• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does PRESSING IT OUT mean exactly?

383 posts in this topic

Sorry Gene, its not preposterous at all. Even before I resold a single book, back when I was a pure collector, I would in fact buy 1-2k book collections, even if there was only a handful of books I wanted for myself. The rest of the stuff would either sit in my garage or get traded off to another collector in time. I get that you would prefer to pay a dealer for the convenience of having done the work for you, because as you said your time is valuable to you, but let's be honest, not everyone does.

George, I'm not saying that there aren't people like yourself who would be willing to do this. But, this is really wholesaling, not collecting. For a hobbyist with the collecting goals I described, you would be hard-pressed (no pun intended) to come up with a more painful and inefficient manner of collecting books. It is a preposterous proposition to suggest that anyone who wants to collect specific, unmolested, super high grade should have to resort to such measures. It would sap all the enjoyment out of the hobby for me as it would turn it into a de facto wholesaling business.

I understand that there are people who may not have specific collecting aims and just try to uncover the undiscovered (sadly, mostly so they can press and resell most of the books), but it's really unfair to belittle the collector who isn't willing to go to such extreme measures to collect what he wants and tell him that this is the only collecting avenue left to him for what he wants to achieve in the hobby. I think Fingh is spot-on with what he's said regarding this matter.

That might be true if digging up original owner collections was the only avenue for untouched books, but it isn't. There are plenty of dealers and collectors who either don't press books or would be honest about it when asked. Several of them have posted in this thread. It takes networking, patience and the willingness to pay up when it's called for. Sounds a lot like the way I have heard OA collecting described, which you seem to more than dabble in.

I never said it was easy, but saying you can't find "unmolested" high grade books because the big dealers and auction houses press and slab is inaccurate, especially once you get past books printed in the mid-60s. Late silver and bronze is literally everywhere, even in high grade.

Their argument boils down to being upset that they no longer enjoy the same level of convenience they once did for buying what they want. Forgive me if I don't sympathize overmuch.

This seems disingenuous. Do you really think that most collectors of high grade unrestored books can build their collections by finding unblemished original owner high grade collections themselves? How many board members other than yourself who aren't full time dealers have built large collections with complete runs of multiple titles that way? I think the number is quite small, and not because of the inconvenience, but rather the difficulty of finding several of these collections before full time dealers have snapped them up.

My high grade Bronze collection was built by buying off the rack, but seeing as how I'm ancient in Board years, this doesn't seem like it was a viable option for most either.

Of course it's disingenuous, Bob! It's totally preposterous to suggest that anyone who wants to collect unmanipulated high grade has to go out and unearth OO HG collections that happen to have just the books they're looking for. So, Andy, let's say I'm interested in buying 100 specific books in high grade. I'm supposed to go out and discover these myself? And, if I do manage to find a collection that somehow everybody else has missed, with, say, 500 books, what am I supposed to do? Buy out the whole thing to get the 8 books I want from that collection, but, oh wait, only 3 of them are in the grade that I require? That's not collecting. That's being a dealer or quasi-dealer and buying out a collection for resale and maybe keeping a few for your personal stash. It is ludicrous to suggest that this is what I should be willing to do if I want to collect what I want to collect. Not everyone values their time, money and sanity so little to think this is the way to enjoy one's hobby.

Sorry Gene, its not preposterous at all. Even before I resold a single book, back when I was a pure collector, I would in fact buy 1-2k book collections, even if there was only a handful of books I wanted for myself. The rest of the stuff would either sit in my garage or get traded off to another collector in time. I get that you would prefer to pay a dealer for the convenience of having done the work for you, because as you said your time is valuable to you, but let's be honest, not everyone does.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever come across in my time on the boards.

How many non dealer hobbyists have the connections to get to OO collections before full time dealers?

How many non dealer hobbyists have the spare cash to pay for an OO collection?

How many non dealer hobbyists have the time to go looking for OO collections when they may already have a full time job and family?

How many non dealer hobbyists have the time or experience to sell off the excess books from collections?

