• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does PRESSING IT OUT mean exactly?

383 posts in this topic

There's no point in fighting you--you're beyond saving. I wish that it weren't so. :(

:eyeroll: He's just fine the way he is.

Does anyone prefer him posting in emoticons and pictures, or would we all prefer to see him post his thoughtful analysis of issues again without his fervor constantly getting him into fights?

It works both ways. You can't lay all the blame at his feet.

["both sides"?

As if it's really that cut & dry.

I think it's you who can't see....

Am I for or against pressing?

Couldn't care less. (shrug)

Then you have no idea what I can and can't see. :eyeroll: I don't see the issue as cut and dried at all--I was commenting on the people that do.

The only way to avoid having part of a larger point being taken out of context is to never say anything at all. It isn't a speaker's fault for saying something that can be snipped up and taken out of context, it's the fault of the person who trimmed the context to begin with.

I hope you will be as diligent in paroling other threads as I see "selective quoting" transgressions by the thousands on here. Get to work!

meh, I mostly hang in the Water Cooler these days fighting the biased.

:roflmao:

There's no point in fighting you--you're beyond saving. I wish that it weren't so. :(

Saving from what???

["both sides"?

Then you have no idea what I can and can't see. :eyeroll: I don't see the issue as cut and dried at all--I was commenting on the people that do.

:eyeroll:

I meant that your stance on the issue is irrelevant to my comment.

Can you please clarify who these "people that do" are?

Saving from what???

The mindset that causes him to get into constant fights and led him to his current non-confrontational but uncompelling posting style consisting of emoticons and pictures. He's a smart guy with a lot to say...the emoticon posts don't do much for anyone.

Saving from what???

The mindset that causes him to get into constant fights and led him to his current non-confrontational but uncompelling posting style consisting of emoticons and pictures. He's a smart guy with a lot to say...the emoticon posts don't do much for anyone.

That just seems peculiar to me.

Never once in all the time I've posted here have I ever thought I was above any other adult on here to tell them how they should or shouldn't post on a board filled with primarily faceless acquaintances who share the same hobby.

I've agreed with people. I've disagreed with people. But anyone I've felt was driving their train off the side of a cliff, I've just waved as they went by.

I'm not beyond ego, but I guess I just don't have that level of pomposity to think I'm all knowing.

Wow. (worship) This should be stickied so it doesn't get lost.

Any thoughts on other 'non-additive' controversies? Disassembly and such? :wishluck:

I take some issue with the notion that "Pressing, without a doubt, makes pretty books." To me, it creates a lot of books that look unnaturally flat. I remember buying books off the racks back in the day, and by virtue of the way they were standing up, they were never perfectly flat. Others have told me about how pressing sometimes leads to greater translucency and/or leaves subtle transfer stains. Some of the biggest pressers around readily tell me that they can almost always tell when a book has been pressed. Who started this fiction that you can't tell? I'll tell you who: pressers. Maybe you can't tell 100% of the time, but most of the time, you can.

I remember back when Ewert was selling unnaturally squashed books on eBay back in maybe 2003, and me and Joe Collector were calling the books out for all being pressed. Because they all obviously were. You remember what people said back then? "No way could one man be pressing that many books, and why would he? Consider the time, cost and risks involved." Now we know that it takes minimal time, minimal cost and minimal risk to press a book. I hate to say "I told you so", but...I told you so.

Another great fiction was, "Pressing can only improve certain defects, so only certain books will be pressed." WRONG!!! I was just IM-ing two nights ago with a friend of mine who is a big presser. He told me he got a great looking copy of a certain DC key. He told me that it didn't have any defects he could see that could be improved by pressing. You know what I said? "BUT, YOU'RE GOING TO PRESS IT ANYWAY, RIGHT? BECAUSE THERE'S NO DOWNSIDE TO FRESHENING IT UP A LITTLE BIT." And his answer, even though he told me it was probably unimproveable? "OF COURSE".

Of course, pressing was just the gateway drug into further shenanigans - microtrimming, artificial edge aging, staple popping, solvent cleaning, spine realignment, etc. Remember when popping out staples was taboo? Now they're popped out all the time. Who cares if this spine realignment technique can be done without removing the staples. Do you think it actually is? I mean, there's no downside to popping out the staples, everybody does it, so why wouldn't they do it? And some of the before-and-after book scans that have been posted recently show clear evidence of solvent-based cleaning. You think these stains are being Wonder Breaded away (especially now that Hostess is in bankruptcy, lol)? I'm told by those in the know that cleaning with naphtha is now a common practice.

I'm sorry, but "disclosure" was always a big farce. All it takes is one person to buy a book and CPR (crack-press-resub) it for all the book's history and disclosure to be wiped away if someone chose to do so (as they inevitably would). If I was a CPR hustler, of course I'd say I support disclosure, knowing how easy it would be to circumvent the rules.

