• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

When I was at Tampa Con, I saw a 20-something girl and her boyfriend/husband go up to a dealer and look at his books. Then she started saying, "It's gone! It's gone!". Then she began crying. Full on tears. She carried on for a while that way.

I found out the back story.

Apparently she had stopped by his booth earlier and he had issues #1 and #2 of the early Harley series for $50, and instead of buying them, walked around the show for an hour or so trying to find a cheaper set. When she got back, they were sold.

(To be honest, i don't know what books she was referring to).

But it made an impression on me that the 20-somethings could feel that strongly about it.

I have done a lot of coin shows in my past. I've been a coin collector for years. Never saw someone start crying because the coin they wanted was sold. Hell, I've never seen anyone in their 20's at a coin show. :) But what I'm saying is that there is a lot of emotion for comics in general, and perhaps Harley in particular. It made an impression on me.

Edited by Westy Steve

When I was at Tampa Con, I saw a 20-something girl and her boyfriend/husband go up to a dealer and look at his books. Then she started saying, "It's gone! It's gone!". Then she began crying. Full on tears. She carried on for a while that way.

Apparently she had stopped by his booth earlier and he had issues #1 and #2 of the early Harley series for $50, and instead of buying them, walked around the show for an hour or so trying to find a cheaper set. When she got back, they were sold.

But it made an impression on me that the 20-somethings could feel that strongly about it.

I have done a lot of coin shows in my past. I've been a coin collector for years. Never saw someone start crying because the coin they wanted was sold. Hell, I've never seen anyone in their 20's at a coin show. :) But what I'm saying is that there is a lot of emotion for comics in general, and perhaps Harley in particular. It made an impression on me.

Harley is hot right now. At the spring shows we were moving $2.99 cover priced issues that were still at all of the LCSs for $6 - $8 apiece from the new series. Harley, Deadpool and WD are forces to be reckoned with at conventions......

Very nice display! I have a handful of Harley pieces too, nothing modern though. I have the Bruce Timm "laying on a deck of cards" FS statue. That one is killer.

I also have a rare porclean statue of Harley from the old WBSS. It's not on display at the moment (I'll have to fix that!) but it's awesome. She's hiding a bomb behind her back too. I also got the Ivy piece that matches it.

I've gotta find a way to get that display back up. I see an Ikea trip in my future.

OK but I think girls sometimes process things differently than guys. My wife has cried at soap commercials. I'm not investing in soap on the strength of that :insane:

I hear you, and you're right that there are strong fans of Harley, but... I wouldn't read too much into one person's emotions

There's some truth to this though. Clay Mann mentioned this at Boston Comic Con that apparently the kids and teenagers that came up to his booth had no idea who Gambit and Rogue were, but they ALL knew who Deadpool and Harley Quinn are.

Deadpool and Harley Quinn seem to be this generation's Wolverine and Catwoman.

so what would one expect to pay for a complete set of Harleys first series, (2000) #1 thru #38? I have a collector friend who has 2 complete sets, and I'm thinking of buying one of her sets from her.

so what would one expect to pay for a complete set of Harleys first series, (2000) #1 thru #38? I have a collector friend who has 2 complete sets, and I'm thinking of buying one of her sets from her.

$38 tops. The resale after #1 would be seriously difficult.