Most people who are just buying comics for a hobby don't have the time, money, connections or experience to go sourcing these kinds of books, especially when there are full time dealers to compete with as well as the option of auction houses for sellers to go to. That's without considering that in the UK, these collections are for all intents and purposes non existent so Nick and I were screwed before we started.

George, I'm not saying that there aren't people like yourself who would be willing to do this. But, this is really wholesaling, not collecting. For a hobbyist with the collecting goals I described, you would be hard-pressed (no pun intended) to come up with a more painful and inefficient manner of collecting books. It is a preposterous proposition to suggest that anyone who wants to collect specific, unmolested, super high grade should have to resort to such measures. It would sap all the enjoyment out of the hobby for me as it would turn it into a de facto wholesaling business.

I understand that there are people who may not have specific collecting aims and just try to uncover the undiscovered (sadly, mostly so they can press and resell most of the books), but it's really unfair to belittle the collector who isn't willing to go to such extreme measures to collect what he wants and tell him that this is the only collecting avenue left to him for what he wants to achieve in the hobby. I think Fingh is spot-on with what he's said regarding this matter.

That might be true if digging up original owner collections was the only avenue for untouched books, but it isn't. There are plenty of dealers and collectors who either don't press books or would be honest about it when asked. Several of them have posted in this thread. It takes networking, patience and the willingness to pay up when it's called for. Sounds a lot like the way I have heard OA collecting described, which you seem to more than dabble in.

I never said it was easy, but saying you can't find "unmolested" high grade books because the big dealers and auction houses press and slab is inaccurate, especially once you get past books printed in the mid-60s. Late silver and bronze is literally everywhere, even in high grade.

Yes there are dealers who will disclose any known pressing if asked, unfortunately the previous owners of these books may not have been so forthcoming with the pressing history and it's impossible to know which if any books are unpressed unless the dealer purchased them from the original owner himself.

Yes there are dealers who will disclose any known pressing if asked, unfortunately the previous owners of these books may not have been so forthcoming with the pressing history and it's impossible to know which if any books are unpressed unless the dealer purchased them from the original owner himself.

That's true. That's where the networking, bankroll and patience come in.

As others have pointed out, since I am in the hobby only for the money ( :eyeroll: ) I would be personally incentivized to sell unpressed books if people paid an amount comparable to the post-pressing price. I don't enjoy pressing or slabbing, but I enjoy lining the pockets of others much less. Gain a reputation for paying well for unmolested books and you will find that it's not impossible to do.

As others have pointed out, since I am in the hobby only for the money ( :eyeroll: ) I would be personally incentivized to sell unpressed books if people paid an amount comparable to the post-pressing price. I don't enjoy pressing or slabbing, but I enjoy lining the pockets of others much less. Gain a reputation for paying well for unmolested books and you will find that it's not impossible to do.

Now this was my point the other day...V notations on the CGC cases;)

Just think...pretty soon, so many books will have been pressed, that Virgin books will be much more Rare....CGC will get rid of their pressing services and go into a whole new field...VIRGIN detection (and that is a non sexual description)

The tables will turn and all the pressed books, will drop in value...

Seriously, I don't know how many of you were involved with Beanie Babies...I know Andy is too young...but people were buying up these STUFFED animals, like they were priceless artifacts. The TAGS had to be perfect. you had to buy plastic heart shaped thingys, to preserve the tags perfects...and G-d Forbid the TAG HAD A CREASE...it was then worthless.I'd buy some at Nordstroms toss them on eBay for the $5.00 and I paid and some would go for 10 to 20 times what I paid for them ...people were CRAZED...I kept telling people who were hoarding them, that they were "toys" and not rare. I did sell them, it was fun, but I was not under the delusion that I need to keep a garage full.

I remember my daughter getting some of the animals and asking me to "please cut the tag off" because she wanted to keep it...and not have it on eBay;) Luckily, I did that, so shes not in therapy...

Look what happened to the beanie baby market with their perfect tags.

That's great but not everyone is in your position. I don't know much about you but do you hold down a full time job as well as your comic dealing? Do you have a young family which demands at least part of your time? You obviously have enough money that is actually spare to finance these kinds of ventures, not everyone is in that position. Networking takes a level of commitment and time that not everyone has as does gaining the experience to deal with collections and selling off what isn't wanted. Location is important too.

