• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tecs 1-26 In Grade -- The Quest Is Finally Over

546 posts in this topic

A board member asked if I could post scans of the Lost Valley copies that showed the labels, so I've re-scanned them with my HP Scanjet 8250. Unfortunately, the quality of that larger scanner is lacking because there is always a reflective glare. Nevertheless, here they are:

136895.jpg.07dbe97956b58dc0204ddfd09b8dc99f.jpg

136896.jpg.86113442cee60e8c7de15c4b48bef7b8.jpg

136897.jpg.af7ac65270da64c44645639efbe4b9f7.jpg

A board member asked if I could post scans of the Lost Valley copies that showed the labels, so I've re-scanned them with my HP Scanjet 8250. Unfortunately, the quality of that larger scanner is lacking because there is always a reflective glare. Nevertheless, here they are:

Since you are so accommodating to requests, how about scanning them raw? (:

lol

:o Bring your tools to SD and we'll have an sacentaur crack-out party!

:banana: Can't wait!!!

SlabCrackTools.jpg

SlabCrackTools.jpg

Won't need all that stuff, adam - I can crack a slab with a toothpick.

Incredible books...you are very privileged to own them, sir.

SlabCrackTools.jpg

Won't need all that stuff, adam - I can crack a slab with a toothpick.

Sure. But where's the fun in that. :kidaround:

I can't quite read between the lines so I have to ask... You are not serious, are you P?

No, this collection will stay entombed for now. The slabs keep the books safe from my pawing hands.

equilibrium restored ...whew!

The #10 is the Lost Valley copy, which is a CGC 8.5 that tops the census. The Church collection also included a nice copy of #10, but no one knows its whereabouts.

The cover is classic Flessel. Although it's tough to see without enlarging the scan, Flessel even drew stubble on the chin of the driver.

136908.jpg.92c79f381f9b25b06f698c5fab9a06da.jpg

136909.jpg.dac170aeff7c0848c04116213d2faafc.jpg

And with Off White, don't much of the Lost Valley have Cream light tan?

Most are off-white, but several of the earliest books are c-ow. Very few tans.

As can be seen in this thread, the Lost Valley pre-hero Detectives were second only to the Church issues in terms of quality.

This next pedigree copy is somewhat unusual. The Windy City pedigree (discovered by Moondog) is recognized as a large collection of #1 issues from the 30's and 40's. What many collectors don't realize is that a very small handful of the books in the collection are not first issues. This Detective 6 (CGC 6.5) is one of those outliers.

Very pleased to see a Windy City in your collection, Peter. I was actually hoping you had the 1 which was a strong fine. Besides the 1 and 6, there was a 3, two copies of 12 and a 19 in the collection.

As an aside, I originally graded the 6 as a VG based on page quality.

I must say, this is what comic book collecting at its highest levels is all about. My hat is off to you! (thumbs u

With the church copy being a NM+ on the list, it must be an amazing book! You would think a book like that would be easy to spot if it were out in the open. My guess is an old timer has had it for the last 30+ years.

#11 is one of the best covers in the run. Flessel's attention to detail (look at the intricate shadows on the men's faces and clothing, as well as the wall) was unique for 1930's comic book artists. And the dramatic colors make the cover pop.

The Church copy was graded fine. This non-pedigree 7.5 is the top census copy.

136916.jpg.53dc8b981c5c95de538bf0d9e6a45e5d.jpg