• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis Comics

199 posts in this topic

Frankly, Metro's attachment to their inventory borders on pathological hoarding. Case in point: the monthly auctions, where common non-key Bronze books in cr*p minus condition can be yours for a starting bid of only $11.

I will agree they have the stuff , which makes my dealings so disappointing . With me just getting to buy some of the Timelys I want finally, this makes the pool of books that much smaller..

I have to say honestly that even before I started dealing in comic books I never felt a dealer was supposed to refund me the CGC grading costs if a book came back restored. (shrug) I felt they were only liable for the original price of the book when they sold it me as a unrestored.

Logically that hold no water.

Any reputable A+ dealer which Metropolis very much is has a life-long return policy on restored books accidentally sold to a customer as unrestored.

So it seems to me they did what a professional comic book dealer does when this happens. They refund you your money for the purchase of the book. (shrug)

Look I am sure CGC did catch the right restoration, and with many big time dealers with thousands of books this stuff will happen from time to time to them all.

You also have to keep in mind CGC gading is an opinion, and while most restoration they catch is 100% correct in their detection I have seen sometimes where it can go either way. Meaning other knowledgable comic scholars would disagree. So when I see a customer bring a book back to a reputable dealer for a return the dealer takes the book back on the trust we have that CGC is correct in their evaluation no questions asked.

In short no one at that company told you to get the book graded. Unfortunately for you instead of finding out for free the book was restored it cost you money. Listen I bought an AF 15 from a comic book store a year ago and it came back restored. I got my money back, but I was out $100+ in CGC fees. Its all a part of the game my friend, sorry.

I have seen customers state before they bought a really big raw book that the stipulation was if the book came back restored from CGC that the dealer would split the difference with the customer on the CGC fees. Try something like that next time.

It sounds again like Metropolis did their job and refunded your money so while it sucks it came back restored I think you were fully made whole on their end.

I mean the ladder is no refund from someone from eBay or a small time dealer that works one comic show a year. At least with dealers such as Metro you know they will be there for you to talk and deal with every day.

I have dealers like Metropolis on the very top of my list of comic book dealers to do business with. Never a problem what so ever. :headbang:

If you somehow still feel unsatisfied call them up and talk to Vincent. He is very nice and I know cause I see it all the time he is readily available to work with anyone to make a customer happy and want to come back. (thumbs u

This is what separates the good sellers from the great sellers. I good seller will only refund the cost of the book if restoration is found. A great seller will not only refund the cost of the book, but will also refund the costs of the CGC grading.

The great sellers are also those who don't have the love/hate threads written about them when it comes to whether or not a collector should buy books from them. Thankfully there are great sellers out there. :D

So by that sound logic ( :eyeroll: ) then.....

What separates a good buyer from a great buyer when a book they buy comes back a grade or two higher from CGC the good buyer gives the dealer positive feedback while a great buyer gives the dealer the extra money for the upgrade then correct?

I do not know of any major dealer that gives CGC grading costs back as refund in their company guidelines on restored books. If they do great that is a nice gesture, but not giving back CGC fees that you the BUYER incurred after the fact isn't even on the radar as far as the right thing they have to do because that is completely absurd.

Hey, your right I mean I am assuming your the type of guy that would without hesitation call the seller you bought a book from and kick him back the money you owe them when that book came back a 9.4 instead of a 9.0 which you bought it as. meh

So then at least pay for the return shipping...why should the buyer be out any costs associated with the transaction???

And if you insist on having the book returned IN the slab, then pony up for the cost of the slab, son. :sumo:

JJ

I will agree they have the stuff , which makes my dealings so disappointing . With me just getting to buy some of the Timelys I want finally, this makes the pool of books that much smaller..

I have to say honestly that even before I started dealing in comic books I never felt a dealer was supposed to refund me the CGC grading costs if a book came back restored. (shrug) I felt they were only liable for the original price of the book when they sold it me as a unrestored.

Any reputable A+ dealer which Metropolis very much is has a life-long return policy on restored books accidentally sold to a customer as unrestored.

So it seems to me they did what a professional comic book dealer does when this happens. They refund you your money for the purchase of the book. (shrug)

Look I am sure CGC did catch the right restoration, and with many big time dealers with thousands of books this stuff will happen from time to time to them all.

You also have to keep in mind CGC gading is an opinion, and while most restoration they catch is 100% correct in their detection I have seen sometimes where it can go either way. Meaning other knowledgable comic scholars would disagree. So when I see a customer bring a book back to a reputable dealer for a return the dealer takes the book back on the trust we have that CGC is correct in their evaluation no questions asked.

In short no one at that company told you to get the book graded. Unfortunately for you instead of finding out for free the book was restored it cost you money. Listen I bought an AF 15 from a comic book store a year ago and it came back restored. I got my money back, but I was out $100+ in CGC fees. Its all a part of the game my friend, sorry.

I have seen customers state before they bought a really big raw book that the stipulation was if the book came back restored from CGC that the dealer would split the difference with the customer on the CGC fees. Try something like that next time.

