• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does PRESSING IT OUT mean exactly?

383 posts in this topic

I am new to getting my comics graded and only have a handle full of CGC and SS CGC books, and I have heard many people mention, that this book or that book might carry a 9.6 or 9.8 after pressing it out. Can someone explain that to me a little?

lol here is an instructional video of how to press a comic book..pressing means to flatten it by pressing it in a dry press or using a heat press of some sort..

You can check out the part two of this video on youtube...

good luck with this thread

I would like to mention this video is tongue in cheek and freaking hilarious..and I find it suspicious that one of the most liked comments on this video is

"Doctor Watson is a poopie head"

not my words but oddly by a user named Gregloey..

make of it what you will

I am new to getting my comics graded and only have a handle full of CGC and SS CGC books, and I have heard many people mention, that this book or that book might carry a 9.6 or 9.8 after pressing it out. Can someone explain that to me a little?

The act of restoring a book to its previous state.....

For example:

Let's say you have a 9.8 Hulk 181. You shake that puppy until its about a 9.2

Then send that 9.2 to a pressing service & have the damage "PRESSED OUT".

Resub the book to CGC & voila....it's a 9.8 again. :cloud9:

The act of restoring a book to its previous state.....

If that's the case, then it's a shame we can't press out your thumb. (thumbs u

Pressing comics is a process where typically a dry mount press is used at low heat in conjunction with moisture, which helps relax the paper fibers, in order to remove bends, dents, and rolls from the books. Often the whole process can be completed in a matter of minutes.

Books with defects like the ones listed above that do not break color can be pressed into extremely high grade.

Pressing when done properly is extremely difficult to detect. Definitely difficult to detect on a consistent basis. The end result of dry mount pressing is also similar, if not identical, to the end result as if the book were stored in optimal and certain conditions (flat and under some amount of pressure) for a long period of time, which also makes it difficult for anyone to determine if a book has been pressed or not.

CGC has chosen not to consider pressing restoration. Most likely, because it can not be detected consistently, or determined if it was done intentionally by mechanical means or not. It's also believed that they choose not to because it helps continue to bring in more business. They often grade the same book two, three or more times, because they are purchased, cracked out, often pressed, and resubmitted in hopes of a higher grade.

Many consider pressing restoration, and by definition it is. It's a process of removing defects, which restores a book to a state closer to which it was when it was manufactured.

Many do not consider it restoration. Probably, because as mentioned, the same results can be found naturally over a longer period of time. The logic there is: If you stored a book poorly and it gained defects because of poor storage, it would be down graded for it. ie: a stacking curl. Conversely, if you stored a book, that already had a stacking curl, flat enough and long enough to remove the curl, you would grade it in it's current state. Not down grading it for a curl that no longer exists.

Many consider pressing to be so non invasive that it really doesn't bother them. Some are completely turned off by it, and don't want to own any books that have been pressed. For this reason, disclosure is a hot topic. Most believe that the information should be disclosed to any potential buyers. Many believe that information should be pro-active. Many care very little about pressing, and just don't care to ask or keep track. Some use the logic that "CGC doesn't mind it, I don't mind it, so if someone that does mind it wants to know, then they should ask."

Without a doubt. Pressing makes pretty books. It also goes without saying that the driving force behind the popularity of pressing is the possible financial gains to be made form the process. Perhaps, also, it's acceptance is rooted in the fact that it is very non invasive and does make a good product with all original material (nothing physically added or taken away). As an example you will find the comic community less divided on issues of tape and a newer result of pressing being referred to as "spine re-alignment therepy". Those are widely frowned upon.

There are many debates on pressing and disclosure that can be found here on the CGC chat boards.

CGC has chosen not to consider pressing restoration. Most likely, because it can not be detected consistently, or determined if it was done intentionally by mechanical means or not. It's also believed that they choose not to because it helps continue to bring in more business. They often grade the same book two, three or more times, because they are purchased, cracked out, often pressed, and resubmitted in hopes of a higher grade.

Many consider pressing restoration, and by definition it is. It's a process of removing defects, which restores a book to a state closer to which it was when it was manufactured.

:applause: