• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does PRESSING IT OUT mean exactly?

383 posts in this topic

I like the way Roy put it out there in his sales threads: assume all books have been pressed.

lol That's known as "the Borock cop-out", all Roy needed to add was a "yadda yadda yadda" for it to be complete. Did he post the "Honest Without A Club" logo too?

So I disclose that all books are pressed and you still have to go on and on about something? :screwy:

Actually I was laughing at Originalisbest for thinking it was a good idea, you just happened to be the example. And apparently he misquoted you, so you can thank him for that, because I agree; "all books are pressed" is a lot different (and less laughable) than "assume all books are pressed."

Don't know why you're laughing at me, shillaculous, but whatev floats yer boat. :)

the fact that there is discussion, still, about pressing despite the millions of words already spoken on the subject just amazes me.

It is a topic that arouses emotions, and strong ones, at that.

It seems silly but in every pressing discussion something that is worthwhile is brought to the fore.

And the discussions are much more civil than they used to be.

I like the way Roy put it out there in his sales threads: assume all books have been pressed.

lol That's known as "the Borock cop-out", all Roy needed to add was a "yadda yadda yadda" for it to be complete. Did he post the "Honest Without A Club" logo too?

So I disclose that all books are pressed and you still have to go on and on about something? :screwy:

Actually I was laughing at Originalisbest for thinking it was a good idea, you just happened to be the example. And apparently he misquoted you, so you can thank him for that, because I agree; "all books are pressed" is a lot different (and less laughable) than "assume all books are pressed."

Don't know why you're laughing at me, shillaculous, but whatev floats yer boat. :)

Below is where I (slightly) misquoted Roy from his recent FS thread. Hope you feel better now? :)

"...OK, some new books for sale. I'll list them as I find the time. Consider all books pressed. Prices will be fair..." -- in other words, save yourself the asking, just assume they've been pressed and move on ifn you don't like such things.

Below is where I (slightly) misquoted Roy from his recent FS thread. Hope you feel better now? :)

"...OK, some new books for sale. I'll list them as I find the time. Consider all books pressed. Prices will be fair..." -- in other words, save yourself the asking, just assume they've been pressed and move on ifn you don't like such things.

:gossip:ignore him

I do to watch Carolina pizz away a huge lead :facepalm:

Be sure to call JJ if they lose, and offer him some Southern Comfort.

Bullock (who btw torched the HS I coach at in the HS finals when he was a sr.) just drained a three. So hopefully I wont have to make that call :wishluck:

the fact that there is discussion, still, about pressing despite the millions of words already spoken on the subject just amazes me.

I find conversations on here to be interesting to watch.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about conspiracy theorists, tin foil hat wearers, etc. in the wake of the Sandy Hook news.

Any how bronzilla posted a bunch of links that showed declassified documents that proved that some US organizations (like the CIA, the Army and the Governement) experimented, tortured and basically abused their own people. These are not imaginary theories, they actually happened. Imagine.

The thread died out without much of a flicker of life. I tried 1 or 2 more times to get a conversation going about the subject.

Not a single bite. Nobody was interested in discussing it. I actually found it hard to believe how it was ignored.

Start a thread about pressing comics though, and the words begin to fly, emotions rage, large posts are written and enemies are made.

Crazy.

It seems silly but in every pressing discussion something that is worthwhile is brought to the fore.

And the discussions are much more civil than they used to be.

Well, Tim isn't around anymore to blanket-label everyone that's ever pressed a book a dirt-bag, so that helps.

Honestly, the more that things progress, the more I become sympathetic with the anti-pressing crowd. While I am still not in opposition to the practice in any way, and still do engage in it with some regularity when reselling books, I can't help but look at the books that are being disassembled and reassembled by all the little Dr. Franksteins out there and wonder what the future of the hobby holds, especially since CGC has stuck to its "well, schucks, we only grade what's in front of us" defense. Nearly 15 years, and we still don't have any real assurances or safe guards in place, short of a questionable resto check process that I can tell you from personal experience is a shot in the dark at best.

