• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does PRESSING IT OUT mean exactly?

383 posts in this topic

Ok, let me say it another way. I have never seen a book with the notation "trimmed" with a "P" designation. :)

That's a possibility, not sure if I have or not. It'd be weird if that's their policy given that they leave it off when trimming is the only work done.

Ok, let me say it another way. I have never seen a book with the notation "trimmed" with a "P" designation. :)

That's a possibility, not sure if I have or not. It'd be weird if that's their policy given that they leave it off when trimming is the only work done.

I remember having such a discussion with Steve a long, long time ago. Based on his sentiment on trimming being a destructive practice no pro-restorer would ever commit, I would be surprised to hear of an example with a P designation. I guess the anomalous example would be if a pro-restorer worked on a book that already had been trimmed.

Comics with pro work exist with trimming.

Superman 1

Superman 2

I found a bunch more--easiest way seems to be to go to Heritage and search their archives for the term "cgc (p)" and scroll until you find books with trimming. I found a bunch--here's one.

135799.jpg.391baf97af4f9a41d0bd8dab6a4ee696.jpg

The (A) or (P) refers to the materials used, not to the person who did the work.

:news:

If it's only a trim it won't get an (A) or a (P).

If it's a trim with color touch with a ball point pen it gets an (A)

If it's a trim with color touch with whatever professional materials Kenny is using to do color touch, it gets a (P).

That doesn't make any sense, except as I said if the trimming was there before the work was done. Which pro restorer trims books?

It makes sense within the context that CGC doesn't mean for the (A) or (P) to refer to the trimming at all, so they're making no judgment as to whether it's amateur or pro. I don't think any of the currently-active professional restorers trim, but I'm not sure of it.

That doesn't make any sense, except as I said if the trimming was there before the work was done. Which pro restorer trims books?

I would imagine any book that gets leaf casted needs a trimming.

Good point. Wouldn't that fall into extensive, and how would it be noted? Has CGC started noting "leaf casting" or are they just broadening the definition of their existing terms?

Good point. Wouldn't that fall into extensive, and how would it be noted? Has CGC started noting "leaf casting" or are they just broadening the definition of their existing terms?

GOTTA be extensive. I'm wondering how they note it as well, although I suppose "pieces added" sorta does still work.

It took a few decades of paying thousands of dollars for books before restoration gained a wide stigma. Few would be shocked back in the mid-80s when Gerber wrote this.

It took a few decades of paying thousands of dollars for books before restoration gained a wide stigma. Few would be shocked back in the mid-80s when Gerber wrote this.

For context it's the same timeframe as " Batman: The Dark Knight Returns" hitting the stands. Not exactly the Hobby's infancy, fairly "modern" times.

I still think the main stigma goes to non-disclosure. Legitimate treatments all have their place, they conserve and restore. But they can be used to "fool" or as a "cheat". Hatred follows.

It certainly does, but the excess casted material is being trimmed right up to, or next to the original edge.

Not cutting into it.

Same as if you hand applied/glued japan papers to mend, or fill a missing area.

GOTTA be extensive. I'm wondering how they note it as well, although I suppose "pieces added" sorta does still work.

That, and or "spine reinforced", "staples reinforced" etc..etc.

It all means stuff was added, so it does work.

In time, I imagine CGC will possibly retool the label to better reflect work done.

Which would be great.

I can't imagine that the time where spine lines or other creases can be filled and colored with exact matching is far away, heck I can match my old faded wall paint exactly with the computer in the paint store, and I have!

It's technologically feasible, but there's a wide gulf between what's possible and what's practical. The reason you're able to match your paint is because millions of people buy paint every year and a significant number of them need matching services. Further, it's not just color-matching that's the issue, it's also the quality of the ink. Reproducing ink used on comics in the 60s is next to impossible, and there's virtually no market for it. There is no supplier of old printing inks for restorers to go to.

And, uh, there's also the issue of replacing broken paper fibers on a crease, getting a fresh coating of sizing immaculately placed over the repair, and laying down color in the exact dot matrix pattern so that it can't be detected by someone looking with even a medium (let alone high) powered magnifier?

So yeah, CT is going to be detectable for the forseeable future, when you examine a book in person. I grant you it may be hard to detect via a scan. ;)

You mean I can't go to Home depot and have them match "Batman Boot Blue" or "Robin Cape Green" on Bat 1?

Damn.