• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie 1-10 +50 CLUB
12 12

1,011 posts in this topic

You sure that "A" isn't an ink stamp?

Definitely looks like a printed ink "A" to me. It's the same color blue as the rest of the type on the page.

BUT... I just noticed the "A" is in a slightly different place on the two "A" variants I've shown.

Some of you other Archie 1 owners need to chime in on whether your copy has an "A" on the back cover.

Maybe we need to call this the "Shifting A" variant.

I too have an "A" on my Pep comic. Not sure if all of them,have it or what it even means.

What issue of PEP? 22? Does it have the same back cover?

I was thinking the "A" might have meant Archie, but if it's on the old PEPs that wouldn't make sense.

Maybe it's a registration mark of some kind? Can any of you board members who were printers maybe chime in on what this is?

I just dug out my undercopy of Archie 1 and it has the "A" in the EXACT same location as the 7.5 restored copy on ComicConnect.

Again, this is not a huge deal, but I think it shows there were 2 printings of Archie 1.

It's kind of like the "period" variant on the Batman 1 cover.

The bottom of the back cover of my PEP COMICS #60 and #62 have the

letters "Pep"... the back cover of ARCHIE #26 has "ARC"...the back cover

of BLACK HOOD #19 has "BH"...and my SUPER DUCK #40 has "S D".

mm

Okay. You made me look. My Archie #1 has the "A" on the back cover. So do #'s 2 and 3 but not 4. Some of my Pep's have the "P" so it is for the title. I had Suzie #51 nearby and it has "Su" on the back cover.

I am sure you already looked, but if you go back to page 8 I posted both my back covers and both have the A.

Ok, we've established that many of the Archie 1 comics have an "A" on the back (which stands for "Archie" obviously) And many PEPs have a "P" on the back.

But, many of the Archie 1 comics DON'T have an "A" on the back. And it's not because it's been cropped off, it's because there are two different versions.

I am sure you already looked, but if you go back to page 8 I posted both my back covers and both have the A.

Ok, we've established that many of the Archie 1 comics have an "A" on the back (which stands for "Archie" obviously) And many PEPs have a "P" on the back.

But, many of the Archie 1 comics DON'T have an "A" on the back. And it's not because it's been cropped off, it's because there are two different versions.

I'm not sure how they managed comic printing and distribution back then but I wonder if the comics were printed at one central location or at several different printers across the country. I've collected old records for years and there are often differences between original pressings due to their being pressed at different plants around the country.

I'm not sure how they managed comic printing and distribution back then but I wonder if the comics were printed at one central location or at several different printers across the country. I've collected old records for years and there are often differences between original pressings due to their being pressed at different plants around the country.

If that's so, I'll bet all the old Archie titles that we're seeing with an "A" or "P" or "J" or "BH" were all done at the same printer.

Ok, from looking at a bunch of Archie 1 backs, I see 3 variations.

Archie 1 with no "A" on back cover

Archie 1 with an "A" at the bottom under the "g" in guarantee.

Archie 1 with an "A" at the bottom under the "$1.98" price.

What do you think? Three different printings?