• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rat Queens - Kurtis J. Wiebe, Meg Dejmal, John Upchurch
2 2

1,617 posts in this topic

Just loving this book so far. (thumbs u

+1

I just got mine today and was happily surprised. I had very high expectations for this series and when I have in the past, most series have disappointed. This book crushes it. I already care what happens to each of the 4 leading ladies and that usually takes a minute. Betty is part Sherlock Holmes, part Velma from Scooby Doo and 100% adorable yet badass. Vi seems to be the rebel of the bunch. Hannah appears to be the leader and I haven't quite pegged Dee Dee but still like her.

This issue had less jokes, which I thought I would miss, but a better story than the first 2 issues and I really didn't think it could get much better. The art style. Is exceptional. There is a splash page that really stands out but it is high quality from start to finish. This is easily becoming a top 5 read for me.

I love this book on so many levels. 1. Kurtis can actually write fantasy story that doesn't make me (a past D&D-er) feel like some sort of social misfit for liking the genre, 2. there are women in the book, and yet, they're actual characters - not 2-dimensional sex object (like women are often portrayed in fantasy books), 3. it still manages to be funny in the laughing WITH you sort of way, and 4. there's also some time taken to develop the characters as opposed to dealing in shorthand stereotypes.

And let's be honest here: Kurtis hit gold with his Upchurch as his artist, too. What a great book - so happy to review this book each month.

I love this book on so many levels. 1. Kurtis can actually write fantasy story that doesn't make me (a past D&D-er) feel like some sort of social misfit for liking the genre, 2. there are women in the book, and yet, they're actual characters - not 2-dimensional sex object (like women are often portrayed in fantasy books), 3. it still manages to be funny in the laughing WITH you sort of way, and 4. there's also some time taken to develop the characters as opposed to dealing in shorthand stereotypes.

And let's be honest here: Kurtis hit gold with his Upchurch as his artist, too. What a great book - so happy to review this book each month.

I think you nailed it on the head. This is a great book and Upchurch absolutely rocks (thumbs u

Just loving this book so far. (thumbs u

+1

I just got mine today and was happily surprised. I had very high expectations for this series and when I have in the past, most series have disappointed. This book crushes it. I already care what happens to each of the 4 leading ladies and that usually takes a minute. Betty is part Sherlock Holmes, part Velma from Scooby Doo and 100% adorable yet badass. Vi seems to be the rebel of the bunch. Hannah appears to be the leader and I haven't quite pegged Dee Dee but still like her.

This issue had less jokes, which I thought I would miss, but a better story than the first 2 issues and I really didn't think it could get much better. The art style. Is exceptional. There is a splash page that really stands out but it is high quality from start to finish. This is easily becoming a top 5 read for me.

I never thought a big ear woman would be cute until Betty.

Allo folks!

Thanks for all the kind words about Rat Queens! Lots of love from all kinds of comic readers, which has been rewarding.

We actually just got two huge nominations on IGN. Vote if you want!

Best New Series:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2013/Best_New_Comic_Series

Best Independent Series:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2013/Best_Independent_Comic_Series

Allo folks!

Thanks for all the kind words about Rat Queens! Lots of love from all kinds of comic readers, which has been rewarding.

We actually just got two huge nominations on IGN. Vote if you want!

Best New Series:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2013/Best_New_Comic_Series

Best Independent Series:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2013/Best_Independent_Comic_Series

That's awesome, Kurtis. I'm loving Rat Queens! I don't double-dip often but this is definitely a series where I'm picking up the monthlies and the trades when they come out.

I gotta say that I read #1 just the other day because it was in my reading box from my last preorder from months ago. I loved it, and probably will get the last couple of issues before I go on another hiatus from comic buying. Being broke while in school sucks &@!!$.