• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tecs 1-26 In Grade -- The Quest Is Finally Over

546 posts in this topic

One thing this thread is doing is making me appreciate Flessel`s covers even more than I already did. (worship)

Flessel's cover art on Detectives 7-18 is a series of one masterpiece after another. I don't think that there was another artist that compared with him in the 1937-1938 time-frame.

Do you know where the Church #8 is? Your copy is incredible!

I don't, and I've never heard of anyone having seen it. There was no #8 listed in Chuck's 1977 MH catalog, but that doesn't mean that the collection didn't have one. Was it ever offered in one of the Christie's auctiions? Perhaps someone who has all of the old Christie's catalogs can chime in.

One thing this thread is doing is making me appreciate Flessel`s covers even more than I already did. (worship)

Flessel's cover art on Detectives 7-18 is a series of one masterpiece after another. I don't think that there was another artist that compared with him in the 1937-1938 time-frame.

I don't, and I've never heard of anyone having seen it. There was no #8 listed in Chuck's 1977 MH catalog, but that doesn't mean that the collection didn't have one. Was it ever offered in one of the Christie's auctiions? Perhaps someone who has all of the old Christie's catalogs can chime in.

The Detective Comics #8 MH sold a long time ago in Sotheby's.

1992 Sale. No distributor coded. Listed as vf-80. Sold for 4125.

I hate going back to that catalog -- one of the most depressing ones that a comic collector of that vintage can ever read. :eek:

I hate going back to that catalog -- one of the most depressing ones that a comic collector of that vintage can ever read. :eek:

Thanks for the info West and AS.

Were the MH #18 and #22 listed in the original catalog? I remember Burrel having those and he was the first to buy stuff. The books he bought were never listed in the catalogs. I don't remember him having the 8 but if he had the 18 the 8 would be a logical companion.

I also have the Lost Valley copy of this issue. Although it is only a CGC 7.5, it looks every bit as nice as the 9.0:

Who the hell has high grade doubles of Detective 8? lol

Amazing.

Were the MH #18 and #22 listed in the original catalogue? I remember Burrel having those and he was the first to buy stuff. The books he bought were never listed in the catalogues. I don't remember him having the 8 but if he had the 18 the 8 would be a logical companion.

18 is not on the list. 22 is. The 26 isn't -- could that be what you were thinking of?

The 8 is on the original list.

Were the MH #18 and #22 listed in the original catalogue? I remember Burrel having those and he was the first to buy stuff. The books he bought were never listed in the catalogues. I don't remember him having the 8 but if he had the 18 the 8 would be a logical companion.

18 is not on the list. 22 is. The 26 isn't -- could that be what you were thinking of?

The 8 is on the original list.

No, he definitely had the 22. I comtemplated buying it from him. He also had 39 and 40 and offered them (18, 22, 39, 40) to me for $400 each. I bought the 39. It seemed like the right decision at the time. Man I'd love to be able to go back in time. Oh well, I sold the 39 a few years later for $2000 and it ended up with Dave Anderson.

He also had 39 and 40 and offered them (18, 22, 39, 40) to me for $400 each. I bought the 39. It seemed like the right decision at the time. Man I'd love to be able to go back in time. Oh well, I sold the 39 a few years later for $2000 and it ended up with Dave Anderson.
If you had purchased and kept the 18 you would have more friends. (:

He also had 39 and 40 and offered them (18, 22, 39, 40) to me for $400 each. I bought the 39. It seemed like the right decision at the time. Man I'd love to be able to go back in time. Oh well, I sold the 39 a few years later for $2000 and it ended up with Dave Anderson.
If you had purchased and kept the 18 you would have more friends. (:

If I'd purchased and kept the 18 I would RULE THE WORLD!

BWAHAHAHAHO...ho...hum....uummmm.... yeah