• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CELEBRATE THE DOUBLE COVERS
22 22

2,983 posts in this topic

Wow, cool double covers fellows.. Just a couple of questions about them since I've never owned one yet.. But, how much is the price difference between a double cover and a regular single covered book? Is there a significant difference in the value? Does it vary between GA, SA, BA, etc.? Also, when CGC'ed, do they take the front cover's condition and give it that grade or do they avg. the 2 covers out or take the double cover's condition's grade? Sorry if these have been answered in previous posts. Thanks!

Here is my answer to the question in a previous post. The only amendment I will make to this statement is that now that a CGC 9.8 ASM 238 goes for $1500, I *really* can't see it going for 25x ($36,500?!)

In my experience....it depends. For books that are highly sought after, you may be able to expect larger premiums. Batman/Detective Comics and Spider-Mans usually fetch pretty high premiums. However, I've noticed that books that normally command a large dollar amount do not command a very large premium percentage-wise.

For example, that ASM 280 that Terry recently purchased (a lower grade, non-key) for $74.00 is probably 25-50 times what a normal one would have sold for on eBay. However, a book like the CGC 9.8 ASM 238, which features the first appearance of Hobgoblin is not finding any bidders at only $829 on eBay. This book routinely sells for over $500 normally. This is a premium of less than 2x!

Imagine a 25x multiple on a $500 book! Paying $12500 for a double cover ASM #238 is pure insanity! :insane:

As for your friend, you can probably expect a nice premium for a double cover X-Men #1, just not a 25x premium! If he can get 3x GPA, he should consider himself lucky.

They take the best cover as well as an overall grade. See the hulk which had two 9.0+ covers but overall got an 8.5 due to tan pages. I think the price is based on the comic with a little more than doubling of value. Also, if an issue is a double cover in many cases it means that there may be multiple double cover issues out there. Tag on a 30 or 35 cent variant (see a Red Sonja) and its a sweet book.

I can think of a few high end double covers such as the Green Lantern #1 (GA) and the X-men 41 CGC 9.9 (outer was 9.8) and a 9.8 ASM 238.

Then there are the triple+ covers which get an even greater premium.

I'm sure it didn't cost that much.....

It was a fair deal. pkw even offered free shipping (thumbs u

In retrospect I think it was a great deal for Mr. Moon, but I am all about selling off my collection, and I want happy customers.

To be certain of his satisfaction, I packed it extra well by sandwiching it between two moldy copies of Hulk 181!

Can I get some pricing guidance on this book?? The 2x covers are just so rare, its hard to figure out a fair price before I send 'em out into the market. Thanks boardies!!

Phantom Stranger #29 (1974). Double cover: outer cover 9.0/9.2; inner cover 9.4/(9.6?). White pages.

img360.jpg