All of these factors contribute to the feasibility of searching out original owner books as you suggested if all of these factors are in your favour then you are on a level playing field with the professional dealers who are doing it for a living.

If this is what it takes to enjoy the hobby of collecting high grade unmanipulated comics then it's small wonder that there are very few in the position to do so in any practical manner.

I don't know much about you but do you hold down a full time job as well as your comic dealing? Do you have a young family which demands at least part of your time?

Yes and yes. A full time job and a wife. No kids yet.

You obviously have enough money that is actually spare to finance these kinds of ventures, not everyone is in that position. Networking takes a level of commitment and time that not everyone has as does gaining the experience to deal with collections and selling off what isn't wanted. Location is important too.

All of these factors contribute to the feasibility of searching out original owner books as you suggested if all of these factors are in your favour then you are on a level playing field with the professional dealers who are doing it for a living.

I won't argue with any of this. It's all true.

But once again, I never said that it was easy or for everyone, just that it wasn't impossible or anywhere close to it.

Serious question. How do you feel about the unmanipulated books you sell as a dealer to people you know to have books pressed?

Not exactly happy, but there's a difference between stopping collecting and having to find something else to fill in your spare time, or stopping selling to them and having no food on the table.

So it's cool to profit off of guys who will press the books you sell them, but not cool for them to do the actual pressing. Got it. What if they need food on the table too? Destroying the hobby would get much harder if people would stop selling to known pressers, wouldn't it?

I sell under-graded, unmanipulated raw books to pressers, who turn my 8.5s into 9.6s...and I'm the profiteer? :screwy:

It's not profitable? So you don't make money, and you sell to pressers who wreck the books and destroyed your love of high grade anyway? That's your argument?

I deserve to make a profit because of the amount of hard work I put in, because of the years of good deals I've made to build a rep, because of the transparency I bring to my dealings.

Now this is amusing. Are you the ultimate one to determine who is allowed to make profits, and how much, and in what way? My goodness.

Could somebody please point out where I said that pressers were evil and didn't deserve to make a profit?

This all started because I stated why I left collecting.

End of.

I have not accused pressers of being immoral, or being unworthy of earning a living.

I said that pressing had taken the magic away from collecting for me - so I stopped.

I seem to remember words like greedy and unethical being thrown around.

Serious question. How do you feel about the unmanipulated books you sell as a dealer to people you know to have books pressed?

Not exactly happy, but there's a difference between stopping collecting and having to find something else to fill in your spare time, or stopping selling to them and having no food on the table.

So it's cool to profit off of guys who will press the books you sell them, but not cool for them to do the actual pressing. Got it. What if they need food on the table too? Destroying the hobby would get much harder if people would stop selling to known pressers, wouldn't it?

I sell under-graded, unmanipulated raw books to pressers, who turn my 8.5s into 9.6s...and I'm the profiteer? :screwy:

It's not profitable? So you don't make money, and you sell to pressers who wreck the books and destroyed your love of high grade anyway? That's your argument?

I deserve to make a profit because of the amount of hard work I put in, because of the years of good deals I've made to build a rep, because of the transparency I bring to my dealings.

Now this is amusing. Are you the ultimate one to determine who is allowed to make profits, and how much, and in what way? My goodness.

Could somebody please point out where I said that pressers were evil and didn't deserve to make a profit?

End of.

I have not accused pressers of being immoral, or being unworthy of earning a living.

I said that pressing had taken the magic away from collecting for me - so I stopped.

Joey just beat me to it, but that's pretty much the jist of it. Anyway. FWIW, FT, I bear you no ill will and would be very pleased to be a customer of yours, whether I got a book from you and decided I could just leave it be, or decide to press it if I thought it would improve the look. :)

End of.

There certainly are some greedy and dishonest people in the hobby, Joe...but I can verify that Nick specifically mentioned you were not one of them. As a matter of fact your face should have been red, because we both said (in a PM) how honest you are.

End of.

Link?

End of.

