• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay seller kellyssuperheroes?
11 11

1,105 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2021 at 7:53 PM, KCOComics said:

But it's not second hand accounts. 

You can read about the arrest.  You can go through old threads here and read his old statements for yourself..  or his obvious schill accounts. 

Or address the fact that he sells hundreds of comics, many very valuable and never ever ever has a cgc book.  I'm not sure how any dealer of high end comics wouldn't occasionally stumble onto a CGC or CBCS graded book. 

I read another article a few years ago exposing him as the operator of Kellysuperheros and tied in all his past misgivings and use of family members names and so on. 

So it seems a little off that a guy who digs and exposes liars is so indifferent towards a seller who is so easily exposed. 

Now - with all that said, I really like you JJJ. Loved all of your work on bad eBay sellers. I'm so impressed when you weigh on in the restoration threads. You spot things I don't even think to look for.

I've looked at KSHeroes listings on different occasions. Usually when someone here has called attention to it. And I have no issues with his books. I have mentioned right here when I looked last October, at the time I was ripping BeatleBlueCat's cracked slab inventory to pieces. Here's what I stated, and this is my quote from this thread:

In replying to someone's question: What's to stop someone from buying a KellySH 9.9 restored book and selling it as 9.9 unrestored, I replied to that question

"That would be up to the next owner to honestly disclose it, or dishonestly withhold that info. I don't make any secret of it that I'm against trimming. IMO, it's not restoration, it's mutilation. But whether or not if the book is at one of the two extremes, something like this that has finely micro cut edges, or like All_things_Comics hacked to pieces 1/2 inch trims, if it's disclosed, it's not dishonest. If it's not disclosed, it is dishonest"

KellySH lists a lot of restored books. Maybe 40-50% of them are? When I was looking at BeatleBlue's books, they had the telltale signs of having once been slabbed. Same as polished gem and the others. When I look at the KellySH books, I don't see those identifiers. Now, it's fairly difficult to get a good read on his images because the resolution is low, the angles, and the almost complete absence of identifying marks like date stamps, stains, printing blips and blobs, etc., the detail is just not there for the type of read I need to go hunting. I really only have centering and staple placement to go by and most of the time, he doesn't post a back cover image. That's a lot of info I don't have to work with. So I'm limited in what features I can use for comparison and it's far more time consuming going through web images for matches.

Also, he is disclosing restoration. Not where I would like to see it disclosed, in the title, but it is there and from what I can see of the images, it looks like a fair assessment. The restored listings look like they're restored and his unrestored listings look like they're clean. I have nothing to point out as suspect really, because it looks like he's calling balls and strikes fairly.

Now, I haven't made a long time, steady practice of studying his books so I can't speak of what I haven't looked at. Looking at these listings now, amd within the past year or two, they look properly represented with respect to the seller's restored and unrestored classifications. Possibly grade also, and I have to add "possibly" because again, I can't get the kind of read from his images to see better than "looks like, kinda'sort'a, I think.." etc. The images are not clear enough to go beyond that, unless I'm merely guessing just to say something. But to answer your question, the short answer is that I have subjected his listings to the same BeatleBlueCat process of looking for those raw books in their pre KellSh slabbed form and come up with a big fat Schneider, sorry to say. 

Edited by James J Johnson

On 10/31/2021 at 9:24 PM, mattn792 said:

Go ahead and buy one of his books then, and you’ll see how overgraded they are.  Any 9.8 will be a 9.2, tops, etc.

The photo angles, the obvious lighting manipulation, the lack of detail… All stereotypical shrimp balls.

I buy very little on ebay. I surf it to study the raw market so I can better advise those here like I did with the AS 1 in another thread. Every once in a while I notice something worth mentioning. Like a blatant forgery or a raw 9.4 with the signs of having been slabbed, that when searched for turns out to be a CGC 7.5 or the like. 

I'm not recommending or vouching for KellySH inventory. I'm just saying that I have looked and I can't find a smoking gun that turns out to be a bazooka when applying the same type of indicators to his inventory that I have to the inventory of others that I've created or participated in threads about, like Tonfulle, Polished Gems, BeatleBlueCat, etc. 

On 10/31/2021 at 9:24 PM, mattn792 said:

Go ahead and buy one of his books then, and you’ll see how overgraded they are.  Any 9.8 will be a 9.2, tops, etc.

