• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

I was fortunate enough to pick up these this summer for a grand total of $12 - one BA 12 and the Mad Love in a collection at $4/book and a second BA 12 from a LCS for $4 in the bins.

I have another copy of Mad Love and BA Annual 1 in another box that I snagged in a Clink lot last winter for cheap as well.

BadmanAdventures12groupshot_zpsdfe26384.jpg

Edited by kimik

I found a NM Batman Adventures Annual #1 (3rd app. Harley) at NYCC for $5. Minutes later, saw the same book in the same condition for $50 and $70 on dealer walls. (Don't think they were having any luck at those prices tho.) hm

It's still a $15 NM book on ebay

So that's why there's a copy listed in our selling forums for $84. hm

I found a NM Batman Adventures Annual #1 (3rd app. Harley) at NYCC for $5. Minutes later, saw the same book in the same condition for $50 and $70 on dealer walls. (Don't think they were having any luck at those prices tho.) hm

It's still a $15 NM book on ebay

So that's why there's a copy listed in our selling forums for $84. hm

Some people just can get in front of a curve lol

I am still bummed that a few conventions ago, a guy was picking through a few long boxes next to me and he pulled 5 copies (5!!!!!!!!!) from a $5 (5 for $20) box. They were all 9.0 to 9.4. I asked him for the lowest graded copy (probably an 9.0 to 9.2) and he said 'There is no way that this is on your list.' I showed him my short list (BA12, Catwoman 51, Birds of Prey 8, Batman 0 blanks, and a few other random issues) and he just said 'well that sucks, get here sooner next time.' After that, I have not seen one for less that $90 raw (and none were 9.6/9.8 candidates.)

I did decide during my current recreation cover sketch op to do one on a Tec blank. I'll get a proper scan soon. Such a great cover with clean lines and colors.

I'll find an affordable copy someday....

VXucVqYm.jpg

I am still bummed that a few conventions ago, a guy was picking through a few long boxes next to me and he pulled 5 copies (5!!!!!!!!!) from a $5 (5 for $20) box. They were all 9.0 to 9.4. I asked him for the lowest graded copy (probably an 9.0 to 9.2) and he said 'There is no way that this is on your list.' I showed him my short list (BA12, Catwoman 51, Birds of Prey 8, Batman 0 blanks, and a few other random issues) and he just said 'well that sucks, get here sooner next time.' After that, I have not seen one for less that $90 raw (and none were 9.6/9.8 candidates.)

I did decide during my current recreation cover sketch op to do one on a Tec blank. I'll get a proper scan soon. Such a great cover with clean lines and colors.

VXucVqYm.jpg

What a dbag - why did he ask if it was on your list if he was going to take 5 copies regardless

I think he was thinking that I just saw him grab multiples and wanted in on the action without knowing what they are. The fact he asked and I proved to him that it was a book on my list is what really put me in a bad mood.

This was the show that I found 9 copies of a book (for $1 a piece) and sold them all for $60+ each and funded my trip to SDCC last year. So it all worked out for me.

Edited by Mangbus

VXucVqYm.jpg

What a dbag - why did he ask if it was on your list if he was going to take 5 copies regardless

-------------------------

The guy was a do**u**che, but OTOH, you were basically asking him if he would be nice enough to hand you $70-$100...if I were to receive such a request from a stranger I too would say no, I would phrase the response differently: "I'm behind on my mortgage (always true because I take full advantage of my 16 day grace period) and have taken a 50% pay-cut since my last job (unfortunately true...I'll probably be 50 by the time I make what I was making at 31...) and have two kids at home to support...". But it can't hurt to ask...when "27" was released it was a hot book...I grabbed like 4 copies off the rack (the last 4) and some guy was whining, so I gave him one of them (though, to be honest, it was more that the shop employees were trying to keep the peace so I obliged them (not to mention, the assistant manager has, on occasion, pulled a book out of his own personal/speculation file/pile for me at cover price when they ran out and he had multiples)...

given his reaction though i might have told the dealer --- "you know, those are going for $100 a pop don't you?" and ruined it for everyone (if the dealer refused to honor the 5 for $20 after that)... that's the spitefull blob.

---------------

This really is a book you can find in dollar boxes out there...I mean, I haven't, but it is the type of book a shop/dealer would overlook. I picked up the annual and #28 at a shop that doesn't do back issues, but they just happened to have a bunch of batman adventures out on the racks in their kid section at cover price...not to mention a 9.8 quality copy of the Alex Ross cover book out of a dollar box at a shop that does do back issues! (I think it was like $6-12 in the guide or something at the time)

Edited by the blob

I know it is out there. I always get bored and go through way too many long boxes at shows and end up finding gems. To be clear, I knew that it was a longshot when I asked. I expected a no. I didn't expect the guy to respond the way he did.

Mangbus:

What kind of copy are you looking for? CGC or Raw? Grade? I have 3 graded copies (9.4, 9.6 and 9.8) and could maybe part with one, but as you know, they are not cheap. I acquired them all in the last 2 months so my costs in are not sub $5.

If interested, PM me.

Mangbus:

What kind of copy are you looking for? CGC or Raw? Grade? I have 3 graded copies (9.4, 9.6 and 9.8) and could maybe part with one, but as you know, they are not cheap. I acquired them all in the last 2 months so my costs in are not sub $5.

If interested, PM me.

It's all good BD. I'll find a VF/NM copy in a dollar box one of these days! Have to have something to search for at shows.

yupsters, no mention of HQ in BA as late as the 2010-11 edition of OPG..but the irony is that on the NEXT page (410), Mad Love, which is the cartoon character origin, is listed at $24!!! and the next page, p. 411, Batman: Harley Quinn is pictured, noted as the first appearance in DC continuity and priced at a whopping $9 ($3 over cover price) and on p. 615, Harley Quinn #1 is priced at $6 (also $3+ over cover).....

so how do the geniuses at OPG price the ORIGIN issue for the cartoon character at $24 in 2010 (which was about right then) and have the first appearance at cover price and not even noted!!!!