Having said all that, I still love the hobby and am happy to be a part of it. I still love going through boxes at shows looking for hidden treasures, and tracking down collections on Craigslist, and meeting with collectors over beer and burgers and talking shop for a couple of hours. Yes, the hobby has changed, and I'm sympathetic for those who are so disallusioned as to feel they must leave it, but I still think its something worth saving and preserving for those that come after us, and by all accounts, there is a whole generation of comic geeks just waiting to take over.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about conspiracy theorists, tin foil hat wearers, etc. in the wake of the Sandy Hook news.

Any how bronzilla posted a bunch of links that showed declassified documents that proved that some US organizations (like the CIA, the Army and the Governement) experimented, tortured and basically abused their own people. These are not imaginary theories, they actually happened. Imagine.

The thread died out without much of a flicker of life. I tried 1 or 2 more times to get a conversation going about the subject.

Not a single bite. Nobody was interested in discussing it. I actually found it hard to believe how it was ignored.

Start a thread about pressing comics though, and the words begin to fly, emotions rage, large posts are written and enemies are made.

Crazy.

Sad but true. Perspective anyone?

Crazy.

Yep. There's a lot more serious sh1te going on in the world than pressing comics.

Crazy.

Yep. There's a lot more serious sh1te going on in the world than pressing comics.

No kidding.

You and me both. Same mess different day. I've been reading the same discussions for the better part of 7 years, those that joined before me even longer.

Some people like pressing. Some people don't. It's irrelevant now because there is no going back. The end.

Pressing comics is a process where typically a dry mount press is used at low heat in conjunction with moisture, which helps relax the paper fibers, in order to remove bends, dents, and rolls from the books. Often the whole process can be completed in a matter of minutes.

Books with defects like the ones listed above that do not break color can be pressed into extremely high grade.

Pressing when done properly is extremely difficult to detect. Definitely difficult to detect on a consistent basis. The end result of dry mount pressing is also similar, if not identical, to the end result as if the book were stored in optimal and certain conditions (flat and under some amount of pressure) for a long period of time, which also makes it difficult for anyone to determine if a book has been pressed or not.

CGC has chosen not to consider pressing restoration. Most likely, because it can not be detected consistently, or determined if it was done intentionally by mechanical means or not. It's also believed that they choose not to because it helps continue to bring in more business. They often grade the same book two, three or more times, because they are purchased, cracked out, often pressed, and resubmitted in hopes of a higher grade.

Many consider pressing restoration, and by definition it is. It's a process of removing defects, which restores a book to a state closer to which it was when it was manufactured.

Many do not consider it restoration. Probably, because as mentioned, the same results can be found naturally over a longer period of time. The logic there is: If you stored a book poorly and it gained defects because of poor storage, it would be down graded for it. ie: a stacking curl. Conversely, if you stored a book, that already had a stacking curl, flat enough and long enough to remove the curl, you would grade it in it's current state. Not down grading it for a curl that no longer exists.

Many consider pressing to be so non invasive that it really doesn't bother them. Some are completely turned off by it, and don't want to own any books that have been pressed. For this reason, disclosure is a hot topic. Most believe that the information should be disclosed to any potential buyers. Many believe that information should be pro-active. Many care very little about pressing, and just don't care to ask or keep track. Some use the logic that "CGC doesn't mind it, I don't mind it, so if someone that does mind it wants to know, then they should ask."

Without a doubt. Pressing makes pretty books. It also goes without saying that the driving force behind the popularity of pressing is the possible financial gains to be made form the process. Perhaps, also, it's acceptance is rooted in the fact that it is very non invasive and does make a good product with all original material (nothing physically added or taken away). As an example you will find the comic community less divided on issues of tape and a newer result of pressing being referred to as "spine re-alignment therepy". Those are widely frowned upon.

There are many debates on pressing and disclosure that can be found here on the CGC chat boards.

I just want to say this is perhaps the best synopsis of the whole pressing issue I have read. Sounds like a Wikipedia entry with both sides represented.

I agree. Nice job, Mike.