• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does PRESSING IT OUT mean exactly?

383 posts in this topic

That doesn't make any sense, except as I said if the trimming was there before the work was done. Which pro restorer trims books?

I would imagine any book that gets leaf casted needs a trimming.

It certainly does, but the excess casted material is being trimmed right up to, or next to the original edge.

Not cutting into it.

Same as if you hand applied/glued japan papers to mend, or fill a missing area.

What I figured, but thanks for clarifying Kenny.

I see many sides here.

. People who dislike any kind of restoration and feel pressing is restoration.

People who don't think pressing is restoration

People who don't care as long as they get the numbers on their books.

and people who think it MIGHT be something, but they don't want the values of the books they are selling to be impacted.

I'm sure I've missed a few...in any case, I'm going out...have fun:)

I can say without fear of being wrong that pretty much sums it up well. :)

Actually, I left out people like me...People who think pressing is restoration, but who don't mind restoration ...as long as it's disclosed:)

BTW, just as an aside...I had books stacked for 11 years and they still had NCB creasing, they were bagged and boarded and in 200-250 book stacks...so while I'm sure that some things could disappear over time, it probably would take longer than anyone around here has...so I would propose that pressing at the very least, ACCELERATES the process:)

I like the way Roy put it out there in his sales threads: assume all books have been pressed.

lol That's known as "the Borock cop-out", all Roy needed to add was a "yadda yadda yadda" for it to be complete. Did he post the "Honest Without A Club" logo too?

hm

I like the way Roy put it out there in his sales threads: assume all books have been pressed.

lol That's known as "the Borock cop-out", all Roy needed to add was a "yadda yadda yadda" for it to be complete. Did he post the "Honest Without A Club" logo too?

hm

I agree hm

hm

hm

Shill-Tastic! :D

hm

Spidey senses tingling. hm

hm

Stupendous :D

:whistle: ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

So I disclose that all books are pressed and you still have to go on and on about something? :screwy:

BTW, just as an aside...I had books stacked for 11 years and they still had NCB creasing, they were bagged and boarded and in 200-250 book stacks...so while I'm sure that some things could disappear over time, it probably would take longer than anyone around here has...so I would propose that pressing at the very least, ACCELERATES the process:)

It's possible that there was no humidity involved with your books.

Humidity and pressure over time will change the book's appearance. There is no question about it. Humidity actually can relax the fibres enough to begin to straighten them even without pressure under the right circumstances.

I've picked up original owner collections with books that "looked pressed" by standards according to this chat forum - they were missing that little gap at the centrefold that everyone looks for to determine if a book was pressed (that's not an effective indicator), they sat flat with no waviness or wear...and yet the books were absolutely not pressed. They were bought off of a newsstand read once and put away for storage. How did they end up so flat? They were stored in a humid environment.

So I disclose that all books are pressed and you still have to go on and on about something? :screwy:

Humidity and pressure over time will change the book's appearance. There is no question about it. Humidity actually can relax the fibres enough to begin to straighten them even without pressure under the right circumstances.

I've picked up original owner collections with books that "looked pressed" by standards according to this chat forum - they were missing that little gap at the centrefold that everyone looks for to determine if a book was pressed (that's not an effective indicator), they sat flat with no waviness or wear...and yet the books were absolutely not pressed. They were bought off of a newsstand read once and put away for storage. How did they end up so flat? They were stored in a humid environment.

Did that effect their BF?

Did that effect their BF?

I wish I could go to conventions walk around the floor paying GPA for books only to bring them home, have them professionally pressed because I don't have enough education on book restoration - and then CGC them only to ask THREE times GPA for that book, all while telling people I'm busy working at those conventions.

... :insane:

hm

hmhm

Actually I was laughing at Originalisbest for thinking it was a good idea, you just happened to be the example. And apparently he misquoted you, so you can thank him for that, because I agree; "all books are pressed" is a lot different (and less laughable) than "assume all books are pressed."

I wish I could go to conventions walk around the floor paying GPA for books only to bring them home, have them professionally pressed because I don't have enough education on book restoration - and then CGC them only to ask THREE times GPA for that book, all while telling people I'm busy working at those conventions.

Or you could always go and lie when people ask you who you are and stuff.

Either one would work

:whistle: ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

Sorry, I thought this was old news ;)

"See but I don't get it

Don't you think maybe we could put it on credit?

Don't you think it can take control when I don't let it?

I get stupefied, it's all the same you say, live with it

Look in my face, stare in my soul

I begin to stupify

Look in my face, stare in my soul

I begin to stupify"

Or you could always go and lie when people ask you who you are and stuff.

Either one would work

:facepalm: