• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tecs 1-26 In Grade -- The Quest Is Finally Over

546 posts in this topic

Is 14 less common? I don't remember seeing that one very often.

In high grade all are uncommon but that issue does show up.

I don't think the scan does the book justice. It's a big beautiful copy that looks like it was just plucked from the newsstand. :cloud9:

I don't think the scan does the book justice. It's a big beautiful copy that looks like it was just plucked from the newsstand. :cloud9:

I guess the incredible quality of Peter's copy makes it look like a cover I had never seen before. I know I've seen copies of 14, but obviously never like that.

I guess the incredible quality of Peter's copy makes it look like a cover I had never seen before. I know I've seen copies of 14, but obviously never like that.

The last time I recall looking at Peter's run, I thought it was one of the most impressive covers. I was not expecting that to be the case but then I've never had a chance to go through a complete high grade run.

Since the 26-book run took 20 years to acquire, I'm posting it over 20 days. The second half of the run starts today. With one exception, the last 13 issues are all in the vf range or better. 10 of them are pedigrees.

The #14 is one of the first two Church Tecs I acquired more than two decades ago. Once again, Flessel's attention to detail was impressive. He pain-stakingly drew the grain in the wood flooring and the patterns in the G-Man's wing tip shoes.

Oh, that is VERY nice. I wanted the Billy Wright copy pretty badly, but got sidetracked. An excellent cover, one of my favorites from the early run. Is there anything better in comicland than an over-sized early DC in pristine shape? I think not.

I agree.

I really like the use of light and shadows in his covers. Especially when a single light source is used to illuminate an expression, like in 14 and the Shuster Siegel cover on 8, makes for some very dramatic art.

I often feel pretty jaded because so many great books are shown on the boards (sometimes repeatedly), to the point that I feel like I've seen even many rare books many times.

However, I'm seeing some books in this run that I've either never seen before or seen so infrequently that I'm not sure if I've seen them before. This is just a great run, with lots of really cool covers that have most definitely not been over-exposed to us jaded masses.

I often feel pretty jaded because so many great books are shown on the boards (sometimes repeatedly), to the point that I feel like I've seen even many rare books many times.

However, I'm seeing some books in this run that I've either never seen before or seen so infrequently that I'm not sure if I've seen them before. This is just a great run, with lots of really cool covers that have most definitely not been over-exposed to us jaded masses.

Agreed!

Thanks Tim. Perhaps this will entice you to come to SD Comic-Con this year so you can see them in person? :wishluck:

And thanks again to everyone else for all the kind words of appreciation. It makes the many years of strained patience and frustration that went into this quest even more worth it.

Peter

I acquired this next book at the same time as the Church Tec #14 way back when. Whenever I am asked to list my favorite books, this is always one of them. Flessel's depiction of a thief looking up in surprise as he is caught red-handed by the person reflected in the mirror is a concept that was copied by many other comic artists, such as Bernard Bailey in his classic More Fun 65 cover. This issue also has an ad for Action #1.

Here is the Church Tec #15:

137059.jpg.79877f539ceae0538887a230cfaa9b59.jpg

I love that cover...and I hate that I didn't act faster on your under copy.

A big regret :cry:

I acquired this next book at the same time as the Church Tec #14 way back when. Whenever I am asked to list my favorite books, this is always one of them. Flessel's depiction of a thief looking up in surprise as he is caught red-handed by the person reflected in the mirror is a concept that was copied by many other comic artists, such as Bernard Bailey in his classic More Fun 65 cover. This issue also has an ad for Action #1.

A gem. :luhv:

What a gorgeous copy. My 2nd favorite Detective cover.

What a gorgeous copy. My 2nd favorite Detective cover.

Its a great cover and a a fantastic copy.