• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

Lim's Drax was pretty overboard in the upper body. Drax kept that build during the Infinity Watch days. He was toned down to relatively normal proportions for Annihilation and the appearances following that. Lim's take was pretty extreme, but it was the early 90s, after all.

More simply, he basically did not know how to draw, as much as Liefeld and partially McFarlane. One thing is saying: I want to make Drax a bit more muscular, and one is making his chest two times larger. ;)

And those issues are still in the 1980s I think. I really couldn’t stand the art, and despite the stories I dropped it when the situation degenerated into Gauntlet/Watch/Crusade et al.

Lim wasn't the greatest, but he definitely had some basic drawing ability.

And it's easy enough to check the timeframe of when Drax came into the Silver Surfer plot and Lim started drawing him. I checked before I posted.

Lim's Drax was pretty overboard in the upper body. Drax kept that build during the Infinity Watch days. He was toned down to relatively normal proportions for Annihilation and the appearances following that. Lim's take was pretty extreme, but it was the early 90s, after all.

More simply, he basically did not know how to draw, as much as Liefeld and partially McFarlane. One thing is saying: I want to make Drax a bit more muscular, and one is making his chest two times larger. ;)

And those issues are still in the 1980s I think. I really couldn’t stand the art, and despite the stories I dropped it when the situation degenerated into Gauntlet/Watch/Crusade et al.

And it's easy enough to check the timeframe of when Drax came into the Silver Surfer plot and Lim started drawing him. I checked before I posted.

I agree. Lim's work was great, IMHO - aside from the fact he seemed to draw faces nearly identical. No one seemed to have any significant facial features. Other than that, I always liked Lim's stuff - and his Surfer run was great at the time. Back then, he was intensely popular amongst the cosmic crowd.

I agree. Lim's work was great, IMHO - aside from the fact he seemed to draw faces nearly identical. No one seemed to have any significant facial features. Other than that, I always liked Lim's stuff - and his Surfer run was great at the time. Back then, he was intensely popular amongst the cosmic crowd.

+1

And the first Thanos you showed shouldn’t be taken as an example, as it is the very first appearance and Starlin was not drawing so greatly at the time, and was still fine-tuning the character’s features, which are indeed inspired by Darkseid by his own admission. :)

As was the first cover I posted with Drax?

Bottom line. Most characters have ALL been drawn in an exaggerated manner.

It's as simple as that.

X-Men 2099 was good, too. I think Lim had a great sense of action dynamics on a comics page. He drew well enough to pull it off. His weakness showed when drawing slow scenes - ordinary people doing ordinary things. Fortunately, none of the writers he worked with on Silver Surfer were writing about either of those. :)

I remember first seeing Lim's work on his Ex-Mutants title.I liked it then and still appreciate his work on SS.Vol 2(heck,I was turning flips when I heard that news back in the day). But it does seem like he fell into the draw like Liefield trap later on.I got to the point I hated the way he did faces.

Can't wait for this movie.Sounds like it's gonna rock!

And the first Thanos you showed shouldn’t be taken as an example, as it is the very first appearance and Starlin was not drawing so greatly at the time, and was still fine-tuning the character’s features, which are indeed inspired by Darkseid by his own admission. :)

As was the first cover I posted with Drax?

Bottom line. Most characters have ALL been drawn in an exaggerated manner.

It's as simple as that.

In the first cover you posted with Drax (if you mean Iron Man #55) Starlin is inked by Sinnott, and I believe this makes all the difference. The long experience of Sinnott both as a writer and artist always allowed him to correct many anatomy erros and inconsistencies when inking still inexperienced or less skilled artists.

The proportions of the cover are almost all fine, and they have almost surely been drawn after the interiors. In the interiors there is a lot of inconsistencies: it clearly shows that Starlin’s basic skills are midway into development: on that panel, which is by the way the very first Thanos appearance, but it is easy to see he was learning by the way. :foryou:

With the forced simplification you proposed you are making some confusion. You have at least two issues going on when you consider the timeline of a character:

