• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

Batman Adventures #14 sold about as many copies of Valiant Reader.

Valiant Reader was around 225,000.

It's hard to see why Batman Adventures #12 wouldn't be very close to #14.

Great info, but what is the source for your first sentence?

#129 and #130

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.comics.misc/ua52laz7cdg

So BA #14 sells 225,000 copies and 16 months later it's selling 40,000 copies? Helluva drop off but I'll take your word for it.

Jim

#129 and #130

Okay...I'll show my stupidity publically, that list doesn't show how many units were actually sold. :sorry:

Jim

#129 and #130

Okay...I'll show my stupidity publically, that list doesn't show how many units were actually sold. :sorry:

Jim

:gossip: Valiantman's got the numbers for Valiants . . . :gossip:

So X-Men #306 was selling 1.3 million books approx, to come up with the 225,000 mark?

Jim

hm

Good point!

I'm using the Valiant Reader as the comparison because it is beside BA #14 on the list, but it's possible that Valiant Reader was for sale for multiple months and the Sept. 1993 number might be only a portion of those 225K.

So, I'll use the other Valiant books (regular monthly) to estimate the value of the index in the Sept. 1993 list.

I get 5,250 copies per index point using the average of 10 regular monthly issues from the list.

That puts X-Men #306 at 525,000 copies... and Batman Adventures #14 at 89,250 copies.

Doing a similar calculation for Batman Adventures #15 and #16 results in:

BA #15 = 87,000

BA #16 = 83,250

So... using these numbers from 1993, it's likely that Batman Adventures #12 sold around 100,000 (most likely in the 92,000 to 96,000 range).

These would be direct editions only... and the newsstand numbers would be separate.

Here it is:

And yes I'm quoting myself from a few weeks back in this very thread...

According to comiccron, whose first entry is January 1995, Batman Adventures #30 sold 44,000 copies. 32k though Diamond and 12k through Capital City. So as an educated guess the direct print run for Batman Adventures is 50k...does that sound reasonable?

Jim

As I stated earlier, I think #12 would be [perhaps significantly] higher because....

1) Print runs in 1993 (#12) in general were a lot higher than in 1995 (#30) as the modern comic market started to plummet (So #28, and perhaps Annual 1, may indeed have those lower print figures)

2) The above number does not take into account newstand copies. This is the type of book (kid friendly, G rated) that would be more likely to be at newstands. In 1993 there were still plenty of newstand/candy shop/7-11 type venues to buy comics.

I see plenty of #7 - #13 (but not 12) in dollar boxes, that's all I'm saying. I get all excited when I see BAs...but then get let down...

OK, I see valiant came to the same conclusion using a more scientific methodology than I did...

So, basically, my guess is that it had a typical circulation for a 2d or 3d tier DC book in 1993?

I really need to frigging find one of these.

OK, I see valiant came to the same conclusion using a more scientific methodology than I did...

So, basically, my guess is that it had a typical circulation for a 2d or 3d tier DC book in 1993?

I really need to frigging find one of these.

Why stop at one? :baiting:

So X-Men #306 was selling 1.3 million books approx, to come up with the 225,000 mark?

Jim

hm

Good point!

I'm using the Valiant Reader as the comparison because it is beside BA #14 on the list, but it's possible that Valiant Reader was for sale for multiple months and the Sept. 1993 number might be only a portion of those 225K.

So, I'll use the other Valiant books (regular monthly) to estimate the value of the index in the Sept. 1993 list.

I get 5,250 copies per index point using the average of 10 regular monthly issues from the list.

That puts X-Men #306 at 525,000 copies... and Batman Adventures #14 at 89,250 copies.

BA #15 = 87,000

BA #16 = 83,250

So... using these numbers from 1993, it's likely that Batman Adventures #12 sold around 100,000 (most likely in the 92,000 to 96,000 range).

These would be direct editions only... and the newsstand numbers would be separate.

Seems like a reasonable estimation of BA #12 being an 90K - 100K book. Nice work.

If that is the indeed the case, then the Costco packs make me wonder how many copies were actually bought in stores in the end. hm

Jim

hm

Good point!

BA #15 = 87,000

BA #16 = 83,250

Seems like a reasonable estimation of BA #12 being an 90K - 100K book. Nice work.

If that is the indeed the case, then the Costco packs make me wonder how many copies were actually bought in stores in the end. hm

It was more than 90-100K for BA #12. The Costcos around here had that particular brick pack by the pallet due to the Superman issues. Those packs were responsible for a large number of the reprints for Death of Superman, Funeral for a Friend, and Knightfall. Every month they'd get 2 or 3 pallets of the newest DC packs because of the media attention those books had received.

Does anyone think that BA 12 will start seeing a flood in the market now that prices are sky high? In a few months prices will stabilize in the $300 range for a 9.8?

I know that there are people sitting on quite a few copies of the book. lol

Does anyone think that BA 12 will start seeing a flood in the market now that prices are sky high? In a few months prices will stabilize in the $300 range for a 9.8?

This book in 9.8 has been in the $300 range for awhile. It had been on my radar to get until I finally picked up a 9.8 this summer for under $300. I don't see 9.8 copies dropping back to that price range again. The 9.8 copies seem to be mostly in the hands of collectors at this point. The fact that even the last couple of sales that broke $700 did not spark more listings seems to further support this theory. However, the recent sales should result in more submissions to CGC and probably from people looking to sell, which should, in turn, result in a new average GPA albeit significantly higher than the previous price point of $300. Several people have noted that they are sitting on 9.8 candidates, so it will be interesting to see in the next coming months how many additional 9.8 copies surface on the census.

I M sitting on two raw copies but they are not 9.8 candidates. Both of which came from collection of 10 copper long boxes I paid a whopping $200. They are definitely out there waiting to be found.

As a side note, Just this past weekend I found 4 copies of next men 21 - first full app of hellboy in the $1 box and three of them are at least a 9.8.