• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

So I walk into one of my shops and there on the kids rack were some batman adventures...number 9 up front...for sale at coover. I got excited...oh krap, what others are behind there???? A number 13. Oh well. Both were nm. 12 is not rare, I just don't know where they're hiding!

So I walk into one of my shops and there on the kids rack were some batman adventures...number 9 up front...for sale at coover. I got excited...oh krap, what others are behind there???? A number 13. Oh well. Both were nm. 12 is not rare, I just don't know where they're hiding!
Hiding on ebay for $800+ lol

I think BA 12 in 9.8 is a solid book, but proclamations about Harley being this character with awesome growth, she's going to be in movies and revolutionize the modern market are wildly overblown and premature.

First, we have not yet seen demand rising for this character's first appearance in ALL grades.

Second, her first ongoing series (remember that, when she was a "super hot character") got canceled.

Third, while she is a great character and I agree it's a possibility that she will have an expanded role at some point in time -- she has none right now. She's never been a major player in the DCU and never in the core mainstream Batman titles.

Fourth, BA 12 is selling better than NM 98 because there fewer of them in 9.8, not because Harley is somehow a more popular character than Deadpool, who is light years ahead in terms of having multiple titles and outselling most things.

Finally, while she certainly has a niche following, I do not see widespread appeal for her -- yet. Yes, we've had one auction and yes there's been a run up in price on this book in 9.8, but the frenzy surrounding this book on the boards is not well founded and until you start seeing this book sell in all grades for strong prices, you have to question whether it's scarcity driving the price, not the relative increase in popularity for the character.

I think BA 12 in 9.8 is a solid book, but proclamations about Harley being this character with awesome growth, she's going to be in movies and revolutionize the modern market are wildly overblown and premature.

First, we have not yet seen demand rising for this character's first appearance in ALL grades.

Second, her first ongoing series (remember that, when she was a "super hot character") got canceled.

Third, while she is a great character and I agree it's a possibility that she will have an expanded role at some point in time -- she has none right now. She's never been a major player in the DCU and never in the core mainstream Batman titles.

Fourth, BA 12 is selling better than NM 98 because there fewer of them in 9.8, not because Harley is somehow a more popular character than Deadpool, who is light years ahead in terms of having multiple titles and outselling most things.

Finally, while she certainly has a niche following, I do not see widespread appeal for her -- yet. Yes, we've had one auction and yes there's been a run up in price on this book in 9.8, but the frenzy surrounding this book on the boards is not well founded and until you start seeing this book sell in all grades for strong prices, you have to question whether it's scarcity driving the price, not the relative increase in popularity for the character.

Do you think her being a female character has some limitations. I was trying to think of another female character who's first appearance (in modern times) has had this big of an impact. I can't come up with one.

Do you think her being a female character has some limitations. I was trying to think of another female character who's first appearance (in modern times) has had this big of an impact. I can't come up with one.

They haven't been able to pull a Wonder Woman movie or t.v. show together yet. I don't think it has to do with her being female per se, because she'd only play a supporting role. First they have to reboot Batman, which will be likely different than whatever Affleck does in his Superman/Batman move. Then you have to wonder whether any new director will want to cast a Joker and a Harley in that movie. What are we talking about, 6 years away from now? Affleck is going to be in the movie in 2015.

So... this hype -- and I understand where it comes from -- is truly overblown. She's a cool popular niche character. She's getting a new series. She's very popular. But again, zero impact on the core DCU really (nothing of significance) a canceled series with a new reboot and no current animated series.

It's a good book in 9.8 -- but if you want to talk about the book or the fundamentals of the character, you have to look at the character across the board.

Lady Death? (shrug)

My only proclamation was that there is (prior to the most recent sales) not a modern book with better investment potential and you can include NM98 too. I today would not take 2 NM98 in 9.8 to 1 copy of BA12 in 9.8, this will eventually come 3-1 as NM98 is bound and gagged at 400 til eternity. Buy a NM 98 and resell it at auction when ever you wish, you will lose money. There is no future for that book without a block buster movie. I never claimed anything other than the BA12 cgc 9.8 has great potential. You can't give a better example with proof as you have just witnessed. I never claimed great potential for Harley herself. However I feel DC is optimistic about her and it's obvious and that only leads to more success for BA12 cgc 9.8 and the low population helps. The low populTion hasn't helped ASM 300 speaking of books stuck with nowhere to go. Another loser book for those who wish to make money. Avoid this dead end issue. I didn't just come around yesterday and I know zero about the DCU that's useless wasted garb. Just tell me the next BA12 on the horizon, without help of movie chatter. I want you to impress me.

My only proclamation was that there is (prior to the most recent sales) not a modern book with better investment potential and you can include NM98 too. I today would not take 2 NM98 in 9.8 to 1 copy of BA12 in 9.8, this will eventually come 3-1 as NM98 is bound and gagged at 400 til eternity. Buy a NM 98 and resell it at auction when ever you wish, you will lose money. There is no future for that book without a block buster movie. I never claimed anything other than the BA12 cgc 9.8 has great potential. You can't give a better example with proof as you have just witnessed. I never claimed great potential for Harley herself. However I feel DC is optimistic about her and it's obvious and that only leads to more success for BA12 cgc 9.8 and the low population helps. The low populTion hasn't helped ASM 300 speaking of books stuck with nowhere to go. Another loser book for those who wish to make money. Avoid this dead end issue. I didn't just come around yesterday and I know zero about the DCU that's useless wasted garb. Just tell me the next BA12 on the horizon, without help of movie chatter. I want you to impress me.

