• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

Over the summer month of 2014 expect the book on equal terms as WD 1. Now that does not mean it will be a 2000 book. I'm actually telling you WD 1 will drop below 1500 possibly to 1200 and I expect BA12 to be in that range or better. Nm98 and ASM 300 will remain where they are. Handicapped like a horse race after watching and studying for years.

hope we are both around to see it.

just to have for my records

WD1 9.8 - BELOW $1500

BA12 9.8 AROUND $1200

ASM300 9.8 - $750

NM98 9.8 $400

I'm curious to know what the WD folks would say about your statement above? I will say you are bold in your predictions.hope we are both around to see it as I own a BA12 but not a WD1.

My reasoning for the WD dip is that over the past summer months a WD1 could have been had for 1675, 1700 and several in the 1700ish range. Past 2 years ive noticed a trend if you want to call it or a pattern of hot cycles of when WD1 heats up. That would be just as the season kicks off, the mid season break and then again when the season restarts back up in Feb. The book is struggling to break 2000 today and season 4 is about to kick off tomorrow. I predict a massive selloff during the mid season break. People are like sheep and its only so obvious that would be the best time to get the most money, however thats what all the sheep are planning i figure. I think the show can be good and this will still happen. I think only a fool carry a WD1 over this summer. Most would agree. Sell now and re-buy over the summer, but you better hurry. The dumpfest is coming and the market cant absorb the amount of WD1s. Forget about those 2500 days and gear up for the 1500s and worse. Potential? All tapped out.

I actually generally agree with you about WD 1 dipping. I've never thought that book was all that sustainable and much more of a "fad" type book because of the t.v. show having some popularity. Once that wanes, so too will this book.

What do I think over time has better legs than BA 12? Actually, I'd put my money in terms of % of growth on things like TTT 44 (nightwing, a more established character in the DCU) and perhaps other first appearances. NM 98 could absolutely continue to grow and eventually outpace BA 12.

Don't get me wrong, I like BA 12 as a book. I like Harley as a character. But overnight success of incredible increase in prices without solid fundamentals are rarely sustainable. Let's see how long this price trend continues before it starts to drop off. I think Shuley had it right.

I actually generally agree with you about WD 1 dipping. I've never thought that book was all that sustainable and much more of a "fad" type book because of the t.v. show having some popularity. Once that wanes, so too will this book.

What do I think over time has better legs than BA 12? Actually, I'd put my money in terms of % of growth on things like TTT 44 (nightwing, a more established character in the DCU) and perhaps other first appearances. NM 98 could absolutely continue to grow and eventually outpace BA 12.

Don't get me wrong, I like BA 12 as a book. I like Harley as a character. But overnight success of incredible increase in prices without solid fundamentals are rarely sustainable. Let's see how long this price trend continues before it starts to drop off. I think Shuley had it right.

I think the difference with BA 12 when compared with the other books you mentioned is the relative scarcity of it in 9.8 combined with the fact that there are none graded higher. Also, most of the 9.8's seem to be in the hands of collectors, myself being one of them, as opposed to people looking to sell or turn a profit. Lately, you rarely see a 9.8 come up for sale. Even the people who may be inclined to sell are probably reluctant because they worry they may not be able to pick up another one later. There's been multiple threads in the "want to buy" section with people offering anywhere between $500-$700 for a 9.8 with no takers. I think the book has probably been undervalued for quite some time and now the demand is just beginning to far outweigh the supply of high grade copies.

As one of the guys around here looking to buy a BA#12 (CGC 9.8), I can tell you that Shap is completely right that there is almost no one looking to sell this comic. Even at prices as high as $700. As long as demand and interest continues to grow (and not wane), this book will have to go up in value in order to get more 9.8 owners to come out and play. If one of them desires some other KEY book and can start to view their BA#12's as a means to get an even more expensive book, they may start to go up for sale at a more frequent pace but ONLY at big time $$$. My two cents...

I don't know. I found a 9.8 candidate this weekend at a local show. I bought two raws recently and I would call one a 9.6 and the other a solid 9.8.

