• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poof !! And that's that !

264 posts in this topic

I have said it before and I will say it again:

Threadcrapping to discuss a price / product in someone's sales thread on the boards should not be punishable.

They did not pay for the space.

It should be considered a space just like a flea market / garage sale.

You should be free to say publicly to the seller and your friends (fellow board members) that the item is priced too high.

I've seen plenty of 'great deals', 'below GPA!', 'I wish I had the money' posts in sales threads.

Why can't there be the converse?

'Not a great deal', 'I saw it cheaper elsewhere'.

That is a key point in all this. (thumbs u

What about decency?

Do you go to someone's garage sale and tell everyone who walks up that the seller has horrendous prices and they smell like a donkey's coin purse?

If there is something fraudulent, if there is an abuse of the system, if there is something blatant that we as a community feel needs to be addressed, it usually occurs. Interjecting personal opinions in someone else's thread is a dooshey move. It also opens up the door, for what can become, a slippery slope of sabatoging for profit, further clique paranoia, mod meltdowns and the other plethora of unforeseen consequences that arise from giving anonymous comic nerds free reign.

Also, we should keep a list of pro krappers, so when they sell their junk, everyone can inform their potential buyers about better pricing, acurate grade, and any other thing they don't like in general.

*this isn't directed at any single member

I'm not suggesting that so-called 'thread-crapping' be encouraged, only that sometimes sellers need to be reminded that selling here is a privilege not a right.

Show respect to your potential buyers. Show respect to this community by not taking a snake oil salesman approach to pimping your wares.

Be honest and upfront.

It took a long time to build this current community. It's a great place. I feel buyers have the right to call out those who attempt to abuse it.

2c

I agree with you 100%. My issue arises from doing it publicly. I don't like that there are a high number of threads that are started by members who have been here for 2 days or have 14 post counts. I really like the community aspect of these boards and I think it's balls when members new or old simply pimp their books.

I just choose to keep my opinions to myself. These boards are populated, I would dare say the vast majority, with hardcore collectors. They are detectives in crack and BS grade bumps, shill bidding and every other facet of deceit. On the price side, with Overstreet, EBay, CLink, GPA, Heritage .... there is usually always an outcome of a book not selling if it's mispriced.

I personally get upset that people sell books that are released within a year for 100x cover. I want to inform the buying public that this occurred in the 90's as well, I have 38 foil cover variants to prove it.

Caveat Emptor

My issue arises from doing it publicly.

This is where the problem arises.

Have you ever sent a PM to a seller about an issue you have with their marketplace thread? Rarely does it go well. Inevitably most members just decide its not worth the hassle and just move on without saying anything. Rinse and repeat a few hundred times, and suspect sellers just keep on doing what they're doing ad nauseaum.

Most members can fend for themselves, but there are new members/lurkers everyday. These collectors may not have the experience/knowledge to identify the gypsies, tramps and thieves.

This is a community. This is a place where 'buyer beware' should no longer be the standard.

My issue arises from doing it publicly.

This is where the problem arises.

Have you ever sent a PM to a seller about an issue you have with their marketplace thread? Rarely does it go well. Inevitably most members just decide its not worth the hassle and just move on without saying anything. Rinse and repeat a few hundred times, and suspect sellers just keep on doing what they're doing ad nauseaum.

Most members can fend for themselves, but there are new members/lurkers everyday. These collectors may not have the experience/knowledge to identify the gypsies, tramps and thieves.

This is a community. This is a place where 'buyer beware' should no longer be the standard.

To clarify, because I do agree with your premise, just not the method, I don't think that a seller should be allowed to have a fraudulent or deceitful thread. Pricing isn't regulated in a free market, the market dictates the price. If a seller wants to ask 5 times GPA, it's within his rights to do so. Will it sell, most likely no. Is it wrong to ask a higher price and leave yourself wiggle room for negotiation? What if the book is exceptional, or has sentimental value, or they anticipate it's value will increase, for whatever reason? Criticizing becuase of a price disagreement, in my opinion, opens the door for too much shenanigans.

Threadcrapping to discuss a price / product in someone's sales thread on the boards should not be punishable.

You should be free to say publicly to the seller and your friends (fellow board members) that the item is priced too high.

I've seen plenty of 'great deals', 'below GPA!', 'I wish I had the money' posts in sales threads.

What about decency?

Do you go to someone's garage sale and tell everyone who walks up that the seller has horrendous prices and they smell like a donkey's coin purse?

re: prices - I would publicly discuss them with the seller and others within earshot would be able to hear me.

re: smelling - No, but I would tell my friends afterward.

Question for the brain trust -

Do you / have you ever discussed a retail store's / product's pricing (not just limited to comics) amongst your friends?

In the store, while shopping? On the phone, while checking out?

What about decency?

re: prices - I would publicly discuss them with the seller and others within earshot would be able to hear me.

re: smelling - No, but I would tell my friends afterward.

Question for the brain trust -

Do you / have you ever discussed a retail store's / product's pricing (not just limited to comics) amongst your friends?

In the store, while shopping? On the phone, while checking out?

So you're telling me that you can't make the distinction between being in Bloomingdales and telling your three friends, whom you're walking with, that $125 for an Ike Behar tie is a ripoff, and telling a member of these boards, whose running a sales thread, in writing, that every other person who clicks into sees, that his books are overpriced.?

That's like standing in front of the tie section, every hour the store is open, indefinitely, and telling anyone who walks by that the tie is way overpriced.

Who needs to hear your opinion? If it's too expensive click out and don't buy from them. Everyone doesn't need to know that you feel their prices are too high.

I was working on my meme masterpiece. :(

Wouldn't that be a memesterpiece?

I was going to go with "Mastermeme" but that sounds like a 1965 Marvel Comics villain.

Either of those is funnier than anything he could come up with.

Says the member who contributes nothing more than a popcorn graemlin and RMA balloon knot kissing.

Point your hardon elsewhere Francis. (thumbs u

:popcorn:

@: umyeahwhatevers

If unlimited threadkrapping was allowed it would lead to blood feuds. Once member A did it to member B, then member B would feel obliged to do it to member A every time they had a sales thread. The sales forums would turn into Phil's parking lot.

Now some small kraps are allowed like: "Your scans are too small." "Would please clarify your international shipping policies."