There certainly are some greedy and dishonest people in the hobby, Joe...but I can verify that Nick specifically mentioned you were not one of them. As a matter of fact your face should have been red, because we both said (in a PM) how honest you are.

If a person is against pressing and feels it has ruined the hobby for them, why would it matter if a presser was a great guy? I'm just curious about the distinction.

End of.

If a person is against pressing and feels it has ruined the hobby for them, why would it matter if a presser was a great guy? I'm just curious about the distinction.

He IS a great guy, but I said HONEST, Joe has always proactively disclosed his work that he's done for himself. I understand it's up to his customers to make their own disclosures, but HE has always proactively disclosed.

I don't know about you, but if I buy something, I like to know that I didn't need a check list of questions to ask, so I don't get something I don't expect. I tend to avoid those stores.

End of.

BTW, I am not an "anti presser" I've had books pressed, not many, but I have...I'm an anti hide whatever you are doing to the books person...pressing, cleaning, using it as a tissue, etc;)

Edit, I'm not anti restoration...and I do think pressing is restoration, but if you "face job" a book, you should be upfront about it

End of.

Joey, I just looked through all of Nicks posts in this thread and he hasn't used those words once. If you check through his posts in this thread, I think you'll find that he hasn't said anything derogatory against pressers.

End of.

He IS a great guy, but I said HONEST, Joe has always proactively disclosed his work that he's done for himself. I understand it's up to his customers to make their own disclosures, but HE has always proactively disclosed.

I don't know about you, but if I buy something, I like to know that I didn't need a check list of questions to ask, so I don't get something I don't expect. I tend to avoid those stores.

I agree about Joe, but again...if you're someone who feels pressing has ruined the hobby for you ( not you ) why would it matter?

As a collector, I understand why some people are anal about what they collect. Hell, I was upset they changed the color timing on the Blu-ray release of Alien & Aliens.

Personally, I don't care either way if a book is pressed or not as long as it presents nice and I'm happy with it.

End of.

I agree about Joe, but again...if you're someone who feels pressing has ruined the hobby for you ( not you ) why would it matter?

As a collector, I understand why some people are anal about what they collect. Hell, I was upset they changed the color timing on the Blu-ray release of Alien & Aliens.

Personally, I don't care either way if a book is pressed or not as long as it presents nice and I'm happy with it.

Have I ever personally said pressing ruined the hobby for me? NEVER...

I just don't like all the hidden junk, I think THAT is going to ruin the hobby for a lot of people down the road.

I do not collect high grade copper or bronze...or high grade anything.I mostly collect lower grade or mid grade GA....but I don't like buying a book that was a VG yesterday and is now a Fine, unless I KNOW about it first...I just feel slimed if I find out later.

I have BOUGHT books that were pressed when it was disclosed, btw. If it as a book I really wanted and I decided to make that decision after knowing the facts...those I'm quite happy with

End of.

Joey, I just looked through all of Nicks posts in this thread and he hasn't used those words once. If you check through his posts in this thread, I think you'll find that he hasn't said anything derogatory against pressers.

Pretty sure he meant in past threads, probably from a few years ago.

People have questioned about someone who doesn't like pressing selling their comics when they know they're likely to be pressed and it's a question that I've faced recently.

I put quite a bit of effort into building a collection that consisted of mainly books that I knew had a good shot at never having been pressed. When my family hit unfortunate circumstances, there came a time where the collection was a luxury I could no longer afford so everything became up for sale.

Having spent a long time putting this collection together, I was faced with the question of what was going to happen to the books that I'd always wanted and intended to keep in unmanipulated condition. I was never going to have them pressed even though I'd stand to make a lot of money from it, my dislike of pressing isn't a secret (important to note that I said dislike of pressing, not dislike of pressers).

As much as I'd love for these books to remain unpressed, I had to face the fact that whoever I sold to, there was going to be the chance that they could be pressed so I has to divorce myself from that thought. I will and have sold to pressers though I favour selling to people who I think won't press. As I mentioned, it's not that I have a dislike of people who press, in fact I like some of them a lot and I'm mature enough to be able to disagree with someone but still get on with them well.