Once I've started looking for any modern, I've never had any trouble finding it. There is more demand, but it hasn't lasted very long at this price point, so I'd love to see it be more sustainable for awhile. It was a $300 book for many years.

If people start hoarding them and only bleeding them out occasionally, yes it can create some price inflation -- but of course, I'm not sure that shows scarcity. There are still a bunch sitting in copper collections.

We'll see. I'm not rooting against the book, I'm just a bit skeptical on it's true "heat" and whether it's sustainable.

I have been on the hunt for this book for a half a decade and my data base says I sold 14 of the 9.8's and flipped a dozen more, 27 copies in the past 5 years. A bunch of the sales in 2009 were mine as I had a catch of them in the dollar bins. I also had the than record of $390.00 in July.

Very few knew this book was collectable a 3-5 years ago. Than the big swoop came through and dealer inventories were stripped of copies by savvy collectors and clowns like myself as they were caught off guard and sold for a buck or two.

The cats out of the bag and the book has been on a majority of dealers radar for the past few years and copies have drifted to the convention walls.

Inventories have cleared and this book is no longer plentiful, I saw 4 copies at NY and bought only one, none were better than 8.5. There were a lot more copies available at Chicago.

Although with the $700+ sale hitting the Bay, the tree's will shake harder and more copies will come out of the woodwork.

Its going to be an interesting ride now through January, as a new price scale will be established.

I have been on the hunt for this book for a half a decade and my data base says I sold 14 of the 9.8's and flipped a dozen more, 27 copies in the past 5 years. A bunch of the sales in 2009 were mine as I had a catch of them in the dollar bins. I also had the than record of $390.00 in July.

Very few knew this book was collectable a 3-5 years ago. Than the big swoop came through and dealer inventories were stripped of copies by savvy collectors and clowns like myself as they were caught off guard and sold for a buck or two.

The cats out of the bag and the book has been on a majority of dealers radar for the past few years and copies have drifted to the convention walls.

Inventories have cleared and this book is no longer plentiful, I saw 4 copies at NY and bought only one, none were better than 8.5. There were a lot more copies available at Chicago.

Although with the $700+ sale hitting the Bay, the tree's will shake harder and more copies will come out of the woodwork.

Its going to be an interesting ride now through January, as a new price scale will be established.

Interesting report (thumbs u

If prices on BA12 continue to rise or even hold steady, is there any chance that the other early Harley appearances in Batman Adventures that predate her appearance in regular continuity could rise?

I believe they will absolutely get dragged up with BA12. It will always be the key book, along with the Alex Ross book, but the others will be dragged up, much like the first five issues of WD. As soon as #1 was priced out in 9.8 for some folks, they started going after 2, 3, 4 etc. and those issues experienced a big pop in price.

If prices on BA12 continue to rise or even hold steady, is there any chance that the other early Harley appearances in Batman Adventures that predate her appearance in regular continuity could rise?
It seems the crowd favorites are BA12, batman:Harley Quinn and Madlove. #1 of her regular series is popular as well as the last. Pretty much across the board anything Harley is selling. Comics with her on the cover are more in demand than without.

I found a NM Batman Adventures Annual #1 (3rd app. Harley) at NYCC for $5. Minutes later, saw the same book in the same condition for $50 and $70 on dealer walls. (Don't think they were having any luck at those prices tho.) hm

That's correct... As per juggernaut, it was 1) BA #12, 2) Mad Love, 3) BA Annual #1, 4) BA #28.

Agreed. Still not sure why BA #28 gets no respect. It is her 2nd appearance, correct?

... Her 4th appearance, according to the linked timeline.

That's correct... As per juggernaut, it was 1) BA #12, 2) Mad Love, 3) BA Annual #1, 4) BA #28.

Agreed. Still not sure why BA #28 gets no respect. It is her 2nd appearance, correct?

... Her 4th appearance, according to the linked timeline.

Sorry I will make the changes so there is no confusion. Batman Adventures Annual #1 was published September 1994.

Yes

Ahead of curve, on the curve, behind the curve