The photo angles, the obvious lighting manipulation, the lack of detail… All stereotypical shrimp balls.

Matt, from the post above yours:

Replying to KCO:

"But to answer your question, the short answer is that I have subjected his listings to the same BeatleBlueCat process of looking for those raw books in their pre KellSh slabbed form and come up with a big fat Schneider, sorry to say"

I've never mentioned it, not because I've never looked or never questioned his inventory. I never mentioned it because there simply was nothing I could find proof of, thus nothing to mention. 

You know why you were arrested.  You sold fake autographed memorabilia to the DAs son.  You and lots of others get away with it because as you always said, most people when they get scammed do nothing and walk away.  The few that complain are bought off with their own money back. You never counted on selling to someone who would shut you down.  And you weren’t a master forger.  Didn’t need to be. Just good enough to fool your trusting suckers.  But you’re getting on in years… and seem to delight in taking down your competitors now.  Or maybe it’s jealousy that they still get away with it?  

On 10/31/2021 at 10:05 PM, Aman619 said:

You know why you were arrested.  You sold fake autographed memorabilia to the DAs son.  You and lots of others get away with it because as you always said, most people when they get scammed do nothing and walk away.  The few that complain are bought off with their own money back. You never counted on selling to someone who would shut you down.  And you weren’t a master forger.  Didn’t need to be. Just good enough to fool your trusting suckers.  But you’re getting on in years… and seem to delight in taking down your competitors now.  Or maybe it’s jealousy that they still get away with it?  

Are you positive that I'm the one who did all of this and can prove it? I was arrested? Me? In connection with fraudulent autographs? And I sell these fraudulent items to many others? Very important questions. Because if you're accusing me oft this, then this is a defamatory statement, so I want to be sure that you can prove this, you're not just speculating, and your accusation is not misdirected. You sure that's me? 

On 10/31/2021 at 10:22 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Flint Michigan water? 

He must be drinking it by the gallon if he thinks he can prove that's me. I wasn't within 500 miles of NY through the 1990s and that can be easily proven at the right time and in the right place for properly addressing remedy for defamation. Not CGCs. Not the forum's. His accusations and defamation, just to be crystal clear. 

On 11/1/2021 at 12:32 AM, James J Johnson said:

He must be drinking it by the gallon if he thinks he can prove that's me. I wasn't within 500 miles of NY through the 1990s and that can be easily proven at the right time and in the right place for properly addressing remedy for defamation. Not CGCs. Not the forum's. His accusations and defamation, just to be crystal clear. 

I just try to stay outside of the personal grievances/accusations. Don't get me wrong in this world especially online there is no way to completely avoid it. 

I have ended up in the middle of the 

Icandothisallday, Merced, and dylan chit shows and those were a real mess, but even those are not near as infamous as Ewart or Dupcak.... 

I am just here for the information, like minds, and jokes..... Plenty of Jokes... 

On 10/31/2021 at 10:45 PM, Dr. Dank said:

I can't even pretend to follow what's going on

They're looking for Mr. Hyde, and I'm not even as much as Dr. Jekyll. So they're going to hang the goat instead. The very same goat that's helped everyone and anyone who came to the forum and asked for help over the past 4 years. Disgusting, to say the least. 

On 9/19/2021 at 5:23 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

BTW, whomever is stating that these are forgeries is demonstrably wrong and probably doing so due to the seller. Nobody who knows these players' tracks would say they're definitely fakes. That's the wrong way to authenticate. Judge the tracks.  A Beckett or PSA online quick opinion will show that they're "likely good", I'm sure. I collect sports autos, among other genres.. I have all of these players' ink. These are all proper and consistent with authentic ca.1970ish signatures of these players and exhibit none of the obvious telltale markers of forgeries, IMHO.

I've mostly liked your posts, James Johnson, and I thought the person who accused of you representing "Kellys" was out of left field, but regardless of that, any attempt on your part to cast Kellys as legitimate immediately makes you suspect in my eyes.  It's kind of like finding a shoebox of old photos of your favorite grandfather wearing a Nazi uniform.  I suddenly feel dirty.  I agree with your many posts that Beetlebluecat is awful, but Kellys similarly continues to do the same shady it has done for years and years and is a cancerous blight on the hobby and an unnecessary landmine for newcomers.  Full stop.