It sounds again like Metropolis did their job and refunded your money so while it sucks it came back restored I think you were fully made whole on their end.

I mean the ladder is no refund from someone from eBay or a small time dealer that works one comic show a year. At least with dealers such as Metro you know they will be there for you to talk and deal with every day.

I have dealers like Metropolis on the very top of my list of comic book dealers to do business with. Never a problem what so ever. :headbang:

If you somehow still feel unsatisfied call them up and talk to Vincent. He is very nice and I know cause I see it all the time he is readily available to work with anyone to make a customer happy and want to come back. (thumbs u

This is what separates the good sellers from the great sellers. I good seller will only refund the cost of the book if restoration is found. A great seller will not only refund the cost of the book, but will also refund the costs of the CGC grading.

The great sellers are also those who don't have the love/hate threads written about them when it comes to whether or not a collector should buy books from them. Thankfully there are great sellers out there. :D

What separates a good buyer from a great buyer when a book they buy comes back a grade or two higher from CGC the good buyer gives the dealer positive feedback while a great buyer gives the dealer the extra money for the upgrade then correct?

I do not know of any major dealer that gives CGC grading costs back as refund in their company guidelines on restored books. If they do great that is a nice gesture, but not giving back CGC fees that you the BUYER incurred after the fact isn't even on the radar as far as the right thing they have to do because that is completely absurd.

Hey, your right I mean I am assuming your the type of guy that would without hesitation call the seller you bought a book from and kick him back the money you owe them when that book came back a 9.4 instead of a 9.0 which you bought it as. meh

So then at least pay for the return shipping...why should the buyer be out any costs associated with the transaction???

And if you insist on having the book returned IN the slab, then pony up for the cost of the slab, son. :sumo:

JJ

Why do you assume Metro does not pay return shipping?

Ahhh...but there is a dealer out there that does just that!!! :baiting::devil:

Each unrestored raw comic offered is painstakingly examined for any signs of restoration and repair so that we can make a restoration guarantee that is absolutely unique among sellers of unrestored raw comics.

If one of our unrestored listings is returned from a grading service with

anything but a blue label, that is, returned restored or qualified, without

being disclosed as such, we assume all financial liability for the buyer's

purchase:

A full refund of the price

The Postage for the purchase

The buyer's Postal fees to and from CGC or PGX

The full amount of the grading fees for that comic

The buyer's postage for the return for refund

In short, if we are wrong, and a comic listed as unrestored is graded

restored or qualified, the entire amount of out of pocket expense incurred by our buyer for that item is reimbursed

There you go again, ruining his argument with facts rantrant

(tsk)

lol

I'm not a BSD, or one in my own mind like many on here, but if I sell a raw book as unrestored/universal that came back restored or qualified then I would refund all of the buyers costs. I might exclude fast track fees, express shipping or extras like that.

They didnt with me...also when they told me they wanted the book back in the slab without refunding me the fee's I cracked it out and told them " I wouldnt be giving them a feebie " but did give them the label

They didnt with me...also when they told me they wanted the book back in the slab without refunding me the fee's I cracked it out and told them " I wouldnt be giving them a feebie " but did give them the label

Yeah, if they want the book back in the slab, then they should be paying the CGC fees, otherwise they get the book back raw.

Anyone here know if there is a price point that deals can be made? I've only made a few small purchases with them (a few deals under $500/ea). They gave me a slight hook on those. Is there a number where they'll deal better?

It could be that I'm a dealer and when I have my eye on something they think it's undervalued or desirable and so they hold their ground.

The thing to remember with Metro, is that unlike any other dealer, they don't really need the money.

That's a hard one for most people to wrap their heads around.

I'm well aware of their position in the market. And I understand how things work. Ask others, I'm not interested in setting GPA low's (would be nice). Don't want to set highs either though. I think I'm fair.

Perhaps Comic Connect works differently but on the only return I had so far on one of my consignments I ended up eating the shipping both ways to Canada on top of the duties. It would have been cheaper to let the buyer keep the book but he had already sent it back before I had the option.

JJ

Cuz in C-Macks original post he said they didn't? :sorry:

Jim

It could be that I'm a dealer and when I have my eye on something they think it's undervalued or desirable and so they hold their ground.

The thing to remember with Metro, is that unlike any other dealer, they don't really need the money.

Curious...Why don't they need the money? I gather since they are in business...they need the money.

Curious...Why don't they need the money? I gather since they are in business...they need the money.

I suppose almost everyone "needs the money" but it's well known that Metro has a large bankroll and is not hurting to sell. Oftentimes, they'd rather just sit on something until they get their price than sell cheap.

Where did they get their bankroll? What is their history?

I don't know. They successfully sold lots of comics in one of the wealthiest cities in the world?

Not really for me to answer. The point was really that they will hold out for their prices.

Where did they get their bankroll? What is their history?

I don't know. They successfully sold lots of comics in one of the wealthiest cities in the world?

Not really for me to answer. The point was really that they will hold out for their prices.

Metro was started by a guy with a good sense of business (to say the least) with smart taste in books.