• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

All this talk about Avengers 55 and IM 55 but the book to get is Marvel Preview 4 , first app starlord. Still some affordable mid grade stuff on Ebay etc. if the movie is big , hes the star of it, This book can become huge. And Starlord is a cool character.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/07/21/guardians-of-the-galaxy-why-does-star-lord-have-a-walkman/

Is it possible that Star-Lord has been living in space or decades at the start of James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy?

That certainly seems like a possibility since the table of props and costume elements from that film currently on display at San Diego Comic Con International includes a chunky Walkman with vintage orange foam headphone covers.

Here's a decription of the trailer that was shown (you need to use your imagination a bit):

"The Guardians Of The Galaxy trailer kicks off on a barren alien world. Chris Pratt’s character Peter Quill (also known as Star-Lord) is entering what looks to be some type of darkened, ancient temple. Peter Quill is there to steal some type of ancient alien artifact.

Suddenly, a bunch of aliens with huge guns confront Peter Quill, ordering him to drop the artifact now. Djimon Hounsou’s character Korath the Puruer asks Peter Quill, “Who are you?” Peter Quill replies, “I’m Star-Lord.” Korath asks, “Who?” Peter Quill quips “Star-Lord, legendary outlaw...? Forget it.”

The scene suddenly shifts to an alien prison, where the Guardians Of The Galaxy team is in a usual-suspects-type line-up. John C. Reilly’s character, Rhomann Dey, is doing a roll-call description. Starlord, Drax the Destroyer, Gamora, Rocket Raccoon, and Groot have all been arrested. It’s noted that Rocket Raccoon has over fifty charges of vehicular theft. ( lol ) When Rhomann Dey pokes fun at Peter Quill for calling himself Star-Lord, Peter Quill slowly turns up his middle finger.

Next, there is a series of various pieces of action footage, which involves a prison riot. At the end of the trailer. Rhomann Dey says, “They call themselves the Guardians of the Galaxy.” Another guard responds, “What a bunch of -holes.”

I have a question (and I am lazy to go and look for that).

Drax the Destroyer is a character which always had an average complexion. I recall that when Starlin picked him up once again in the second Silver Surfer series (mostly drawn by Ron Lim) his muscular apperance, and height, was exaggerated.

Is there a reason for that, as I see that when he’s drawn nowadays it’s always more muscular than he should be?

You call that musclebound? hm

That’s an average complexion for a super-hero. I assure you he got inflated when Lim started to draw him (very badly, at the beginning… :P )

so I wondered if there was a reason for that beside Lim which cannot draw properly… :D

He has been musclebound since his first appearance (shrug)

IRONMAN55001.jpg

I guess the answer is, different artists have different interpretations of characters.

This goes without saying, but everything has a limit. Only after many artists were granted the status of "super-stars" (read: around the height of the commercial success of McFarlane and Liefeld), they felt they could get away with everything.

Drax is drawn consistently, even with the due differences pertaining to each and every artist, up to when Starlin picks it up once again in the Silver Surfer v2 issue I mentioned.

I have purchased recently the original Captain Marvel run and he’s muscular but average, and surely not so taller than Reed Richards (as pictured before, where he’s more similar to Hulk or the Abomination than to himself).

Lim's Drax was pretty overboard in the upper body. Drax kept that build during the Infinity Watch days. He was toned down to relatively normal proportions for Annihilation and the appearances following that. Lim's take was pretty extreme, but it was the early 90s, after all.

Lim's Drax was pretty overboard in the upper body. Drax kept that build during the Infinity Watch days. He was toned down to relatively normal proportions for Annihilation and the appearances following that. Lim's take was pretty extreme, but it was the early 90s, after all.

More simply, he basically did not know how to draw, as much as Liefeld and partially McFarlane. One thing is saying: I want to make Drax a bit more muscular, and one is making his chest two times larger. ;)

And those issues are still in the 1980s I think. I really couldn’t stand the art, and despite the stories I dropped it when the situation degenerated into Gauntlet/Watch/Crusade et al.

All I'm saying, is LOTS of characters got the same treatment...it's not a "Drax" thing...

Thanos

Thanos?

Warlock

Warlock?

The second Thanos seems to make more sense to me though than the first version even though it may seem too Darkseid'esque to some.

The first Warlock (and the haircut) is in fact the yet unnamed "Him" and his costume features and hair are perfectly consistent with the previous first appearance on FF #67.

The second Warlock suffer from the same "Lim-like" problem but is perfectly consistent with the different garments Warlock wears in Jim Starlin’s first tenure of the character – and there is a reason for it as opposed to the uniform he has in the original Thomas run.

You have got to put things into historical order to see what I mean… (thumbs u

And the first Thanos you showed shouldn’t be taken as an example, as it is the very first appearance and Starlin was not drawing so greatly at the time, and was still fine-tuning the character’s features, which are indeed inspired by Darkseid by his own admission. :)