I guess I'm confused what you mean about investment potential. Nor do I understand your constant comparisons to NM98 and ASM300.

You make the point that if you buy a NM98 right now (I assume that you mean at the 9.8 $400 price point) that you will lose money. Are you saying if I buy a BA129.8 at the current price ($700+) that I won't lose money as well, that the book is still going to go up. I think for many of us that is pretty hard to believe that this book is a $1,000 book.

I can tell you that many dealers would disagree about NM98. They love that book, is sells good for them.

You are making a lot of proclamations on a book that has had 2 sales in the past 2 weeks. While I am not disagreeing with you (because you seem to take that very personal) I just think that for some of the folks that keep questioning your logic, it is because they have seen this before.

I remember when Valiant first came out. Harbinger 1 and Solar 10 were the flavor of the month and the potential seemed infinite. I'm sure when NM98 first spiked those fans would have said the same thing. I think those who question you are asking for you to keep some perspective, I think your too close to this one to truly be objective. I hope for your sake you are right (I know you already have one copy, and have another one in grading). But going back to your original point regarding ASM300 and NM98 books. While you may think those are "dead" issues, I would beg to differ and I'm sure dealers would beg to differ. When I look at GPA those books are still trending upward. While they may not be "investment potential" they are solid blue chip books. Your right they may not have much more value but I don't think they are going to drop that much either.

BA12 no question has legs. So what happens if they screw up the character altogether? if no movie is made? if her next series is cancelled?

I'm curious so where do you see this book

in 1 year? price point

after a movie announcement? price point

Over the summer month of 2014 expect the book on equal terms as WD 1. Now that does not mean it will be a 2000 book. I'm actually telling you WD 1 will drop below 1500 possibly to 1200 and I expect BA12 to be in that range or better. Nm98 and ASM 300 will remain where they are. Handicapped like a horse race after watching and studying for years.

Over the summer month of 2014 expect the book on equal terms as WD 1. Now that does not mean it will be a 2000 book. I'm actually telling you WD 1 will drop below 1500 possibly to 1200 and I expect BA12 to be in that range or better. Nm98 and ASM 300 will remain where they are. Handicapped like a horse race after watching and studying for years.

hope we are both around to see it.

just to have for my records

WD1 9.8 - BELOW $1500

BA12 9.8 AROUND $1200

ASM300 9.8 - $750

NM98 9.8 $400

I'm curious to know what the WD folks would say about your statement above? I will say you are bold in your predictions.hope we are both around to see it as I own a BA12 but not a WD1.

hope we are both around to see it.

just to have for my records

WD1 9.8 - BELOW $1500

BA12 9.8 AROUND $1200

ASM300 9.8 - $750

NM98 9.8 $400

I'm curious to know what the WD folks would say about your statement above? I will say you are bold in your predictions.hope we are both around to see it as I own a BA12 but not a WD1.

My reasoning for the WD dip is that over the past summer months a WD1 could have been had for 1675, 1700 and several in the 1700ish range. Past 2 years ive noticed a trend if you want to call it or a pattern of hot cycles of when WD1 heats up. That would be just as the season kicks off, the mid season break and then again when the season restarts back up in Feb. The book is struggling to break 2000 today and season 4 is about to kick off tomorrow. I predict a massive selloff during the mid season break. People are like sheep and its only so obvious that would be the best time to get the most money, however thats what all the sheep are planning i figure. I think the show can be good and this will still happen. I think only a fool carry a WD1 over this summer. Most would agree. Sell now and re-buy over the summer, but you better hurry. The dumpfest is coming and the market cant absorb the amount of WD1s. Forget about those 2500 days and gear up for the 1500s and worse. Potential? All tapped out.

Edited by Junkdrawer

As much as I am a fan of BA12, ASM 300 is a much better money maker for me as a dealer at shows. Basically, you put up a copy, it sells for a profit, then you put out another at s higher price and it sells, etc. I am williwng to buy NM copies of ASM 300 for up to $150 as I can get $200-$250 for them raw at shows. BA 12 is spikng now, but I am expecting a pull back on it once the new series hype dies down.

Edited by kimik

As much as I am a fan of BA12, ASM 300 is a much better money maker for me as a dealer at shows. Basically, you put up a copy, it sells for a profit, then you put out another at s higher price and it sells, etc. I am williwng to buy NM copies of ASM 300 for up to $150 as I can get $200-$250 for them raw at shows. BA 12 is spikng now, but I am expecting a pull back on it once the new series hype dies down.

I would guess the reason for this is the overall mass appeal of those two books vs one. And while there are a lot of copies of this book I would think that the ratio (books to buyers) is more favorable for those books vs BA12

Junk, did you mean that it was a better investment because you could still get that copies relatively cheap in raw compared to NM98 and ASM300?

There are more buyers for ASM 300 and NM 98, but there are less copies of BA 12. - I think what we are seeing with BA 12 is just a simple case of " collectors going Oh....I hadn't noticed this key book before".....We've all known about ASM 300 and NM 98 for years and years.

This is the honeymoon phase.....give it some time and see how it plays out before we start talking four figures for this book

While I am a huge DC guy and I especially love the Batman family, I think it's premature to say whether or not this book will have the impact of Venom and Deadpool. I am optimistic being the amount of interest in HQ from the female population, but I don't see too many of them plopping down big money for a comic book...That craziness seems to be a male dominated sickness :screwy:

Edited by comicartfan