1) one is the subsequent changes introduced in the character’s outfit or appearance (more than physical complexion) which generally stem from either the story or the characters’ evolution. To make an example: "Him" is created by scientists with the desire to create the "perfect" human being, toying with life itself, and I think it is no coincidence it is represented with the likeness of a statue from classical sculpture (roman or greek, I am not learned). As Thomas picks "Him" and develops the characters he gives him a costume, and explanations: the new figure has an almost mystical quality, and it represent a sort of "messiah" for the Counter-Earth (as opposed to the evil Man-Beast, which rebels agains the High Evolutionary). So Warlock has now longer hair, better suited to the aesthetics of the young people which follow him. As Starlin picks up Warlock once again in the mid-1970s, the costume has changed again, and this is tied to the story: Warlock hosts now a Soul Gem, his inner world is more problematic and he is confronted with an existential crisis: the changes introduced in his outfit reflect that: a horned small skull holding a (new) cape in place, all within a bit more baroque design.

All of these changes have meaning, and they add to the story and help the reader to get into it.

2) one are the changes arbitrarily introduced (mostly) in the characters physical complexion, which in recent years are more due to the whimsies of the artists than caused by a well-though specific intent or meaning. When Morrison and Quitely altered the Beast’s appearance there was a previous instance of that (the mutation of Griffin), and it made sense as the Beast himself explained that, but in more recent comics that seems an exception than the rule.

What you say it is true to some point as the freedom of the artist in putting his/her personal touches goes, but just makes for a poor rendition when it does not have a specific meaning and is more a byproduct of a lack of drawing skills.

I did not mean to despise Lim’s work as a whole: he often had some very nice intuitions in page layout, and he put care in his work, but his drawing capacity has an inherent limit when it comes to facial features (often awfully distorted and revealing little of the more subtle human emotions) or certain anatomic details. That’s what I meant. :)

X-Men 2099 was good, too. I think Lim had a great sense of action dynamics on a comics page. He drew well enough to pull it off. His weakness showed when drawing slow scenes - ordinary people doing ordinary things. Fortunately, none of the writers he worked with on Silver Surfer were writing about either of those. :)

Man, isn't that the truth. His non-action scenes were very forced-looking. I really liked his Surfer stuff - he always made Surfer look like liquid and flowing. It was a great subtle feel to his run.

Man, isn't that the truth. His non-action scenes were very forced-looking. I really liked his Surfer stuff - he always made Surfer look like liquid and flowing. It was a great subtle feel to his run.

To be honest, in his Surfer all the reflections and shadows, that you have to render in black and white when drawing, looked often innatural and forced. The figures had dynamism to them, I agree, but the skin of his Surfer did not give the impression of being shiny, as it is. And of course the same problem he encountered with Warlock.

The problem of doing properly ordinary things, and depicting an environment detailedly, and properly, belongs to each and every artist which did not train enough in drawing them. There are many renowned artists which still have enormous lacks in this sense.

To be fair to Lim, I must say he was better than other (then) younger artists to draw different settings and average objects and environments – at least from what I recall.

But the real weakness, in my opinion, lied in certain expressions, or angles, which he really did not get when drawing characters. One was less bound to notice this – say – in Jim Lee, but in fact Jim Lee had a limited set of expressions, and always the same poses. And all the characters looked the same. Lim was able to draw properly each different character, he just had these "dead angles" when he had to depict characters from certain perspective angles, and he did not know how to render properly certain expression, but he has always been better than Lee as far as narration goes. :)

2) one are the changes arbitrarily introduced (mostly) in the characters physical complexion…
At the risk of interpreting too much, do you mean "physique" rather than "complexion?" I know English borrowed both of these words, but in the American vernacular "complexion" refers to a quality of someone's skin, such as texture, shade or healthiness. "Physique" is about the build, especially muscular development of a person's body.

2) one are the changes arbitrarily introduced (mostly) in the characters physical complexion…
At the risk of interpreting too much, do you mean "physique" rather than "complexion?" I know English borrowed both of these words, but in the American vernacular "complexion" refers to a quality of someone's skin, such as texture, shade or healthiness. "Physique" is about the build, especially muscular development of a person's body.

Yes, I mean the physical appearance as a whole. I see in english the word has a more limited meaning, but by etimology I think it should address all the features, not just the ones you mentioned.

I started from the italian "complessione" which is a bit of out of use now, but it is the right word to explain what I mean.

I like Lim

20130721_163626_zps65e11d04.jpg

If this is recent (2013?) it is a big improvement indeed (also being a sketch). I like it, it‘s very Thanos. :)