I used to marvel at old books in great condition that had survived the ravages of time. That's what made Pedigree-quality finds so special. Now any book can roll back time with a little naphtha Botox treatment and some time in the Pressing sauna. Even pedigree books are pressed as a matter of course. I guess those Gaines File Copies grading 9.6 just weren't pretty enough; let's see if we can get a 9.8! The magic is totally and utterly gone for me and others. NO book impresses me anymore, because I know virtually every exceptional book has been worked on, even if it was allegedly "unimproveable". There is no downside. No one wants to take a chance they're leaving 0.2 of a grade on the table and all the money that means. FACT.

There is no rolling back time. The horse has left the barn and run the Kentucky Derby, there's no getting it back in; Pandora's Box has been open for a good decade (and yeah, people pressed books back in the day, but more books are probably pressed in a month or two these days than they were in the first 40 years of this hobby). Unfortunately, the hobby is what the hobby is. There's no going back. You all got the hobby you deserve. Congratulations.

Never once in all the time I've posted here have I ever thought I was above any other adult on here to tell them how they should or shouldn't post on a board filled with primarily faceless acquaintances who share the same hobby.

I've agreed with people. I've disagreed with people. But anyone I've felt was driving their train off the side of a cliff, I've just waved as they went by.

I'm not beyond ego, but I guess I just don't have that level of pomposity to think I'm all knowing.

It is peculiar--not sure I really see others doing it as well. But I do prefer to scream "HEY, WATCH OUT FOR THAT CLIFF!" instead of letting them run off of it. Is it pompous? Maybe. It also means that I care. :foryou: He's been here for years, and he DOES have a lot to say, so I'd much prefer that he start saying it again. But I don't expect it to happen. :sorry:

Does anyone prefer him posting in emoticons and pictures, or would we all prefer to see him post his thoughtful analysis of issues again without his fervor people with an agenda, who can't be bothered with such silly concepts as "reading comprehension" and "critical analysis" constantly getting trying to provoke him into fights?

(thumbs u

["both sides"?

:popcorn:

Does anyone prefer him posting in emoticons and pictures, or would we all prefer

PS. Stop speaking for anyone but yourself. You are not the board spokesman, and you do not know what "we" all would prefer, so kindly stop presenting your opinions of others as if they are, or should be, held by everyone. Thank you.

Any thoughts on other 'non-additive' controversies? Disassembly and such? :wishluck:

I take some issue with the notion that "Pressing, without a doubt, makes pretty books." To me, it creates a lot of books that look unnaturally flat. I remember buying books off the racks back in the day, and by virtue of the way they were standing up, they were never perfectly flat. Others have told me about how pressing sometimes leads to greater translucency and or leaves subtle transfer stains. Some of the biggest pressers around readily tell me that they can almost always tell when a book has been pressed. Who started this fiction that you can't tell? I'll tell you who: pressers. Maybe you can't tell 100% of the time, but most of the time you can.

I remember back when Ewert was selling unnaturally squashed books on eBay back in maybe 2003 and me and Joe Collector were calling the books out for all being pressed. Because they all obviously were. You remember what people said back then? "No way could one man be pressing that many books, and why would he? Consider the time, cost and risks involved." Now we know that it takes minimal time, minimal cost and minimal risk to press a book. I hate to say "I told you so", but...I told you so.

Another great fiction was, "Pressing can only improve certain defects, so only certain books will be pressed." WRONG!!! I was just IM-ing two nights ago with a friend of mine who is a big presser. He told me got a great looking copy of a certain DC key. He told me that it didn't have any defects he could see that could be improved by pressing. You know what I said? "BUT, YOU'RE GOING TO PRESS IT ANYWAY, RIGHT? BECAUSE THERE'S NO DOWNSIDE TO FRESHENING IT UP A LITTLE BIT." And his answer, even though he told me it was probably unimproveable? "OF COURSE".

Of course, pressing was just the gateway drug into further shenanigans - microtrimming, staple popping, solvent cleaning, spine realignment, etc. Remember when popping out staples was taboo? Now they're popped out all the time. Who cares if this spine realignment technique can be done without removing the staples. Do you think it actually is? I mean, there's no downside to popping out the staples, everybody does it, so why wouldn't they do it? And some of the before-and-after book scans that have been posted recently show clear evidence of solvent-based cleaning. You think these stains are being Wonder Breaded away (especially now that Hostess is in bankruptcy, lol)? I'm told by those in the know that cleaning with naphtha is now a common practice.

I'm sorry, but "disclosure" was always a big farce. All it takes is one person to buy a book and CPR (crack-press-resub) it for all the book's history and disclosure to be wiped away if someone chose to do so (as they inevitably would). If I was a CPR hustler, of course I'd say I support disclosure, knowing how easy it would be to circumvent the rules.

