

But sense of humor or whatever the intended result may have been - I would imagine common sense-minded people would figure out that signing in that way would leave most people plssed off, or leastways bummed out about the experience, especially if it wasn't for Ebay. Either, or - the scenario doesn't produce positive results for the recipient.

Edit after reading Chris' repost: Mike Dringenberg is a plnhead.

I'm not super bent out of shape about it, but I am disappointed. The vast majority of my Sandman SS books are my OO copies, or at the very least top end copies that I have had for 15-20 years.

I truly feel like it was a dumb and rude thing to use my book as his platform for giving speculators the finger. If I wanted to speculate on comics, I sure as hell wouldn't be doing it on a single-signed Mike Dringenberg Sandman #6.

So at the end of the day, I am not going to ask Mike Dringenberg for anything. I have had some wonderful friends offer me some of their duplicates, and I will have my defaced Enrique Bayhard special. I will not ever need another thing from Mike Dringenberg for the rest of my life, and I sure as hell hope that he never needs one of my kidneys.

I still have great love for what he helped create, but I don't have much of a connection to or an interest in the type of person that he is today.

Had this happen to me and Nycc 12 from gerad way, granted he signed the book to me, I never asked him to do that though.

Your story would be more similar if he had signed it "To Cubby Broccoli" or "Eat a booger, speculator."

I'm not super bent out of shape about it, but I am disappointed. The vast majority of my Sandman SS books are my OO copies, or at the very least top end copies that I have had for 15-20 years.

I truly feel like it was a dumb and rude thing to use my book as his platform for giving speculators the finger. If I wanted to speculate on comics, I sure as hell wouldn't be doing it on a single-signed Mike Dringenberg Sandman #6.

So at the end of the day, I am not going to ask Mike Dringenberg for anything. I have had some wonderful friends offer me some of their duplicates, and I will have my defaced Enrique Bayhard special. I will not ever need another thing from Mike Dringenberg for the rest of my life, and I sure as hell hope that he never needs one of my kidneys.

I still have great love for what he helped create, but I don't have much of a connection to or an interest in the type of person that he is today.

DIBS!!!!

just not have him sign anything anymore. Well...that and if you find yourself next to him in the men's room pee on his shoes.

Someone did that to me once...I wish I had not been wearing sandals

Better than a soggy sock full.

Had this happen to me and Nycc 12 from gerad way, granted he signed the book to me, I never asked him to do that though.

"Eat a booger, speculator."

I...I think I'd actually want a copy that said that.

If I ever write anything that gets published, I'm stealing that. I'd be nice and personalize it like,

To Sfingh:

Eat a booger, speculator!

Love, Beau

I'd be sure to stay in the window, though. Heck, could make a competition out of it; who got the best insult.

"On my book, he called me a sperm-gurgling c**t muscle!"

"Oh yeah? On mine, he called me a treacherous receptacle of wasted semen!"

"Eat a booger, speculator."

I...I think I'd actually want a copy that said that.

If I ever write anything that gets published, I'm stealing that. I'd be nice and personalize it like,

To Sfingh:

Eat a booger, speculator!

Love, Beau

I'd be sure to stay in the window, though. Heck, could make a competition out of it; who got the best insult.

"On my book, he called me a sperm-gurgling c**t muscle!"

"Oh yeah? On mine, he called me a treacherous receptacle of wasted semen!"

I totally lol'd. I wish you were around more.

DIBS!!!!

Nice grab. Those are sweet, sweet kidneys.

DIBS!!!!

Ginger flesh brings a nice flip on the secondary market. How ironic.

DIBS!!!!

Ginger flesh brings a nice flip on the secondary market. How ironic.

Only if it's not personlized. Then it's as valuable as a Mike Dringenberg autograph.

also looks like he had a full book area to sign and he decided to write on the blue tape also. sheesh

That is the first thing I noticed and was thinking man that sucks. All that space and he cut the sig off on the tape. :( Then I saw To eBay :tonofbricks:

Sorry Sean. I can't believe that someone would do this. Why not just refuse to sign instead of ruining someones property.