I used to marvel at old books in great condition that had survived the ravages of time. That's what made Pedigree-quality finds so special. Now any book can roll back time with a little naphtha Botox treatment and some time in the Pressing sauna. Even pedigree books are pressed as a matter of course. I guess those Gaines File Copies grading 9.6 just weren't pretty enough; let's see if we can get a 9.8! The magic is totally and utterly gone for me and others. No book impresses me anymore, because I know virtually every exceptional book has been worked on, even if it was allegedly "unimproveable". There is no downside. No one wants to take a chance they're leaving 0.2 of a grade on the table and all the money that means. FACT.

There is no rolling back time. The horse has left the barn and run the Kentucky Derby, there's no getting it back in; Pandora's Box has been open for a good decade (and yeah, people pressed books back in the day, but more books are probably pressed in a month or two these days than they were in the first 40 years of this hobby). Unfortunately, the hobby is what the hobby is. There's no going back. You all got the hobby you deserve. Congratulations.

Boom!

I take some issue with the notion that "Pressing, without a doubt, makes pretty books." To me, it creates a lot of books that look unnaturally flat. I remember buying books off the racks back in the day, and by virtue of the way they were standing up, they were never perfectly flat. Others have told me about how pressing sometimes leads to greater translucency and or leaves subtle transfer stains. Some of the biggest pressers around readily tell me that they can almost always tell when a book has been pressed. Who started this fiction that you can't tell? I'll tell you who: pressers. Maybe you can't tell 100% of the time, but most of the time you can.

I simply answered the OP in a way I thought would cover the overall topic fairly to both sides without diluting it with ten thousand different circumstances. It was intended to inform, but mot overwhelm with a wall of text that most people won't read.

...but Ok. "Expertly or properly pressed books make pretty books, but even that is a matter of varying opinion."

It is peculiar--not sure I really see others doing it as well. But I do prefer to scream "HEY, WATCH OUT FOR THAT CLIFF!" instead of letting them run off of it. Is it pompous? Maybe. It also means that I care. :foryou: But he's been here for years, and he DOES have a lot to say, so I'd much prefer that he start saying it again. But I don't expect it to happen. :sorry:

If I were to take it upon myself, to feel I needed to tell another adult, that their behavior was... from MY perspective, not... in agreement with MY perspective...

See, I can't. Even. Get. There...

Sorry man, it just doesn't feel right to me.

Does anyone prefer him posting in emoticons and pictures, or would we all prefer

PS. Stop speaking for anyone but yourself. You are not the board spokesman, and you do not know what "we" all would prefer, so kindly stop presenting your opinions of others as if they are, or should be, held by everyone. Thank you.

It was a question, which explicitly means I was interested in a response to it--and I was. If people do prefer you using emoticons instead of words, I'm curious as to why.

I remember back when Ewert was selling unnaturally squashed books on eBay back in maybe 2003 and me and Joe Collector were calling the books out for all being pressed. Because they all obviously were. You remember what people said back then? "No way could one man be pressing that many books, and why would he? Consider the time, cost and risks involved." Now we know that it takes minimal time, minimal cost and minimal risk to press a book. I hate to say "I told you so", but...I told you so.

Another great fiction was, "Pressing can only improve certain defects, so only certain books will be pressed." WRONG!!! I was just IM-ing two nights ago with a friend of mine who is a big presser. He told me he got a great looking copy of a certain DC key. He told me that it didn't have any defects he could see that could be improved by pressing. You know what I said? "BUT, YOU'RE GOING TO PRESS IT ANYWAY, RIGHT? BECAUSE THERE'S NO DOWNSIDE TO FRESHENING IT UP A LITTLE BIT." And his answer, even though he told me it was probably unimproveable? "OF COURSE".

Of course, pressing was just the gateway drug into further shenanigans - microtrimming, staple popping, solvent cleaning, spine realignment, etc. Remember when popping out staples was taboo? Now they're popped out all the time. Who cares if this spine realignment technique can be done without removing the staples. Do you think it actually is? I mean, there's no downside to popping out the staples, everybody does it, so why wouldn't they do it? And some of the before-and-after book scans that have been posted recently show clear evidence of solvent-based cleaning. You think these stains are being Wonder Breaded away (especially now that Hostess is in bankruptcy, lol)? I'm told by those in the know that cleaning with naphtha is now a common practice.

I used to marvel at old books in great condition that had survived the ravages of time. That's what made Pedigree-quality finds so special. Now any book can roll back time with a little naphtha Botox treatment and some time in the Pressing sauna. Even pedigree books are pressed as a matter of course. I guess those Gaines File Copies grading 9.6 just weren't pretty enough; let's see if we can get a 9.8! The magic is totally and utterly gone for me and others. No book impresses me anymore, because I know virtually every exceptional book has been worked on, even if it was allegedly "unimproveable". There is no downside. No one wants to take a chance they're leaving 0.2 of a grade on the table and all the money that means. FACT.

:golfclap: